The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Crafting Poisons with Alchemy

abrinckm
abrinckm
I have been experimenting with various ingredients to create different types of potions at the alchemy table. While experimenting I have discovered the ravage health effect and a few other harmful effects.

I am thinking that the poison functionality does not yet exist in this game? Because when I try to use the poison (to add the poison effect to my weapon) my character drinks it instead!

My question is: Am I correct in that they have not added any poison functionality into the game? Or am I not using this correctly? If they have not added this functionality, why or why not?
  • SirPuppingtonVonHat
    SirPuppingtonVonHat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They have not yet added poisons. From what I understand, the game we have now is sort of like the beginner sets of Magic: The Gathering. Its functional, its basic, and it lays the groundwork for far more complex and interesting systems to come.
    The Psijic Order
  • Castielle
    Castielle
    ✭✭✭
    Atalle added a really amazing potion guide here. It shows the harmful effects as well as positives.

Cas
  • Salsadoom
    Salsadoom
    ✭✭✭
    I think poisoning is great! Untill the NPC and PCs start using them on me
  • abrinckm
    abrinckm
    Wow! This games is absolutely amazing for just laying the groundwork! Imagine what it will be in the future. I'm looking forward to seeing them do more.
  • evil713
    evil713
    Then whats the point of crafting poisions if you cant use them now?
  • Tralix
    Tralix
    In the original games it was a debuff - some of the more advanced potions could be made from plants that had debuffs as a secondary characteristic - so you could have an incredible potion of +intelligence, but you'd have to take a hit to your stamina to use it (for example).
  • mattriddle
    You arent crafting poisons. You're crafting potions with bad effects. It's like mixing peanut butter and spaghetti, it just ends up bad.
    Streaming ESO twitch.tv/matzimazing M-F Noon-4PM EST
  • seanolan
    seanolan
    ✭✭✭✭
    No poisons so far. It's just like morrowind - but at high levels of alchemy, you can lessen or eliminate the negative. What I find crazy is there's a mushroom that has ONLY negative effect, and the mighty and formerly rare nirnroot has 3 negative to 1 positive.
  • veluccia
    veluccia
    I'm finding this issue rather frustrating. There are some ingredients with only negative effects, so they are useless at the point. There is also at least one effect (increase spell resistance) that cannot be made without also having the negative effect of decrease spell power. It seems to me they should have left out the negative effects until they are able to implement them.
  • Delte
    Delte
    ✭✭✭
    seanolan wrote: »
    No poisons so far. It's just like morrowind - but at high levels of alchemy, you can lessen or eliminate the negative. What I find crazy is there's a mushroom that has ONLY negative effect, and the mighty and formerly rare nirnroot has 3 negative to 1 positive.

It wouldn't be so bad if the potions with the bad effects had more to give when they were made.

A potions which lowers weapon power by 4 for example, but heals you for 93 health.
    Yet I can make a healing potion which heals me for 93 health and gives me another 60 over the next 10 seconds.

So there is no point to drinking the bad potions. This is not the Witcher game where there are side effects to get some buffs.

I wouldn't mind if this was the case but at present there is no point in using some plants till they add poisons.
  • abrinckm
    abrinckm
    I asked this question in the in-game help and just recently got this response from someone in the ESO team. You can read for yourselves here:
    Greetings!
    We apologize that this took forever to get back to you. I had to journey through many planes to find your answer. I even drank a few poisons myself along the way and met a few deaths by poison.

At this time, you can create poison potions, but are unable to apply them to weapons. Keep an eye out on
    our forums and patch notes for any announcements regarding potions.

If you click "use" you will drink the potion itself and you will get the effects on your personal character.
    Regards,
    Kathy
    The Elder Scrolls Online Team

:) She acknowledged the existence of poisons in the game and said that "At this time" we can't use them on weapons and to "Keep an eye out". I know people have been saying this but hearing this from a source within ESO confirms it for me.

Thank you for your response!
    Edited by abrinckm on April 12, 2014 9:59PM
  • Grendel3232
    That's what I love about this game, it will just keep getting better and better.