Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

This game has way too much stupid "Fall Damage"

Jeremy
Jeremy
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭✭
As the title suggest, this game and its "Fall Damage" is very dumb. I can't even go down a flight of stairs in some Battlegrounds without taking "Fall Damage". Just get rid of it - especially in battlegrounds. There is enough damage flying all over the place without having to worry about taking damage every time my character (who apparently has legs made of brittle) has to hop down off some platform to escape a pack of blood thirsty players. Just remove it. It's very stupid.
  • nekura
    nekura
    ✭✭✭
    Coming from DAoC (that had fall damage) and is ESO’s spiritual PvP predecessor... the fall damage in this game is broken, unenjoyable and lacks meaningful strategy.
  • Jeremy
    Jeremy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    nekura wrote: »
    Coming from DAoC (that had fall damage) and is ESO’s spiritual PvP predecessor... the fall damage in this game is broken, unenjoyable and lacks meaningful strategy.

I never played DAoC so I can't really relate. But I think fall damage kills me in battlegrounds more than actual players do (and I'm not exaggerating). I literally take damage going down a flight of stairs sometimes. That's how ridiculous it is.
  • Dr_Ganknstein
    Dr_Ganknstein
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    nekura wrote: »

Hell yeah daoc was awesome. I think the game needs fall damage. One example is when a structure is overran by enemies you make the decision to stand and die fighting or jump and run. Fall damage adds to danger imo. I can understand bugged out fall damage. Battlegrounds I can understand removing it from the initial starter point.
  • xylena_lazarow
    xylena_lazarow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Icky wrote: »
    Fall damage adds to danger imo. I can understand bugged out fall damage.

You can fall hundreds of meters off a cliff, bounce off a rock at the bottom, and take zero damage. Meanwhile, you severely injure yourself walking down stairs.
    PC/NA || CP/Cyro || RIP soft caps
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    You need to have some fall damage. Like in that one BG with the center platform you teleport up to, without fall damage everyone would just try to snipe from the outside and then run away.

Someone mentioned once you can block fall damage, I’m not sure if it’s true.

Self healing is so high in this game I miss using fall damage tactically. In other games you used to be able to run in circles off a cliff as a healer when someone tried to PK you. Your damage was so low you’d kite and use the fall damage to damage your enemy, because you could heal and they couldn’t. Fun times!
    Edited by Iskiab on July 3, 2019 2:07AM
    Looking for any guildies I used to play with:
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
    LoC EQ2 - Mayi and Iskiab
    Condemned and Tabula Rasa - Rift - Iskiab
    Or anyone else I used to play games with in guilds I’ve forgotten
  • Thogard
    Thogard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can’t think of a greater example of a learn to play problem than this one.
    PC NA - @dazkt - Dazk Ardoonkt / Sir Thogalot / Dask Dragoh’t / Dazk Dragoh’t / El Thogardo

Stream: twitch.tv/THOGARDvsThePeasants
    YouTube: http://youtube.com/c/thogardpvp

• Delsskia
    Delsskia
    ✭✭✭✭
    True story... About a year ago I jumped UP onto a rock in Cyr and took 9k fall damage.
    NA-PC
    Fantasia
  • wishlist14
    wishlist14
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Delsskia wrote: »
    True story... About a year ago I jumped UP onto a rock in Cyr and took 9k fall damage.

😂😂😂😂😂 I wanna fall UP too
  • NordSwordnBoard
    NordSwordnBoard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Unless a knockback happens, you do it to yourself?

As others mentioned, you have to adjust to terrain that's dangerous. It's a gamble the player chooses to escape this way.

I know the stairs you mean, the snowy Orc map.
    Fear is the Mindkiller
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Iskiab wrote: »

Someone mentioned once you can block fall damage, I’m not sure if it’s true.

That was a glitch that has been patched out.

Edited by Nestor on July 3, 2019 1:02PM
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Jeremy
    Jeremy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh I believe you don't worry. The fall damage on this game is just ridiculous. This game treats your character like your Mr. Glass.
    Edited by Jeremy on July 4, 2019 7:09AM
  • Jeremy
    Jeremy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thogard wrote: »

And I can't think of a greater example of a none productive response than this one.

When your character takes "fall damage" going down a flight of stairs... sorry, that' s not a "learn to play" problem. I literally have to turn my character around backwards and moonwalk down the stairs to avoid taking damage. That's just dumb. I don't care if you're greatest player in the world. It's still dumb.
    Edited by Jeremy on July 4, 2019 7:24AM
  • Jeremy
    Jeremy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Unless a knockback happens, you do it to yourself?

