The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Is it possible to have master crafting on two characters and still have enough points to do endgame?

Galerane
Galerane
Soul Shriven
When I started, I wasn't any a guild so I didn't know this would be an issue. I play two different characters, one with blacksmithing, woodworking, and clothing. The other with alchemy, provisioning, and enchanting. I am being told to make only one a crafter and one and endgame character. The problem is the first is pretty maxed out in everything and has almost all the traits, the second is maxed in alchemy and provisioning with many high-end, purple recipes. So do I really need to change, is there no way to be able to do both on both characters?
  • Dojohoda
    Dojohoda
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, there is enough skill points in the game for one toon to be a master crafter and an endgamer.
    Fan of playing magblade since 2015. (PC NA)
    Might be joking in comments.
    -->(((Cyrodiil)))<--
  • ghastley
    ghastley
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What is important is to have all the crafting on the same character(s). Don't split up the crafting skills across characters because - motifs apply to all the equipment skills, so you'd need extra copies of everything - furnishing plans require levels of multiple crafts - and probably more I didn't think of.

I started off with a crafter, and a combatant, and they both ended up spending skill points in the other set. There are a lot more skill points available than you'd ever use. Although you can spend them all on a single character and still have skills you haven't unlocked, they'd be duplicate abilities that never get placed on your bars. Most end-gamers have points unused.
  • Vermethys
    Vermethys
    ✭✭✭✭
    My two main characters are both Grand Master Crafters and have enough points for all crafting, for their PvE tank builds and for their PvP builds at the same time. I think it requires around 280 skill points (not skyshards) and it's definitely possible.
    PC EU CP1400+
    In-game Username: Vermilion98

Characters & Builds
    Edith Geonette [DC Imperial Sorcerer] (AR28)
    Gorgo Aendovius [AD Imperial Dragonknight] (AR28)

My Builds:
  • tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My main character is my main crafter. Has all skill points in crafting (other than research, is 9-trait). Fully unlocked all healer skills, a bunch of dps skills, etc. All the passives. She also has all but 24 skill points (from PVP) unlocked. So it takes a lot of work.
    Tenacious Dreamer - Hurricane Herald - Godslayer - Dawnbringer - Gryphon Heart - Tick Tock Tormenter - Immortal Redeemer - Dro-m'Athra Destroyer
    The Unchained - Bedlam's Disciple - Temporal Tempest - Curator's Champion - Fist of Tava - Invader's Bane - Land, Air, and Sea Supremacy - Zero Regrets - Battlespire's Best - Bastion Breaker - Ardent Bibliophile - Subterranean Smasher - Bane of Thorns - True Genius - In Defiance of Death - No Rest for the Wicked - Nature's Wrath - Undying Endurance - Relentless Raider - Depths Defier - Apex Predator - Pure Lunacy - Mountain God - Leave No Bone Unbroken - CoS/RoM/BF/FH Challenger
    61,215 achievement points
  • Grianasteri
    Grianasteri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Galerane wrote: »
    When I started, I wasn't any a guild so I didn't know this would be an issue. I play two different characters, one with blacksmithing, woodworking, and clothing. The other with alchemy, provisioning, and enchanting. I am being told to make only one a crafter and one and endgame character. The problem is the first is pretty maxed out in everything and has almost all the traits, the second is maxed in alchemy and provisioning with many high-end, purple recipes. So do I really need to change, is there no way to be able to do both on both characters?

There are more than enough skill points available in the game for a character to fulfil both crafting and be built for end game content.

Getting the skill points is another matter! But if you go on a run for an evening to pick up the skyshards, this can significantly increase your skill points.
  • JKorr
    JKorr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    You can be a maxed crafter and do everything else; it just takes skill points and time to get the skill points.

