Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

What is best beginner necro build for pve?

Vahaka
Vahaka
Soul Shriven
Hello, Im new player (166cp), I started as necro Breton Magicka dps, now I read alot news that magcro is kinda bad, stamina is better but stam build are harder in gameplay (bigger dps but lower survivability), there was also that necrotanks are strong and I feel kinda lost in all this all.
What would be good/easy necro build for new player for killing solo packs and bosses in pve?
  • Most_Awesome
    Most_Awesome
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you're new forget what you read on here about bad dps etc.

For Magicka Necro you can slot anything and destroy everything in Overland content.

The way the forums work class A can kill boss in 5 mins 25 seconds, class B can kill boss in 5 mins 45 seconds = class B is total shite in dps and soooo bad.

• Vahaka
    Vahaka
    Soul Shriven
    Thank you, thats comforting :) For a moment I was thinking that I will have to make race change for stam/tank build.
    I will stick to magicka then.
  • ghastley
    ghastley
    ✭✭✭✭✭

For Magicka Necro you can slot anything and destroy everything in Overland content.

The way the forums work class A can kill boss in 5 mins 25 seconds, class B can kill boss in 5 mins 45 seconds = class B is total shite in dps and soooo bad.

The other part of this is that many people are telling you what they want you to use to benefit them. Especially with tank and healer builds, it's the DPS players wanting you to wear certain items, and slot certain skills for their benefit, not yours. Learn to ignore them, as they'll blame you for their own failings.
  • Grianasteri
    Grianasteri
    ✭✭✭✭✭

This ^

Relax about the opinions re magica and stamina. Both are entirely viable for all content and huge fun. The forums are by and large, populated by more players at the elite end of the player base spectrum, this skews what is being discussed away from the average player and makes it less relevant. An elite player cries about a few % difference, because at the extremes this can mean thousands of DPS. For the average player, a few % is literally negligible in relation to almost every aspect of the game.

Have fun!
  • Gundug
    Gundug
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I find stamina characters are easier to build for survivability actually. Nothing wrong with magicka though. For solo play, it pays to have skills that provide a reliable heal, reduce your incoming damage and buff your outgoing damage. I prefer to make a setup that allows me to approach anything in the game at my own pace, and not be reliant on other players to get through difficult encounters.

You would likely have Unnerving Boneyard on your back bar for the major breach debuff, along with Wall of Elements. Those skills are useful against groups and bosses and should be running all the time in those situations.

On your front bar, run a cheap spammable ability. You can have one that works best on single targets, and one that clears groups faster if you like. The Hungry Scythe skill is a decent skill against groups, since you can damage multiple targets and gain a heal while doing so. Against single targets, it is weak. For single target, possibly either Ricochet Skull, one of the Force Shock morphs (from the destruction staff line), or Elemental Weapon from the Psijic skill line, if you have it.

A good self or group heal is one of the morphs of Life amid Death. Either the version that consumes corpses to remove negative effects, or the one that adds a longer heal over time upon consuming corpses.

For extra survival, you can grab the shield skill from the light armor line.

I recommend one of the Bone Armor morphs. I usually go with Beckoning Armor, since I want all mobs centered around me, but you could go with Summoner’s Armor if you are using a lot of the summon abilities. I would also slot one of the Bitter Harvest morphs and use it whenever there are corpses around. Either Deaden Pain if you want more damage reduction, or Necrotic Potency to gain ultimate faster.

One of the morphs of Expunge is also useful. I prefer Expunge & Modify to get a little stamina and magicka back, but the other one removes more negative effects. A cleanse skill is always handy in solo play, since so many mobs have cheapo snares and other annoying debuffs they frequently apply.

If you are mostly doing a lot of leveling and running around from mob to mob, I would recommend investing in magicka sustain over damage, since you can run out quickly, and being stuck heavy attacking to try and get enough resources back to fire another skill can suck, especially if you find yourself being overwhelmed with damage. Overland stuff dies pretty quickly even if you don’t go full damage. For harder challenges, unless you are cranking out outstanding DPS, you will find sustain still helps more, since it allows you to avoid frantic situations where you have nothing left when you need it. Better to understand and be able to deal with mechanics than have to count on burning through them all the time. Eventually, you will edge more toward damage as you get more confident and practiced.
  • Sable751
    Sable751
    ✭✭✭
    I’m new to ESO but have played every ES game released. Generally I play a stealth character relying on bow skills. And that’s what I started off with and got to Lvl 18. Then for the fun of it I decided to play a Necromancer, and it has been fun
    I play solo and have got my Necromancer to LVL 21 in half the time it took me with my first character. And situations where I was instantly killed or out matched before, my Necromancer copes with quiet well.

I don’t pre-decide which skills I’m going to go for, so my build is based on what I feel like on the day.

However I’ve found the ‘Death Scythe’ combined with a (Dual Wield) ‘Blinding Flurry’ is an awesome combination. When my stamina runs out doing the Furry I can swap to the Scythe using magic and let my stamina return, and visa versa. The Scythe also restores your health, so no more quick slot fiddling (that really is a crap system). I think my Nerco has only ever drunk one restore health potion.

So I’ve ended up with a balance of magic/stamina. Which seems to be a no no from what I’ve read, but its working for me.

