Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

How important are races?

Aneyh
Aneyh
Soul Shriven
Hi everyone,

I recently made a breton necromancer and am having a lot of fun with it. I like to switch up my role every once in a while to keep the experience fresh. Now, of course bretons make good magicka dps and healers, but I like to tank as well. Any build guide for tanks I've come across doesn't even have a breton listed as a race you could play for that build. So, how bad are bretons for necromancer tanking (or any race with any build they are not considered the best with)? I don't really care about minmaxing, but if breton tanks never get accepted into trials I probably don't want to bother getting good gear etc.
Thanks in advance!

Best Answers

• Froil
    Froil
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Races only really matter in endgame, whether PvE or PvP, that is Organized groups in Cyrodiil or veteran DLC dungeons and trials. And even then if you want to get in to those, just become a healer, though Bretons are good for magic damage too.
    As a tank though, Bretons are situational. They have increased mag resistance, but I believe most bosses do Physical to the tank, magic in any AoEs or mechanics. The "best" races for tanking are Nords, Imperials and Argonians. That being said, get a good group of friends or a guild that doesn't really care and you can do the endgame content as a Breton tank.
    Edited by Froil on June 5, 2019 9:02PM
    "Best" healer PC/NA
    Answer ✓
  • Rev Rielle
    Rev Rielle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can complete all content in the game, in any race-class combination. The developers have 100% made sure of that.
    Play absolutely whatever you like.
    If you can be anything, be kind.
    Answer ✓
  • rabidmyers
    rabidmyers
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rev Rielle wrote: »
    You can complete all content in the game, in any race-class combination. The developers have 100% made sure of that.
    Play absolutely whatever you like.

^
    at a place nobody knows
    Answer ✓
  • Dagoth_Rac
    Dagoth_Rac
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Most of the Necromancer skills useful for tanking cost magicka. Plus, some tanks back bar a frost or lightning staff. They get stronger enchantments than 1H+S and the Elemental Blockade skill can provide some nice debuffs on enemies. The extra magicka and magicka cost reduction of a Breton may not be min/max for a tank, but are still helpful.
    Answer ✓
  • Aneyh
    Aneyh
    Soul Shriven
    So I can tank when I want to and switch to healing if I really need to, I like that role a lot as well anyway.
    Thanks for the replies and advice! :)
  • cjhhickman39
    cjhhickman39
    ✭✭✭✭
    The only place race comes into play for me is if I want to be a werewolf or vampire.
    Then bosmer for werewolves and dumner for vampire because of passives that help offset the weakness of both
  • AcadianPaladin
    AcadianPaladin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    To me, race is absolutely critical. First thing I do when creating a character is select Bosmer. I would change games before changing race. Some would say that Bosmer has fairly poor stats - and I wouldn't disagree, lol - but what really counts is can she do the job well and be cute while doing it? The answer is a resounding yes.

She plays more magic characters than stamina ones but we don't care. I don't consider it a problem. Those she sometimes runs WBs, normal and vet dungeons with don't consider it a problem either.
    Edited by AcadianPaladin on June 13, 2019 7:39PM
    PC NA(no Steam), PvE, mostly solo