The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

New types of AoE

EdgarMoose
Heyho!

With the last Dungeon DLCs and Raids there were added some new AoE areas - at least I'm confused about it now. These areas are displayed very differently.

The classic: The normal red area that does damage. In MHK the werewolves also have red areas around them - but they do no damage. Some areas now only have a border, but the content is not colored. Also, there are now areas that have only a border at first and are filled slowly or quickly with color. And some attacks don't seem to have an area, although they at least look as if they were AoE. Probably I even forgot another kind...

Are there differences? What are they? Are newer types of AoE blockable as tank? Are there more options to display AoEs?

As a DD for years, I stay away from all AoEs - even if you occasionally have to run into one to share the damage (Is this kind displayed differently?). Now that I've discovered Tanking for myself, I'm more interested in ground attacks.

Thank you for your help!
Edited by EdgarMoose on June 30, 2019 8:27AM

Best Answers

• Seraphayel
    Seraphayel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The red circles that slowly fill are AoEs that need to “charge“ first before they activate their effect, e.g. Bone Totem from Necromancers. When you place it you will see the red circle that slowly starts to fill and after 2 seconds the Totem fears you. It’s like a casting/activation indicator for AoEs.
    Edited by Seraphayel on June 30, 2019 6:02PM
    PS5
    EU
    Aldmeri Dominion
    - Khajiit Arcanist -
    Answer ✓
  • darkblue5
    darkblue5
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    EdgarMoose wrote: »
    Okay! And how do the red circles with border and no filling work?

Pretty sure those depend on the particular mechanic, sadly.
    Answer ✓
  • Noldornir
    Noldornir
    ✭✭✭
    darkblue5 wrote: »
    EdgarMoose wrote: »

Pretty sure those depend on the particular mechanic, sadly.

^

If you are talking about "ring" looking AoE there are many and they can be:

"regular" AoE with just a different shape: usually the border is pretty wide you can see some o this in DSA and I think the intention is just to hit you if you try to get away from them. Not rly an issue tho and don't remember many of em in dungeons n such.

"very thin" border ones:

These usually depends on mechanichs. You can see most of em in trials and some in DLC dungeons (Frostvault)

these are mechanic-related and you need to learn them "place-by-place" in frostvault 4th boss there's one (from ice atronach) that FORCE you (tank) to stay inside it while avoiding the atro sweeps. If you hit the border there it's 1-shot.

The AoEs for sharing damage usually have a different color (yellow/orange) but there are not many (Cloudrest, Blackrose, Sunspire but rly not many instances).

About "blocking" an AoE=

most of them are blockable, it does not depend from the AoE color/size but the attack type; all "burst" AoE are usually blockable
    Answer ✓
  • EdgarMoose
  • Noldornir
    Noldornir
    ✭✭✭
    "very thin" border ones:

These usually depends on mechanichs. You can see most of em in trials and some in DLC dungeons (Frostvault)

these are mechanic-related and you need to learn them "place-by-place" in frostvault 4th boss there's one (from ice atronach) that FORCE you (tank) to stay inside it while avoiding the atro sweeps. If you hit the border there it's 1-shot.

---

Wide border ones:

"regular" AoE with just a different shape: usually the border is pretty wide you can see some o this in DSA and I think the intention is just to hit you if you try to get away from them. Not rly an issue tho and don't remember many of em in dungeons n such.

It's part of a tank fun to learn what THIS AoE means??? :D

Test it and see if you can dodge, block, just stand in there ignoring etc. there's no "general" rule for these AoEs they just indicate "watch out this is NO standard AoE"

---

Forgot in previous post:

In MHK the werewolves also have red areas around them - but they do no damage.

I think you are referring to the adds that enrages everything during last boss: basically you DO NOT want the Wolves (Zel & Ary ) or the boss to get in that AoE or they get enraged doing so much more damage (wolves in particular)
  • EdgarMoose
    Thank you for your second post! I don't know why but all your answers seem to be pinned on the top of this topic after I accepted them. It was't a new question. Just my old one now with new position.

Thank you! Very helpful!