The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Add normal swords!

Mattys04
Mattys04
✭✭✭
I am tired of those weird swords with weirder blades, please add some more normal swords.. No Redoran or Hlaalu style, some normal looking swords. 514e7e552efcedc13d433c97bdceace322fa74e0_hq.jpg
6229503a8617a8e2429c390c81d4c2bc0f85bc19_hq.jpg
latest?cb=20171116034341
sbv-ice-ii1_l.jpg
  • TelvanniWizard
    TelvanniWizard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Yes please! We have way too many one blade sabers. Would be nice to have more normal swords like the ancient elf ones.
  • Acrolas
    Acrolas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Culturally speaking, "normal" is subjective.
    signing off
  • MagicalLija
    MagicalLija
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Daggerfall-Covenant-Iron-Sword-2.jpg?ssl=1

Primal-Dwarven-Sword.jpg

Akaviri-1H-Sword-lvl-36.pnghttpEUWe-c3fuitKcwHaQK&pid=15.1

• bluebird
    bluebird
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    But fantasy swords must be serrated for maximum efficiency! Even better if they have spikes on the crossguard, preferably facing towards the grip! Blade designs are also much better with holes on them, and being top-heavy and unbalanced helps with cutting! Oh, and oversized pommels with impractical shapes are great for ending your opponents rightly! :grimace:

Meridian-Rubedite-Sword-1.jpg?ssl=1
    Daedric-Calcinium-Sword-Superior.png
    Dead-Water-Iron-Sword-2.jpg?ssl=1
    Edit: Just to be clear, I'm being sarcastic. Agree with OP's idea, obviously :lol:
    Edited by bluebird on June 4, 2019 6:17PM
  • CMDR_Un1k0rn
    CMDR_Un1k0rn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Fantasy stuff is great.

But yeah we could do with more real western world designs.
    In-game username: Un1korn | Happy member of the PCNA UESP guild (Resident Daggerfall Covenant enjoyer) | Main & basically only character: Crucian Vulpin, Imperial Dragonknight of the Daggerfall Covenant, and Undaunted Bulwark (I tank) | Mountain bike enjoyer and vulpine appreciator | If you know me from PCEU: No
  • TonyRockaroni
    TonyRockaroni
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Personally, I prefer the not so normal-looking swords. But I hear what you're saying...and also think that there are quite a few sword designs that are fairly normal in appearance.

Nord-Dwarven-Sword-2.jpg?ssl=1
    Breton-Dwarven-Sword-2.jpg?ssl=1
    Dwemer-Dwarven-Sword-2.jpg?ssl=1
    Silver-Dawn-Iron-Sword-2.jpg?ssl=1
    Imperial-Dwarven-Sword-2.jpg?ssl=1
    Order-of-the-Hour-Iron-Sword-2.jpg?ssl=1
    Soul-Shriven-Iron-Sword-2.jpg?ssl=1
    Edited by TonyRockaroni on June 4, 2019 8:00PM
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think ZOS are pretty unlikely to put plain sword designs in the crown store, because they'd look too similar to the ones already in the game which makes it highly unlikely anyone would spend real money to get them.

If none of the designs currently in the game are acceptable for you I think you'd be better off asking for one as a new motif drop in-game rather than in the crown store. And being very clear on why none of the existing ones meet your standards and what specifically you'd like to see done differently, because there are dozens of sword designs in the game and if none of them are good enough it's unlikely ZOS are thinking along the same lines you are for sword designs.
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
  • Minyassa
    Minyassa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I would really, really love to see some guard hilt swords in the game. I would especially love to see a Schiavona type blade with the full guard, similar to this one:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQL8fQAC7dZwsfF5F3VLqFZC4W8izRVCVDN4OjBuJDSOwm6vkI
  • HappyTheCamper
    HappyTheCamper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have the blood forge sword n shield on my tank and I like them both!
  • InvictusApollo
    InvictusApollo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Most sword look like paddles in this game. Unrealistic and unimmersive.
  • Jayne_Doe
    Jayne_Doe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    A simple google search will easily reveal to you just how many different types of swords there are in the world and throughout history. The pictures you posted are just one type of sword. Calling the type of sword you like/prefer "normal" is rather naïve.
  • bluebird
    bluebird
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Jayne_Doe wrote: »
    A simple google search will easily reveal to you just how many different types of swords there are in the world and throughout history. The pictures you posted are just one type of sword. Calling the type of sword you like/prefer "normal" is rather naïve.
    Come on, you know what OP meant when he said he'd like less 'weird swords with weirder blades'. He even mentioned two specific ones, Hlaalu and Redoran:
    Hlaalu-1H-Sword.jpg
    Redoran-1H-Sword.jpg
    His issue clearly isn't based on some ignorance of the history or cultural diversity of swords, it's simply a request for more realistc sword designs. Calling a normal sword normal isn't naiveté, but calling many of ESO's swords 'sword' is, when many are more like 'oversized hacking objects with random spikes'. :smiley: So the 'weird swords with weirder blades' has nothing to do with 'different types of swords throughout the world and throughout history', it's just an exaggerated fantasy style.
  • UntilValhalla13
    UntilValhalla13
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    There's, what, over 50+ motif styles in the game? Not every one is going to look like some slight variation of medieval European weaponry. There's a decent amount of "normal" swords in the game. Considering it's a fantasy game, with fantasy cultures, that don't exist here in the real world, I imagine the designers have a bit more freedom in their interpretations. Trying to create weapons and armor that incorporate purely fictional aspects of a fictional culture, to have them stand apart from Nord, Redguard, and other actual real world sword designs/inspirations could be challenging. Not that my opinion matters in any form or fashion.
  • Integral1900
    Integral1900
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Low level version of a Breton sword should do the job
  • Harrdarrzarr
    Harrdarrzarr
    ✭✭✭
    Akaviri-Iron-Sword.jpg

Akaviri style 1 looks really nice. But yes, some swords are just overkill on it's design.