Back before the craft bag existed, I split my crafting; one character got all the motifs first, and handled the smithing, clothing and woodworking. The second character got all the recipes first, and did the enchanting and alchemy too. Then I discovered the problem that caused when master writs started; with normal writs any correctly crafted item counts but master writ items have to be crafted by the character that accepted the writ. I knew my provisioner knew the Orcrest Pale Ale recipe, so I accepted the writ....on my smith/clothing/woodworking crafter. A lot of help from guildmates and 14k later, I got another copy of the recipe so my smith could learn it and turn in the writ. After that, I sort of defaulted everything to the one crafter. Both of them know 9 traits, but not every motif or recipe is duplicated.
  • redlink1979
    redlink1979
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    My main is my jack of all traits, skills points are more than enough for PvE, PvP, crafting, ect... As stated above by others.
    "Sweet Mother, sweet Mother, send your child unto me, for the sins of the unworthy must be baptized in blood and fear"
    • Sons of the Night Mother [PS5][EU] 2165 CP
    • Daggerfall's Mightiest [PS5][NA] 1910 CP
    • SweetTrolls [PC][EU] 1950 CP
    • Bacon Rats [PC][NA] 1850 CP
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    While I have many characters who can craft. I have only one Master Crafter. She also has every armor, weapon and class skill unlocked. I have enough skill points to fully invest in Crafting and Combat and Support skills. But, she has almost all the skyshard, has completed all PvE content that gives skill points, but just a few AvA ranks. So, she could garner another 45 to 50 SPs, but they are not needed.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• DaveMoeDee
    DaveMoeDee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    If you earn the skill points, sure. If you skip a lot of content, it gets trickier. Especially if your build requires a lot of skill points. My main tank requires me to make some choices, but none of them impact combat or crafting, though they can leave me without any available skill points if I need to unlock another skill for a particular fight. My main does all 7 crafts and even has some keen eyesight unlocked. He also has some points in legerdemain and all the hirelings. Making him a vampire would cause me to have to cut some skills. I also have QoL skills like rapids that I don't actually use in endgame content, but which are very necessary to not hate life when doing quests.

I could get a decent number of additional skillpoints if I forced myself to grind them in PvP, but I find it hard to return there after unlocking all the skills.

There are also some annoying compromises I have had to make, like not using better stamina dps options when questing because I don't have the skill points for it after investing in s&b and destro staff.

Some of these issues are due to being a tank and how tedious single player content becomes when you hit for so little damage while easily surviving. I usually just run past all mobs when questing and just engage what I need to engage to finish quests. I also don't like carrying a lot of gear when questing because I would like to go for as long as possible before having to unload and I want to be ready to join a group activity on a minutes notice if an opportunity arises.
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dojohoda wrote: »
    Yes, there is enough skill points in the game for one toon to be a master crafter and an endgamer.

This, easily with how man SPs available and still have some left over.
    ghastley wrote: »
    What is important is to have all the crafting on the same character(s). Don't split up the crafting skills across characters because - motifs apply to all the equipment skills, so you'd need extra copies of everything - furnishing plans require levels of multiple crafts - and probably more I didn't think of.

This but really only for the armor and weapons. For furniture crafting it is easy to level up the crafts and put minimal points into them for the various crafts. Just make sure you consume the furniture bluprints, et al, on the correct character if you plan to split them up.

In reality the consumables are the easiest to level up anyhow.
  • redlink1979
    redlink1979
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    "There are several methods of earning skill points, listed below, up to a current total of 424 points (as of patch 5.0):

