Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Client Download Issues

duskowner95
Hi... So, I've noticed this: After a few minutes of inactivity, my download speed drops dramatically, until I move my mouse or something, and then it starts rising up again to the usual 500 kb/s... Now. My MAC does not go to sleep, not the system nor the screen, and I download stuff daily and this has never happened before... But it is a great problem, because last night I went to sleep with 500 kb/s and 11% download, and I woke up with 20 kb/s and 11% download... Does anyone have any suggestion? Once again, with any other kind of downloads this does not happen...
Like this it's going to take days... can't even go to drink a glass of water O.O
  • Moonraker
    Moonraker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hi... So, I've noticed this: After a few minutes of inactivity, my download speed drops dramatically, until I move my mouse or something, and then it starts rising up again to the usual 500 kb/s... Now. My MAC does not go to sleep, not the system nor the screen, and I download stuff daily and this has never happened before... But it is a great problem, because last night I went to sleep with 500 kb/s and 11% download, and I woke up with 20 kb/s and 11% download... Does anyone have any suggestion? Once again, with any other kind of downloads this does not happen...
    Like this it's going to take days... can't even go to drink a glass of water O.O
    Not sure why that would be happening. There were some reports of slow download but it has a range of causes.

Can you post your system details including OS X version, model;

Apple icon (top left of menu bar) > About This Mac > More info…

Do you have Power Nap enabled? If so either disable it in:

System Preferences > Energy Saver > Enable Power Nap

or you can disable it via;

Right Click the Launcher, select Get Info and click Prevent App Nap

I have not any issue with slows downs myself. I find the Launcher actually keeps the Desktop active and prevents the screen from sleeping (not good even for an LCD display over extended periods of time) But check the Nap.
  • duskowner95
    Hi, thanks for the reply... So, I have a mid-2011 iMac, Processor 2,5 GHz Intel Core i5, Memory 12 GB 1333 MHz DDR3, Graphics AMD Radeon HD 6750M 512 MB, Software OS X 10.9.2 (13C64)....
    I have checked the Nap, but as I said before that's not the problem, my mac never goes to sleep, I disabled it long ago... but still I did that last step you said, preventing the app nap on the launcher, let's hope that helps! I'll let you know
  • Moonraker
    Moonraker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hi, thanks for the reply... So, I have a mid-2011 iMac, Processor 2,5 GHz Intel Core i5, Memory 12 GB 1333 MHz DDR3, Graphics AMD Radeon HD 6750M 512 MB, Software OS X 10.9.2 (13C64)....
    I have checked the Nap, but as I said before that's not the problem, my mac never goes to sleep, I disabled it long ago... but still I did that last step you said, preventing the app nap on the launcher, let's hope that helps! I'll let you know
    Hope it helps. If not I saw this suggestion on MacRumors forum:
    Pause and restart should fix the "slow download" problem..

Not sure if it does help but thought it's worth posting.

Quit the Launcher before trying these next things then relaunch and try again.

Disable OS X Firewall

Also worth ensuring the OS X Firewall is switched off during download and that any router firewall is not blocking it in some way.

System Preferences > Secuirty & Privacy > Firewall

This is in OS X 10.9 Mavericks, It may be slightly different in other versions.

Because they use a CDN network for distributing the seed files (Akamai it seems mostly) then it can be that a certain source is slow. You might trying checking is a public DNS could help which it has before so such issue (basically may find another source file location):

Change your DNS

Change your DNS settings to a public DNS server (non-ISP).

I used Google: 8.8.8.8, 8.8.4.4

On the Mac, to change the DNS server IP addresses go to:

System Preferences > Network > Advanced… > DNS

Note the existing ones usually automatically added by your ISP then change them for the Google ones of other you prefer. Remember to Apply changes after clicking OK when done.

also:

Reset DNCP Lease

System Preferences > Network > Select the network you are connected to (indicated by green circle)> Click Advanced > Click Renew DHCP Lease
  • ultimatewarriorking
    I am currently having the same issue, I left it for an hour and now it wont download anymore, even after shutting everything down and back up. I am a bit puzzled, especially as to why, in the lower left hand corner, it says "web request failed". Can anyone help?
  • Moonraker
    Moonraker
    ✭✭✭✭
    I am currently having the same issue, I left it for an hour and now it wont download anymore, even after shutting everything down and back up. I am a bit puzzled, especially as to why, in the lower left hand corner, it says "web request failed". Can anyone help?
    From the PC Tech Support - Known Issues;
    My launcher stopped downloading at XY% giving me the error message: Webget request failed!
    You might want to let the error sit for about 15 minutes, sometimes, the download will resume. Try to close the launcher and run as administrator when re-launching. if that doesn't help. To run as administrator, go to program files, right-click on launcher.exe and choose: "Run as Administrator".
    If you have a desktop shortcut and try to open the launcher from there, try to run it directly from the program files. Sometimes malware causes the webGet to fail, so running an anti-virus program can fix this issue as well.
    *Update:
    Customers currently using Trend Micro protection software may need to to make sure there is an exception for The Elder Scrolls Online.
    The run as Administrator is PC specific. Just ensure you have Admin rights for the User account you are using;

System Preferences > Users & Groups > Admin below User name to right side.

For general network issues try these various things suggested in this post.