The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Game crashes randomly all the time, some times leading to full PC crash!

alexpitt1994b16_ESO
Hi there,
I've been playing ESO way more actively since around 3 months prior to Elsweyr launch and the game ran like a dream, no issue save for some frame rate drops here and there.
However, ever since the Elsweyr update, my client will randomly crash for no apparent reason. There's no correlation between each crash either, im always doing something different, whether it be talking to a vendor, or more infuriatingly doing a veteran dungeon with guild for pledges.
I have tried repairing the client which hasn't worked, so im lost for a fix.
Any ideas?

Im also playing with a few add ons installed that ill list bellow -
AUI - Advanced UI
CustomCompassPins
Destinations
HarvestMap
LibAddonMenu
LibMapPins
LibStub
LoreBooks
Lost Treasure
MinMap by Fyrakin
SkyShards

Also, this is one of the log files that i've gotten, one of many -

====================================================================
eso has stopped working.

[reporter]
version = 0.01

[extra]
ProductName = eso
Version = eso.live.5.0.9.1817548
branch = live
char.account = pimmo
char.alliance = 2
char.name = Thauravor Verelnim
client.executablebits = 64
client.mode = inworld
client.renderertype = D3D11
client.session_start_timestamp = 2019-06-24T16:26:14.829Z
client.time_since_load = 147
client.timestamp = 2019-06-24T16:29:52.047Z -frme 19195-
client.uptime = 217.2
computer.name = DESKTOP-923UA1D
computer.user = Alexp
cpu.arch = 9
cpu.count = 4
cpu.level = 6
cpu.type = 8664
data.depotid = 4000
data.dir = D:/Program Files (x86)/ZenimaxOnline/The Elder Scrolls Online/d
data.syncm = databuild
data.version = 4000.win.1817645.live.1817548
exe.buildnum = 1817548
exe.opt = release
exe.reltype = public
exe.type = client
gfx.description = 26.21.14.3086
gfx.deviceid = 7040.1635989570.161
gfx.driver = NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080
gfx.vendorid = 4318
globby.address = 159.100.232.107
globby.port = 24505
loc.wloc = 823 42428 14871 35932 -17.20
loc.world = DUN Fungal Grotto II
loc.worldid = 823
loc.zone = Fungal Grotto II
login.address = 159.100.232.107
mem.system_physical = 8133
mem.total_current = 2739
mem.ws_current = 1827
mem.ws_peak = 1954
os.osbits = 64
os.platform = windows
os.version = 10.0.17134.
ptime = 217379
realm.depotid = 0
realm.id = 4001
realm.name = EU Megaserver
reportfield.ver = 3
version.major = 5
version.patch = 0
version.subpatch = 9
  • Palerion
    Palerion
    Soul Shriven
    Hey there,

I've got a post on this forum about frequent crashes as well, and I've done very extensive testing on my system to try and get to the bottom of it. What I'd recommend to you, just to eliminate some of the variables, is to obviously completely remove the addons if you haven't already. You can re-install them one by one and test to make sure your system is stable once we've fixed your crashes.

Now, I'm curious if the cause of your crashes is similar to the cause of mine (as the behavior certainly sounds exactly the same), so I'd recommend you do the following and post your results back here:

Open start menu -> type "event viewer -> press enter -> click the arrow next to "Windows Logs" -> click the "System" tab.

Scroll through the events and look for any warnings. I've been getting WHEA-Logger errors, only when I run ESO, and one of the ZOE folks responded to my forum posts stating that my diagnostic file included something about a memory leak--whether at the fault of the game or of my system I do not know.

If you find any errors in your event viewer then we can take it from there. If not, we can continue searching for a different source of the problem. If you haven't already submitted a support ticket, I'd recommend doing that just to make sure your issue is on file, and provide them with a game consultant file by doing the following:

Open ESO launcher -> click the gear at the top right -> Go to "About" -> click "Game Consultant" -> click "Run Tests"

When the tests finish, click "Open Report Location" and place the report somewhere that you'll be able to access it and attach it to your support ticket.

Best of luck to you. Since I'm experiencing the same issues, I'll be on the forums relatively frequently, so feel free to keep updating.
  • alexpitt1994b16_ESO
    Palerion wrote: »
    Hey there,

I've got a post on this forum about frequent crashes as well, and I've done very extensive testing on my system to try and get to the bottom of it. What I'd recommend to you, just to eliminate some of the variables, is to obviously completely remove the addons if you haven't already. You can re-install them one by one and test to make sure your system is stable once we've fixed your crashes.

Now, I'm curious if the cause of your crashes is similar to the cause of mine (as the behavior certainly sounds exactly the same), so I'd recommend you do the following and post your results back here:

Open start menu -> type "event viewer -> press enter -> click the arrow next to "Windows Logs" -> click the "System" tab.

Scroll through the events and look for any warnings. I've been getting WHEA-Logger errors, only when I run ESO, and one of the ZOE folks responded to my forum posts stating that my diagnostic file included something about a memory leak--whether at the fault of the game or of my system I do not know.

If you find any errors in your event viewer then we can take it from there. If not, we can continue searching for a different source of the problem. If you haven't already submitted a support ticket, I'd recommend doing that just to make sure your issue is on file, and provide them with a game consultant file by doing the following:

Open ESO launcher -> click the gear at the top right -> Go to "About" -> click "Game Consultant" -> click "Run Tests"

When the tests finish, click "Open Report Location" and place the report somewhere that you'll be able to access it and attach it to your support ticket.

Best of luck to you. Since I'm experiencing the same issues, I'll be on the forums relatively frequently, so feel free to keep updating.

This was very helpful thank you very much!