My advice have fun, and do what works best for you.
  • Vahaka
    Vahaka
    Soul Shriven
    Gundug wrote: »
    I find stamina characters are easier to build for survivability actually. Nothing wrong with magicka though. For solo play, it pays to have skills that provide a reliable heal, reduce your incoming damage and buff your outgoing damage. I prefer to make a setup that allows me to approach anything in the game at my own pace, and not be reliant on other players to get through difficult encounters.

You would likely have Unnerving Boneyard on your back bar for the major breach debuff, along with Wall of Elements. Those skills are useful against groups and bosses and should be running all the time in those situations.

On your front bar, run a cheap spammable ability. You can have one that works best on single targets, and one that clears groups faster if you like. The Hungry Scythe skill is a decent skill against groups, since you can damage multiple targets and gain a heal while doing so. Against single targets, it is weak. For single target, possibly either Ricochet Skull, one of the Force Shock morphs (from the destruction staff line), or Elemental Weapon from the Psijic skill line, if you have it.

A good self or group heal is one of the morphs of Life amid Death. Either the version that consumes corpses to remove negative effects, or the one that adds a longer heal over time upon consuming corpses.

For extra survival, you can grab the shield skill from the light armor line.

I recommend one of the Bone Armor morphs. I usually go with Beckoning Armor, since I want all mobs centered around me, but you could go with Summoner’s Armor if you are using a lot of the summon abilities. I would also slot one of the Bitter Harvest morphs and use it whenever there are corpses around. Either Deaden Pain if you want more damage reduction, or Necrotic Potency to gain ultimate faster.

One of the morphs of Expunge is also useful. I prefer Expunge & Modify to get a little stamina and magicka back, but the other one removes more negative effects. A cleanse skill is always handy in solo play, since so many mobs have cheapo snares and other annoying debuffs they frequently apply.

If you are mostly doing a lot of leveling and running around from mob to mob, I would recommend investing in magicka sustain over damage, since you can run out quickly, and being stuck heavy attacking to try and get enough resources back to fire another skill can suck, especially if you find yourself being overwhelmed with damage. Overland stuff dies pretty quickly even if you don’t go full damage. For harder challenges, unless you are cranking out outstanding DPS, you will find sustain still helps more, since it allows you to avoid frantic situations where you have nothing left when you need it. Better to understand and be able to deal with mechanics than have to count on burning through them all the time. Eventually, you will edge more toward damage as you get more confident and practiced.

Thank you for advise and tips :)

In magicka I run 2x destro staff, light armor (Necropotence and Mother's Sorrow).

1bar: Ricochet Skull, Stalking Blastbones, Skeletal Arcanist, Spirit Guardian, Resistant Flesh,
    ult: Ravenous Goliath
    2bar: Elemental Blockade, Mystic Siphon, Unnerving Boneyard, Summoner's Armor, Harness Magicka, ult: Glacial Colossus

I went in to stamina build to check stamina gameplay but I feel squishy, stam feels confortable and fast vs groups but vs single boss its like one mistake and Im ending dead.
    Thing is I still dont know much about game, I still running without food etc.

I was running 2h and bow, medium armor (Leviathan and Spriggans).
    1bar: Rally, Brawler, Ruinous Scythe, Blighted Blastbones, Reverse Slice
    ult: Flawless Dawnbreaker
    2bar: Necrotic Potency, Poison Injection, Skeletal Archer, Endless Hail, Resolving Vigor,
    ult: Pestilent Colossus

As far as Brawler gives cool shield on groups health is ok, but on single boss shield break from 1 hit, its like not much time to regen stam to hold shield up till boss will drop dead.
    It can be also this that I went in stam without race change, so I was in stam build as a Breton.
  • LadySinflower
    LadySinflower
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am not someone who goes for BiS everything and looks for the highest possible DPS. I just want to stay alive, eventually kill the enemy, and have a good time. I main a magicka nightblade that I love, but decided to try out a magicka necromancer. I was fighting dragons with her at level 7 with 3 skills on the bar and mix-and-match armor/weapons. At level 10 I crafted her training gear and a set of staves. Sure, the dragon killed her a lot, but she stayed alive and kicked butt quite a bit too. I find magcro to be lots of fun and I'm going to level this one as a healer. Don't listen to the whining and b*tching that goes on in here. I don't know what planet those people are from but there's nothing wrong with magicka necro for the average player who wants to have fun.
  • Veinblood1965
    Veinblood1965
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I made a magnecro, he started out with weak spells but around level 10 or so he got some AOE spells and at level 26 I lay out a few AOE's and mobs shrivel up like burning paper. I did a hybrid however, heavy armor 5 slots, light armor five slots and the other two slots stamina. He can take a hit and dish it out. Have to manage the majika however, but to be honest he's got crap enchants and his traits are just what was on the armor when i looted it.. If I added decent majika or damage enchants for his level, some actual standard sets like Julianos etc he'd rock. Most of these posts are about PVP damage from what I've read, ignore them IMO.

Just an FYI I didn't give him anything from my main which was fun. Didnt set any CP points either.
    Edited by Veinblood1965 on June 21, 2019 6:53PM