The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Crown Store Suggestion: Hidden/Invisible Staff motif

catalyst10e
catalyst10e
✭✭✭✭
Something in TES IV: Oblivion that stuck out to me was the Bravil mage's guild recommendation quest. A Mage's staff is stolen and when asked about it Kud-Ei responds with "It's more symbolic than practical, but each carries great significance to its owner." This is touched upon later when you finally join the mages guild with Raminus Polus saying "Every mage carries a staff. It is crafted and enchanted by the guild, and is a symbol of status. You need such a staff." So Staves are very important to mages/wizards but for more ceremonial or status reasons rather than being conduits for their power.

So while my magicka Sorcerer has no issues carrying a mage's staff around, my Nightblade, and templar don't much care for them. Priests don't really carry staves, assassins or thieves don't usually have them on their back when completing "jobs".

So I propose a motif to hide the staff, giving the appearance of not having one in hand.

From a practical standpoint, something I noticed when playing my Nightblade and Necromancer, the staff tends to disappear then reappear when using certain abilities, and this (I feel) would enhance them more, as there's no longer a staff to disappear and reappear, just the fluid animation of the skill on display.

I'd only ask this to be for Staves, as this would prevent people from asking "If I cant see the weapon how will I know what they're using?"
The "point" of the staff where the animations for light and heavy attacks come from can/should be moved down closer to the hand to have an appearance more like the magic is being fired from the hand.

Thoughts?
"Why settle for just stabbing your foes when you can roast them alive in a gout of arcane fire?"
[| DC Breton Sorcerer || NA PS4 || PSN: Catalyst10e |]
[| DC Dunmer Dragon Knight |]
  • Kiyakotari
    Kiyakotari
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would love this. Heck, this could be some kind of premium Crown feature, and I would pay for it. I even have a character (RP-heavy nerd here) who uses a staff, but who carries it around with him as a kind of...er...part of his body, and only summons it when he wants to work some truly heavy-hitting magic. It drives me nuts that in game, I have to either disarm him, or have him have a staff on his back at all times. :/:(
  • AlienSlof
    AlienSlof
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    +1 for sure!
    Bionic Crazy Cat Lady
  • Mykriz
    Mykriz
    ✭✭✭
    Yes please!

I have never played magic based character because I hate how the staffs look. If I could at least have the illusion of hand casting I would make a magic character instantly.
  • bluebird
    bluebird
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Absolutely, yes!!! That we're forced to use staves in a TES game even though spellcasting looks awesome with hands alone is criminal, and ESO is especially bad due to the light attack weaving... My sorc is throwing out frag procs with her hand one moment then spastically grabs her staff for a split second to fire off a light attack projectile then the staff spastically disappears again as she calls down a pool lightning... it looks absolutely garbage and would look better if the staff would be invisible at least :lol:
  • Wolfpaw
    Wolfpaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yes please.
  • Kiyakotari
    Kiyakotari
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Edited by Kiyakotari on June 16, 2019 6:21PM
  • whitecrow
    whitecrow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    My one-handed weapons are invisible half the time and I hate it...
  • Mivryna
    Mivryna
    ✭✭✭
    I'd love to see this, but it would probably complicate the animations. It's not impossible, but animation-heavy character systems can be tricky to manage.

Still though, the assets do appear to be there. Re-purposing Overload's animations in a separate state might work.
  • TheShadowScout
    TheShadowScout
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So I propose a motif to hide the staff, giving the appearance of not having one in hand.
    ...while still doing the "staff!" animations?

Nah. That'd just look... wierd. In a "mime" sort of way...

I'd much rather have an alternate weapon for destro and resto magic, that is NOT a staff. But then, I posted that before, did I not?
    https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/371862/additional-weapon-skill-ideas-mk-ii/p1
    ;)