a) Leveling your character, up to level 50 (64 Skill Points)
    b) Completing quests in the main quest (11 Skill Points)
    c) Completing quest chains in the Dominion, Covenant, Pact, and Coldharbour main storylines (49 Skill Points)
    d) Completing the Imperial City storyline (1 Skill Point)
    e) Completing the Reforging Orsinium storyline (3 Skill Points)
    f) Completing the Summerset storyline (3 Skill Points)
    g) Reading the Folium Discognitum (Optional quest reward from Mages Guild quest chain) (2 Skill Points)
    h) Completing the primary quest chain of the Thieves Guild storyline (6 Skill Points)
    i) Completing the primary quest chain of the Dark Brotherhood storyline (8 Skill Points)
    j) Completing the Divine Power, Morag Tong, and House Telvanni quest chains on Vvardenfell (3 Skill Points)
    k) Playing or skipping the tutorial quest in the current chapter: Broken Bonds, The Mind Trap, or Bright Moons (1 Skill Point - only one of these quests can be completed by any given character, and those created prior to Morrowind cannot get any of them.)
    l) Completing the primary quest chain of the Clockwork City storyline (8 Skill Points)
    m) Completing the primary quest chain of the Murkmire storyline (7 Skill Points)
    n) Absorbing skyshards (113 Skill Points, 34 more including all DLCs)
    o) Ranking up in the Alliance War (50 Skill Points)
    p) Completing group challenges in public dungeons (16 Skill Points, 8 more including Orsinium, Vvardenfell, Summerset and Elsweyr)
    q) Completing group dungeons (24 Skill Points, one for each completed dungeon storyline quest in the base game, 12 more including those added by Imperial City, Shadows of the Hist, Horns of the Reach, Dragon Bones, Wolfhunter, and Wrathstone)
    r) Completing Orsinium Maelstrom Arena (1 Skill Point)"
    "Sweet Mother, sweet Mother, send your child unto me, for the sins of the unworthy must be baptized in blood and fear"
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    "There are several methods of earning skill points, listed below, up to a current total of 424 points (as of patch 5.0):

Good info. I think there is an addon that can tell you what skill points a character has and which ones they are missing. I thought I still had it but seems I removed it already.
  • redlink1979
    redlink1979
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    idk wrote: »
    I think there is an addon that can tell you what skill points a character has and which ones they are missing.

No addons here. I play on PS4.

Maybe you're thinking about this:
    https://www.esoui.com/downloads/info1863-UrichsSkillPointFinder.html
  • FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    idk wrote: »
    I think there is an addon that can tell you what skill points a character has and which ones they are missing.

No addons here. I play on PS4.

Maybe you're thinking about this:
    https://www.esoui.com/downloads/info1863-UrichsSkillPointFinder.html

This kind of functionality should be in the game so it would also be on the PS4. Quit leaving out key functionality!

One note for those who may not know: You can get skill points every so often from running the main quest lines in each area. I didn't know that at first, so it is possible others didn't realize it. You can also get skillpoints (not just a single skyshard) from every Public Dungeon by completing an event specific to that dungeon as far as I know. I have not found an exception to that, so I assume it is all of them.
    PC
    PS4/PS5
  • redlink1979
    redlink1979
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    This kind of functionality should be in the game so it would also be on the PS4. Quit leaving out key functionality!

Yeah but there's Sony and their position towards addons...
    One note for those who may not know: You can get skill points every so often from running the main quest lines in each area. I didn't know that at first, so it is possible others didn't realize it. You can also get skillpoints (not just a single skyshard) from every Public Dungeon by completing an event specific to that dungeon as far as I know. I have not found an exception to that, so I assume it is all of them.

I detailed all that in my post above.

Edited by redlink1979 on June 28, 2019 11:18AM
  • FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Yeah but there's Sony and their position towards addons...

That is why I said to put it in the game, not leave it as an addon.

Anything that is a "must have" addon should be in the game.

PC
    PS4/PS5
  • Mancombe_Nosehair
    Mancombe_Nosehair
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have separate crafters for equipment and consumables; it works very well if you don't have plus.

I was under the impression that motifs don't impact consumables, so it shouldn't matter too much.

At the end of the day, if it works for you, then do what you prefer.
  • DaveMoeDee
    DaveMoeDee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I have separate crafters for equipment and consumables; it works very well if you don't have plus.

I was under the impression that motifs don't impact consumables, so it shouldn't matter too much.

At the end of the day, if it works for you, then do what you prefer.

This is how I started at launch. My main crafted equipment. I had a separate character I didn't really play with who could improve the quality of equipment and refine mats since that didn't require motifs. A third did provisioning and learned recipes and a fourth did enchanting. Then I decided I wanted to everything on my main because I hate switching characters to do crafting.