I've checked through my Windows Logs and im also getting WHEA-Logger error while game is open, up until it crashes. So there might be something going on there, I haven't tried playing without addons yet, so ill get back to this post when i've tried that.
    I also have the report you mentioned at hand now too.

Hopefully we can figure something out, been really enjoying this game as of late and i don't want to have to go back to WoW just because it doesn't crash.
  • alexpitt1994b16_ESO
    I left the game running with no add-ons and it still crashed, after about 20 minutes of running with 5 WHEA-Logger issues occurring within the 20 minute run time. Add ons are not the issue, which means its solely the base game.
  • alexpitt1994b16_ESO
    I have also just tried repairing the game after uninstalling all add ons and its made absolutely no difference. Game still crashes after about 20 minutes of run time.
  • ZOS_Bill
    ZOS_Bill
    admin
    @alexpitt1994b16_ESO

Could you post or link to either a DxDiag or game consultant report?

Getting more details on your current PC setup will be helpful in troubleshooting your ESO crashes.
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
  • alexpitt1994b16_ESO
    ZOS_BillE wrote: »
    @alexpitt1994b16_ESO

Could you post or link to either a DxDiag or game consultant report?

Getting more details on your current PC setup will be helpful in troubleshooting your ESO crashes.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=12TOgNO03DHihrJ5SnrHKXUbm8kpyWoZV - That's a link to my Game Consultant report.
    Thanks for getting back to me.
  • Alucardo
    Alucardo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think I've located the issue. It happened around this line

• alexpitt1994b16_ESO
    Alucardo wrote: »
    I think I've located the issue. It happened around this line

how do you mean?
  • ZOS_Bill
    ZOS_Bill
    admin
    @alexpitt1994b16_ESO

Thank you for posting your game consultant. After looking over the report, it looks like you're running both Avast Antivirus and Windows Defender as your anti-virus programs. Go into each of these programs and ensure that ESO and the ESO Launcher are added as exceptions. As you play on PC-EU, you can also try switching to the PC-NA megaserver to see if the same crashes still happen.
    Staff Post
  • alexpitt1994b16_ESO
    @alexpitt1994b16_ESO

Thank you for posting your game consultant. After looking over the report, it looks like you're running both Avast Antivirus and Windows Defender as your anti-virus programs. Go into each of these programs and ensure that ESO and the ESO Launcher are added as exceptions. As you play on PC-EU, you can also try switching to the PC-NA megaserver to see if the same crashes still happen.

Thank you, i will give this a go and see if any changes occur.
  • alexpitt1994b16_ESO
    @alexpitt1994b16_ESO

Thank you, i will give this a go and see if any changes occur.

eso has stopped working.

[reporter]
    version = 0.01

[extra]
    ProductName = eso
    Version = eso.live.5.0.9.1817548
    branch = live
    char.account = pimmo
    char.alliance = 2
    char.name = Thauravor Verelnim
    client.executablebits = 64
    client.mode = inworld
    client.renderertype = D3D11
    client.session_start_timestamp = 2019-06-28T09:33:27.615Z
    client.time_since_load = 476
    client.timestamp = 2019-06-28T09:43:24.712Z -frme 34155-
    client.uptime = 597.1
    computer.name = DESKTOP-923UA1D
    computer.user = Alexp
    cpu.arch = 9
    cpu.count = 4
    cpu.level = 6
    cpu.type = 8664
    data.depotid = 4000
    data.dir = D:/Program Files (x86)/ZenimaxOnline/The Elder Scrolls Online/d
    data.syncm = databuild
    data.version = 4000.win.1817645.live.1817548
    exe.buildnum = 1817548
    exe.opt = release
    exe.reltype = public
    exe.type = client
    gfx.description = 26.21.14.3086
    gfx.deviceid = 7040.1635989570.161
    gfx.driver = NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080
    gfx.vendorid = 4318
    globby.address = 159.100.232.24
    globby.port = 24504
    loc.wloc = 899 149178 16543 350135 159.80
    loc.world = SU Summerset
    loc.worldid = 899
    loc.zone = Summerset
    login.address = 159.100.232.24
    mem.system_physical = 8133
    mem.total_current = 3556
    mem.total_peak = 3889
    mem.ws_current = 2080
    mem.ws_peak = 2211
    os.osbits = 64
    os.platform = windows
    os.version = 10.0.17134.
    ptime = 599979
    realm.depotid = 0
    realm.id = 4001
    reportfield.ver = 3
    version.major = 5
    version.patch = 0
    version.subpatch = 9
  • alexpitt1994b16_ESO
    After setting up exceptions on my anti virus for ESO im still getting this crash. I haven't switched to NA however, as im not willing to start a new character to fix a crash.
  • ZOS_Bill
    ZOS_Bill
    admin
    @alexpitt1994b16_ESO

One more step you can take is making sure Windows is completely up to date, as outdated Windows drivers can contribute to ESO crashing.

Download and install the latest version of DirectX here.

Download and install the Visual C++ update here.

To ensure there are no issues, you should check that you have all Windows updates installed (using Windows Update), including both the required and optional updates.
    Staff Post
  • alexpitt1994b16_ESO
    @alexpitt1994b16_ESO

One more step you can take is making sure Windows is completely up to date, as outdated Windows drivers can contribute to ESO crashing.

Download and install the latest version of DirectX here.

Download and install the Visual C++ update here.

To ensure there are no issues, you should check that you have all Windows updates installed (using Windows Update), including both the required and optional updates.

Ok i've seemingly fixed it, i was trying all the fixes reccommend but nothing was happening, so I had did a full re-install of windows wiped everything and reinstalled. Now it works a dream, not sure where it went wrong in the end with it, but wiping my computer and reinstalling everything did the trick.
    Can't say this is a fix everyones going to want to try though.