As others mentioned, you have to adjust to terrain that's dangerous. It's a gamble the player chooses to escape this way.

I know the stairs you mean, the snowy Orc map.

Sometimes knock backs get me. But it's usually me doing it to myself - like foolishly believing I can go down a flight of stairs without taking damage - or run off some small hill that looks harmless but ends up killing me because apparently my guy's legs are made of rubber and ceramic.

I wouldn't mind taking damage if you leap/fall from great heights. But the distance needed to start causing you damage on this game is way way too low. It needs to be scaled upward by a lot. It's overkill on this game.
    Edited by Jeremy on July 4, 2019 8:24AM
  • Maulkin
    Maulkin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    wishlist14 wrote: »

😂😂😂😂😂 I wanna fall UP too

if you know... you know

vBUudWB.png
    EU | PC | AD
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Is this a thread made by bunny hopping sorcs who occasionally take fall damage when hopping down ramps?

I don’t get it, I only take damage when I fall.
    Edited by Iskiab on July 4, 2019 11:24AM
    Looking for any guildies I used to play with:
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
    LoC EQ2 - Mayi and Iskiab
    Condemned and Tabula Rasa - Rift - Iskiab
    Or anyone else I used to play games with in guilds I’ve forgotten
  • Thogard
    Thogard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jeremy wrote: »

And I can't think of a greater example of a none productive response than this one.

When your character takes "fall damage" going down a flight of stairs... sorry, that' s not a "learn to play" problem. I literally have to turn my character around backwards and moonwalk down the stairs to avoid taking damage. That's just dumb. I don't care if you're greatest player in the world. It's still dumb.

My mama told me that if I run down the stairs then I’m gonna fall and hurt myself.

Lowkey though try dodge rolling at the top of the flight of stairs so your momentum doesn’t carry you off the lip of the flight.
    Edited by Thogard on July 4, 2019 1:43PM
    PC NA - @dazkt - Dazk Ardoonkt / Sir Thogalot / Dask Dragoh’t / Dazk Dragoh’t / El Thogardo

• Varaug_Gaming
    Varaug_Gaming
    ✭✭✭
    you can always play a wood elf :)
  • Jeremy
    Jeremy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

My mama told me that if I run down the stairs then I’m gonna fall and hurt myself.

Lowkey though try dodge rolling at the top of the flight of stairs so your momentum doesn’t carry you off the lip of the flight.

Just my character's regular speed causes it to happen. I don't have to be running/sprinting. And dodge rolling eats up way too much stamina for that to be an effective solution. I need every ounce of stamina I have to break the endless spam of CC on this game. So I can't afford to be burning it every time I want to go down a flight of stairs.

The better solution would be to just ease up on the fall damage on this game. Your character should be able to fall a couple of feet without hurting himself. Hell, even I can do that - and I don't defeat Daedric Gods on a regular basis. It's just silly.
    Edited by Jeremy on July 5, 2019 6:56PM
  • Jeremy
    Jeremy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    you can always play a wood elf :)

That's actually a tempting prospect. I may burn one of my race tokens to do just that.
  • Firstmep
    Firstmep
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Fall dmg is the great equaliser in pvp.
    No amount of armor and defensive buffs can protect you from it.
    My favourite type is when i fall 2 feet from a small pebble and just die to 30k fall dmg.

;););)
  • Thogard
    Thogard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Just my character's regular speed causes it to happen. I don't have to be running/sprinting. And dodge rolling eats up way too much stamina for that to be an effective solution. I need every ounce of stamina I have to break the endless spam of CC on this game. So I can't afford to be burning it every time I want to go down a flight of stairs.

The better solution would be to just ease up on the fall damage on this game. Your character should be able to fall a couple of feet without hurting himself. Hell, even I can do that - and I don't defeat Daedric Gods on a regular basis. It's just silly.

well maybe if you were fast enough IRL to defeat daedric gods, and running around at that speed 100% of the time you were moving, you might end up falling and hurting yourself too.

• iCaliban
    iCaliban
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just hate that it seems like if you flame reach or javelin someone off a bridge/cliff they dont take fall damage.
  • Jaimeh
    Jaimeh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    And then, to add insult to injury, the death recaps from fall damage say: 'Watch your step'. :D
  • Jeremy
    Jeremy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

well maybe if you were fast enough IRL to defeat daedric gods, and running around at that speed 100% of the time you were moving, you might end up falling and hurting yourself too.

