Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [IN PROGRESS] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Some questions before starting.

TankinatorFR
TankinatorFR
✭✭✭
Hello every-one.

So, I have been playing eso for years, but only in PvE, and I am thinking about changing it. Not by much as I prefer to PvP on games with proper support roles, but... anyway.
As I hate getting somewhere unprepared, I spent a lot of time preparing myself, but the problem is that a lot of things seems to have changed.
So, before I jump in the EU PC cyrodiil like a flower and die on the first passing ganker... I'd like to ask you some questions.

So, first, factions. I have rerolls in all factions, so I can afford joining any of them. Any advice on a faction particularly suited for a start ? Or oppositely, harder ? I've read that AD got the lower hand on most campaign, if not all ; so maybe it's not the best way to learn the map.

Then campaign. All informations I can find regarding the different campaigns are dating from the old naming scheme. What about now ? Is there still major difference between the different campaigns ?

And I think that's all, assuming all the different guides I've read are still valid. But If you have an advice, I am all ears.

• SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    - Start by picking a daily time frame where you expect you will be playing the most.

- Then go through all campaigns (without setting them to your home campaign) and look around during those hours and see what faction(s) is/are dominating.

- Pick a campaign according to your play preferences.

Want to play it safe?
    Pick a campaign where one faction is dominating during your play hours. Run with them, learn the ropes.

Want more of a challenge?
    Pick a campaign where two factions usually duke it out during your play hours. Join either one of them.

Want to play hard mode?
    Pick a campaign where one faction is always on the losing end during your play hours and join them.

post-2-1445282250.gif

PS: There is no "better" or "worse" faction. That's BS from people who have developed a personal bias for a certain alliance. If you look at the servers, most of them have a different alliance dominate at different times of the day. Just because you can't see a certain alliance dominate (because you are sound asleep) doesn't mean they aren't playing the game.

Edited by SirAndy on June 24, 2019 6:02PM
  • zyk
    zyk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ESO PVP has lots of room for support builds. Most medium and large groups I ran with utilized dedicated support builds. Small groups have less room for a dedicated support build, but support functions will still be covered in a well-optimized group.

"zerg surfing" is used as pejorative by some, but it can be a lot fun and very gratifying if one enjoys helping faction-mates. I used to enjoy adding support functions to my builds when surfing. Just by using sets like Transmutation or Spell Power Cure can make a huge difference and can help randoms wipe organized groups.
  • TankinatorFR
    TankinatorFR
    ✭✭✭
    Support in ESO aren't the same as in other games. In some games, you can dedicate yourself to support entirely. Not by tanking or healing, but by controls, buffs/debuff, and utilitarian skills like teleport or deflect.
    In ESO, there is nothing like intercepting an attack destined to someone else and nullify it, or reducing by 60% the armor of the enemy tank for as long as you are alive and close to him, or spam stunning the healer (not killing, just keeping him immobile and useless) right when the enemy team need his help... Or suddenly appear in the back of the guy who was trying to perma-stun your healer and perma-stun him in return... And don't even get me on those mages who prepare them-self to unleash their most powerful power but are silenced halfway through the incantation... :D
    That's what support do. it's not about killing or healing, it's about creating windows of opportunities for your teammates and closing them for your opponents.
    I've already give a try to ESO's PvP years ago, and I found it really... selfish. Everyone was just self-bulfing-self-healing-self-debuffing and using all remaining slots to kill what stand in front of them.
    It's because of the toolkit I think ; there is really few purely utilitarian skills.
    But I will have a second look at it with your advices in mind, even if it will "not be as funny as some other games".

@SirAndy If I am right, you've answered the two questions I've asked today on two topics. I'll give you an awesome for this... :)
    You really are the first person I see saying this about the factions, but that's good to heard. I will have a look at the campaign list in the incoming days. Thank you for your advises.
    Edited by TankinatorFR on June 24, 2019 8:15PM
  • zyk
    zyk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ESO definitely has bona fide support roles that perform many of the functions you describe in one form or another. I've run in a lot of very good and highly organized groups that utilized them extensively. I know many of our formidable opponents did too. I'm a bit out of touch with ESO PVP atm, but DKs and Wardens in particular have great support abilities outside of healing.

Transmutation is an amazing set because it adds crit resistance to allies. Crit resistance is essential in PVP but often overlooked. But I referenced those sets in particular because they're easy to add to any build. I also play completely solo, so being able to survive and kill on my own is very important as well.

You have a very cynical view of ESO PVP to be honest. It caters to a variety of playstyles. Yes, there are players who always play self-sufficient builds. That's my preference too. But there is a very large community of guilds and ungrouped players who play the map and add support functions to their groups and builds.

To be blunt, if you play ungrouped unable mitigate damage and heal yourself, you will die a lot and have a terrible time. But you organize with other players, you can run pure support builds.
    Edited by zyk on June 24, 2019 8:50PM
  • dtsharples
    dtsharples
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you play morning play AD
    If you play Primetime play DC
    If you play Midnight + play EP
  • TBois
    TBois
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Support roles are generally utilized by more organized groups and guilds. So unless you play with or play against these groups frequently, they seem non existent.
    Current Guilds: Fantasia
    Former Guilds: Decibel, Hagnado, Lemon Party

PC/NA
    T-Bois (Stam Sorc since 1.4) - AD
    An Unsettling Snowball (Templar) - AD
    Bosquecito (Stam Sorc) - DC
    Peti-T-Bois (Stamden) - AD

Youtube
  • Durham
    Durham
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    TBois wrote: »
    Support roles are generally utilized by more organized groups and guilds. So unless you play with or play against these groups frequently, they seem non existent.

/agree You will be frustrated if you build a support charactor and run it in a pug people will not stay in your heals and no one will support "you". I suggest having two toons a support toon for a guild group and another self sufficiant toon that can zerg surf or at some point solo. Solo right now it kind of tough at times there is a huge learning curve that comes with it.
    PVP DEADWAIT
    PVP The Unguildables
  • Luede
    Luede
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hello every-one.

So, I have been playing eso for years, but only in PvE, and I am thinking about changing it. Not by much as I prefer to PvP on games with proper support roles, but... anyway.
    As I hate getting somewhere unprepared, I spent a lot of time preparing myself, but the problem is that a lot of things seems to have changed.
    So, before I jump in the EU PC cyrodiil like a flower and die on the first passing ganker... I'd like to ask you some questions.

PvP is a whole different game, some years of PvE experience do not bring anything. find a pvp build (its definetly not ur PvE build) and train a lot and after 100 hours u will be a little bit better.