The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Game keeps booting me out (among other things)

GhostOfAnEra
GhostOfAnEra
✭✭✭
I've been experiencing tons of problems ever since the new EP came out. The most recent issues is that more than 5 times in less than 7 minutes the game booted me by giving me a message about an error that had occurred. Not only that, but my game crashed beforehand. If I stalled for about 30 seconds while on character selection, or even creating a character, the game boots me.

Other complaints I have include extra long loading screens, and some lagging. Also, the game has been freezing my computer quite frequently. The frequency has never happened before I had gotten Elsweyr. Normally, the freezing would happen once in a while, but it's been so frequent, up to the point of getting "freeze points" three times in one day.
  • ZOS_Bill
    ZOS_Bill
    admin
    @GhostOfAnEra

If you are getting the error message "an error has occurred" when logging in or getting disconnected, you can find troubleshooting in the thread below.

Cant Login
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
  • GhostOfAnEra
    GhostOfAnEra
    ✭✭✭
    @ZOS_BillE

That didn't help at all. I backed up the program data, repaired the launcher and restarted my PC TWICE, and I'm still getting an error message. I can't even create a new character without getting booted off on either server. I never had this issue before until the new EP was released. Been having myriad problems ever since.
  • ZOS_Bill
    ZOS_Bill
    admin
    @GhostOfAnEra

Since repairing and backing up the program data have not helped, let's go ahead and reinstall ESO on your PC. Under game options is the option to uninstall ESO. Once the uninstall is finished, reboot your PC and start installing ESO again. Please let us know if any errors come up during this process.
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
  • GhostOfAnEra
    GhostOfAnEra
    ✭✭✭
    Reinstall? Are there no other options? I submitted a ticket yesterday, and got no response thus far.
  • LiraTaurwen
    LiraTaurwen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    How about ZoS reinstalls the game on the servers and see if it fixes them????
  • Hollerboller
    Hollerboller
    ✭✭
    How about ZoS reinstalls the game on the servers and see if it fixes them????

Of course it would not fix anything.
    They decided to use a *** engine, despite having an example right bevore their nose. SWtor uses the same crap engine, a game released three years bevor ESO. Bioware or EA could never fix the engine.
    But for some mysterious reason ZOS thought "we can do it". Yeah right.
    I know it is all about making money, but once in a while hiring competent people would be beneficial.

PS: To OP. Don't reinstall the game. You just get generic advises that actually are not helpful 99% of the time. This is how support works.
  • GhostOfAnEra
    GhostOfAnEra
    ✭✭✭
    @Hollerboller

What else can I do then? There has to be some other way to fix this problem I have. I really don't want to reinstall a huge game to "solve" all of my problems, but I may have to if there's no other way for I don't want to play a broken game where I can't even make new characters by getting booted in less than a minute.
  • GhostOfAnEra
    GhostOfAnEra
    ✭✭✭
    Update: I am still experiencing problems with the game booting me and giving me a message that an unknown error had occurred. I tried everything possible up to no avail. I repaired my game and restarted my computer TWICE. Didn't work. I reinstalled my game. Didn't work. I made ESO and subfolders as exceptions in both my firewall and antivirus program. DIDN'T WORK.

Also, ZOS recommends open outbound ports, but I've read threads posted by users saying not to do it and that ZOS shouldn't even tell ESO players to open ports.
  • rumple9
    rumple9
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Same here - booted out every 5 minutes - no message
  • CaptainKuijt
    Random DC's with no error message and ping spikes on my end too. Been happening ever since the Elsweyr DLC was released.

Playing on PC EU.

So far I've tried to:

1. Open ports.
    2. Play without any addons at all.
    3. Repair the game.
    4. Re-install the game.
    5. Run the game as admin.
    6. Disable firewall on both my PC and on my router.

Nothing. The game was running fine until Elsweyr was released. It's blatantly obvious there's something wrong with the servers at this point, as I'm far from the only one experiencing this issue... Just look through the ESO subreddit and on the forums here.

Not a word from the devs on this, which could mean either one of these:

A: They don't know how to fix it
    B: They somehow haven't noticed the thousands of posts about these problems over the last two weeks
    C: They don't care

Of course, this is just pure speculation on my part, as we haven't heard anything from the devs on this at all. For all we know they could be working their butts on trying to figure out what is wrong with the servers.

• Shaie
    Shaie
    ✭✭✭
    The game was running fine until Elsweyr was released.

Exactly. When did "early access" become "pay to finish the beta"? Because that's what I feel is going on, in a nutshell. Even for early access, I've never seen so many bugs, issues & other problems as Elsweyr has. I don't recall having this many issues when Summerset launched, there may have been some lag but that's about it. Elsweyr has lag, more lag, incredible lag plus broken quests, missing assets and serious server instability.

• Noggin_the_Nog
    Noggin_the_Nog
    ✭✭✭
    The game was running fine until Elsweyr was released.

Exactly the same here.

Game is unplayable. I spent nearly two hours trying to complete 7 crafting writs on one alt - have 16 to complete on NA and 15 on EU. Multiple game crashes. The screen locks and no response to keyboard inputs, but can still hear game sounds. Either crashes to desktop with a bug report to complete or occasionally needing a hard reboot. Can happen whilst crafting, just walking about, porting or even character select. NA and EU are the same. And yes, ZOS, I have disabled add-ons and done a repair.

I normally play for several hours daily on both servers but there seems no point in logging in since Elseweyr.