Nah. Any character capable of destroying Daedric Gods should be able to go down a flight of stairs without hurting themselves. There are some things that are just too ridiculous to rationalize away. This is one of those things.
    Edited by Jeremy on July 5, 2019 10:46PM
  • Thogard
    Thogard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Nah. Any character capable of destroying Daedric Gods should be able to go down a flight of stairs without hurting themselves. There are some things that are just too ridiculous to rationalize away. This is one of those things.

Yeah cause you wouldn’t run down the stairs at Mach 5, which is what’s causing the fall dmg. If you were in a dead run or a sprint, and you were coming up on stairs, you’d slow down.

You’d walk down the stairs like an adult.

But you aren’t using walk speed now are you?

Checkmate.

• Jeremy
    Jeremy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Yeah cause you wouldn’t run down the stairs at Mach 5, which is what’s causing the fall dmg. If you were in a dead run or a sprint, and you were coming up on stairs, you’d slow down.

Checkmate.

As I have already told you twice now, I take damage going down the stairs normally without sprinting. It has nothing to do with whether or not someone is an adult....and the only way for me to avoid taking damage going down the stairs is for me to literally turn around backwards and moon walk down them.

We're also not playing chess. But if we were, the supposed "checkmate" would be on your end. Because what's causing the damage is the ridiculously small threshold for fall damage in this game. It needs to be broadened substantially. Whether or not someone is an adult or sprinting has absolutely nothing to do with this.

Edited by Jeremy on July 6, 2019 1:17AM
  • Thogard
    Thogard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Checkmate.

As I have already told you twice now, I take damage going down the stairs normally without sprinting. It has nothing to do with whether or not someone is an adult....and the only way for me to avoid taking damage going down the stairs is for me to literally turn around backwards and moon walk down them.

We're also not playing chess. But if we were, the supposed "checkmate" would be on your end. Because what's causing the damage is the ridiculously small threshold for fall damage in this game. It needs to be broadened substantially. Whether or not someone is an adult or sprinting has absolutely nothing to do with this.

You’re walking down the stairs? I don’t think so buddy.

Use toggle walk and walk down the stairs.

Ez fix.

Checkmate.

• Jeremy
    Jeremy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Checkmate.

Ez fix.

Checkmate.

Yeah that's EZ fix alright Thogard. Let's toggle into slow walk during a battleground to go down the stairs while blood thirsty players are chasing you.

If you think that's "checkmate" you obviously don't bg much. That or you just enjoy death - because I've never seen anyone ever in my entire existence of playing this game use the walk toggle during PvP.... and for good reason. Because it's suicide. But I guess according to you no adults actually play this game. We must all be children since adults know better and toggle into walk to use the stairs...

Just admit it's silly that the fall damage threshold on this game is so small players can even take damage while going down a flight of stairs and stop trying to play chess with me.
    Edited by Jeremy on July 6, 2019 3:33AM
  • Koensol
    Koensol
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Checkmate.

Ez fix.

Checkmate.
    If you think that's "checkmate" you obviously don't bg much. That or you just enjoy death - because I've never seen anyone ever in my entire existence of playing this game use the walk toggle during PvP....
    I've never seen anyone ever in my entire existence of playing this game cry about fall damage.
  • Jeremy
    Jeremy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Koensol wrote: »

Checkmate.

Ez fix.

Checkmate.
    If you think that's "checkmate" you obviously don't bg much. That or you just enjoy death - because I've never seen anyone ever in my entire existence of playing this game use the walk toggle during PvP....
    I've never seen anyone ever in my entire existence of playing this game cry about fall damage.

This is a forum where people go to voice their complaints about the game. That's not "crying". It's called doing what you are suppose to do on a forum.

So if you don't like reading my complaints about fall damage - I suggest you just avoid my threads about it. Because going into other people's threads and accusing them of "crying" for pointing out what they believe are legitimate problems with the game is not particularly productive either.

Players should not have to toggle into slow walk and creep down a pair of stairs - especially in a pvp environment - to avoid taking fall damage. That's a ridiculous solution. The better solution would to simply increase the distance players can fall before taking damage. That or simply remove it. Also: I see people complain about fall damage all the time. You should hear my brother curse about it. I've seen him die in Cyrodil from fall damage just by gliding off a small hill. lol
    Edited by Jeremy on July 6, 2019 3:46PM