• DarthVitrial
    DarthVitrial
    ✭✭
    Been happening to me too, every five minutes I get kicked to load screen. It's insufferable. And of course support keeps recommending the same garbage steps "disable addons, reboot, check firewall, run as admin" etc etc. Of course those never ever work.
  • rumple9
    rumple9
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Same for me. Log out every 5 minutes
  • Rackiera
    Rackiera
    ✭✭✭
    Please see the thread below, I just updated it, may not be the answer you wanted but it will at least save you time trying to do all the steps suggested by support.

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/418027/game-crash-update-news#latest

• GhostOfAnEra
    GhostOfAnEra
    ✭✭✭
    Been happening to me too, every five minutes I get kicked to load screen. It's insufferable. And of course support keeps recommending the same garbage steps "disable addons, reboot, check firewall, run as admin" etc etc. Of course those never ever work.

Got that right. I actually thought the problem was my driver, because it was outdated. Alas, that wasn't the case.

Here's the list of futile steps I did:

1. Repair game TWICE. Didn't work
    2. Reinstalled my game. Didn't work
    3. Made the game and subfolders as exceptions to my antivirus program and firewall. Didn't work
    4. Opened ports from firewall and antivirus program. Didn't work
    5. Updated my driver. Didn't work
    6. Removed all addons. DIDN'T WORK

I'm pretty sure that the problem is not on my part, because I never had this problem until Elsweyr came out, like I said. It's infuriating on how ZOS is saying it's the player's fault and keeps wasting our time by recommending futile steps and excuses. Fix the game and the servers already.
  • GhostOfAnEra
    GhostOfAnEra
    ✭✭✭
    Update: I thought the problem was my graphics card, since it was outdated. After updating it, I spent about twenty minutes in the character creation screen with no issue. Thought I was out of the woods, until just ten minutes ago where I was again in the character creation screen (was using a race change token), and guess what? I got booted AGAIN with the same error message.

I am so mad and at a loss. ZOS, fix the servers already and not leave customers angry in the dark.
  • Rackiera
    Rackiera
    ✭✭✭
    Read this, may help your understanding.

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/418027/game-crash-disconnect-update-news#latest

Starts from 2018, so don't hope for a fix anytime soon ... at least you know now ..
  • Korax
    Korax
    ✭✭✭
    YES! Lets all re-install... erm, I mean "kick the can down the road"...

As @Rackiera noted... this is an issue since 2018 at least. I haven't had luck playing this since Murkmire, so telling ppl to do all sorts of unsafe things with their router or re-installing the game is the worst type of support or delay tactics to keep us busy... EVER.

Infact, if ESO is the only piece of software that requires you to screw with your router to function, I'd suggest to ignore that piece of dangerous advice... lest anyones bank accounts gets cleard by some random hacker because of some compromising router settings.

IMO.

Better to instead of re-installing, rather uninstalling this piece of crap until ZOS can get their act together.
    I'm not trolling, I'm a genuine unhappy customer that would rather want to enjoy a good game rather than dealing with ****.
    Edited by Korax on June 6, 2019 5:00AM
  • ttman21b14_ESO
    ttman21b14_ESO
    Soul Shriven
    I am also having lockups/freezes ever since Elsweyr.
  • Noggin_the_Nog
    Noggin_the_Nog
    ✭✭✭
    Korax wrote: »
    I'm a genuine unhappy customer that would rather want to enjoy a good game rather than dealing with ****.

Game is still unplayable.

Multiple lockups - requiring a hard re-boot (never had this since gaming in the 1980's), or crashes to desktop with a Bug Report request. Many crashes per hour until I get tired of even trying to play. Game was fine until Elsweyr release.

I cancelled my ESO Subscription - giving reasons, and was intrigued when Customer Support contacted me. I am still following their advice from several e-mails, and trying to be optimistic.

Interestingly I have had some 'success'. It's not an area suggested by Support - but I have been adjusting Video Setting. With an i7 and an nVidia card I normally play at 2560x1600 resolution and all settings on high. I like pretty rather than performance - it works fine on Crysis so why not ESO?

Dropping down to 1920x1200, and then to 1600x1024, plus setting textures to medium and shadows to off, made ESO more stable. It still crashes but less frequently.

Can anyone remember playing the original ID Doom? Really blocky/pixelated screens - well that's what ESO looks like at these settings, but more 'stable'.

Is this related to ESO server performance? The amount of information sent to and from their servers. Or is it just my system?

Edited by Noggin_the_Nog on June 8, 2019 10:51AM
  • nickl413
    nickl413
    ✭✭✭✭
    I had 2 computers that were getting constant disconnects ever since elsweyr was released, and one computer that was not having any trouble at all. Kinda suggested the problem was on my end with those 2 computers. One of them I reinstalled windows and the game, it works fine now. The other one I simply updated windows, it also works fine now. The moral of the story is, try what support is asking you to do. It's kinda hard to blame the servers if the vast majority of people are not having any problems.
  • SirCyanideRose
    nickl413 wrote: »
    I had 2 computers that were getting constant disconnects ever since elsweyr was released, and one computer that was not having any trouble at all. Kinda suggested the problem was on my end with those 2 computers. One of them I reinstalled windows and the game, it works fine now. The other one I simply updated windows, it also works fine now. The moral of the story is, try what support is asking you to do. It's kinda hard to blame the servers if the vast majority of people are not having any problems.

I am NOT going to reinstall my OPERATING SYSTEM because a game keeps getting disconnected, when it was the game that updated. That is a ridiculous recommendation. I have no problems running a windows update, but a reinstall is out of the question.

• GhostOfAnEra
    GhostOfAnEra
    ✭✭✭
    This is fantastic. I was in character menu for less than a minute and the game booted me with an error message. I think the patch broke my game further.