Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Would you pay almost 80,000 gold for a gold plating?

• Starlock
    Starlock
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hippie4927 wrote: »
    No way would I pay that much. I've pretty much given up on improving jewelry or doing jewelry master writs. My master crafter improved one piece of jewelry for the achievement gold dye and now I am done!

Same. The system is bloody stupid the way it was implemented and easily the biggest let-down "feature" created for the game thus far. It's enough to make me hope they never develop another new profession for the game.
  • Mojmir
    Mojmir
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SirAndy wrote: »
    The difference between purple and gold on Jewelry is minuscule ...
    shades.gif

This right here
  • wolfie1.0.
    wolfie1.0.
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Dojohoda wrote: »
    Maybe I would. I'm not going to say that I would not pay 80k for a gold plating. I've spent more than 80k on one motif and my dps didn't go up much at all, if any. :D

Hey we all know that you get extra dps by just looking legendary.
    Edited by wolfie1.0. on June 2, 2019 7:20AM
  • silvermistktralasub17_ESO
    There is a trick to getting gold platings. max out the temper perk (platings perk) on your jewelry crafter(s)...do daily writs (on multiple jewelry crafters with platings maxed if possible)...I run 16 characters with that through writs daily, and usually get 3-4 dust every day...sometimes more. It makes the acquisition of platngs much faster. (fast enough to make some of the jewelry writs worth doing, even).

(zos actually told us many months ago that plating expertise maxed increases chance for gold grains in writ boxes, hence why I run things this way).
    Edited by silvermistktralasub17_ESO on June 2, 2019 11:47AM
  • Hippie4927
    Hippie4927
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    There is a trick to getting gold platings. max out the temper perk (platings perk) on your jewelry crafter(s)...do daily writs (on multiple jewelry crafters with platings maxed if possible)...I run 16 characters with that through writs daily, and usually get 3-4 dust every day...sometimes more. It makes the acquisition of platngs much faster. (fast enough to make some of the jewelry writs worth doing, even).

(zos actually told us many months ago that plating expertise maxed increases chance for gold grains in writ boxes, hence why I run things this way).

That's all well and fine and I DO get gold dust from doing writs. What I don't very often get from anything is the purple dust. Most of the time when I decon purple jewelry, I get no dust. And you can't make jewelry legendary without first making it epic.
    PC/NA/EP ✌️
  • tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

where did ZoS say this? I have not seen anything that said this... perhaps I missed it.

I may need to go get a few more skill points on my crafters if this is the case.
    Tenacious Dreamer - Hurricane Herald - Godslayer - Dawnbringer - Gryphon Heart - Tick Tock Tormenter - Immortal Redeemer - Dro-m'Athra Destroyer
    The Unchained - Temporal Tempest - Curator's Champion - Fist of Tava - Invader's Bane - Land, Air, and Sea Supremacy - Zero Regrets - Battlespire's Best - Bastion Breaker - Ardent Bibliophile - Subterranean Smasher - Bane of Thorns - True Genius - In Defiance of Death - No Rest for the Wicked - Nature's Wrath - Undying Endurance - Relentless Raider - Depths Defier - Apex Predator - Pure Lunacy - Mountain God - Leave No Bone Unbroken - CoS/RoM/BF/FH Challenger
    60,005 achievement points
  • silvermistktralasub17_ESO
    it was mentioned in patch notes back in june or july of last year...I just remember things like this. *grins* good luck.
  • wishlist14
    wishlist14
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, but today I spent 2500k on a bone pirate necklace lol
  • Zer0_CooL
    Zer0_CooL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    wishlist14 wrote: »
    No, but today I spent 2500k on a bone pirate necklace lol

That would be 2.5 million gold. You sure? :/
  • tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    it was mentioned in patch notes back in june or july of last year...I just remember things like this. *grins* good luck.
    Jewelry Crafting Writs will no longer reward Terne, Iridium, or Zircon Grains. They will now only reward Chromium Grains, with the chance to obtain a Grain increasing with the rank of the Jewelry Crafting writ completed, similar to other durable trade skill writ rewards.

This is all I could find in the patch notes... These were from the Wolfhunter patch notes in early August.

Tenacious Dreamer - Hurricane Herald - Godslayer - Dawnbringer - Gryphon Heart - Tick Tock Tormenter - Immortal Redeemer - Dro-m'Athra Destroyer
    The Unchained - Temporal Tempest - Curator's Champion - Fist of Tava - Invader's Bane - Land, Air, and Sea Supremacy - Zero Regrets - Battlespire's Best - Bastion Breaker - Ardent Bibliophile - Subterranean Smasher - Bane of Thorns - True Genius - In Defiance of Death - No Rest for the Wicked - Nature's Wrath - Undying Endurance - Relentless Raider - Depths Defier - Apex Predator - Pure Lunacy - Mountain God - Leave No Bone Unbroken - CoS/RoM/BF/FH Challenger
  • Pops_ND_Irish
    Pops_ND_Irish
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Got 17 chromium platings
    All from refining. Takes a lot of jewelry, but its worth the grind
  • SoLooney
    SoLooney
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do jewelry writs on all your toons, I do it on all 15 and always gaining chromium grains and you get more from the surveys. I also raid quite a bit and decon any junk gold jewelry

I try to avoid upgrading jewelry if I can, it's expensive. I finally cracked when mothers sorrow necks never came into the vendor so I said screw that

Might have to use more platings if tzogvin jewelry dont show up soon :/
  • disintegr8
    disintegr8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    At the risk of getting shot down, I find gold is easy to make and if I really wanted to gold my jewelry I would pay it.

I have never done so, usually buying my gold jewelry when they come up in the Golden Vendor. Overland sets are always being on sold by PVPer's cashing in their AP and it's much cheaper than buying grains/ingots to gold your own.
    Australian on PS4 NA server.
    Everyone's entitled to an opinion.
  • Malborn66
    Malborn66
    ✭✭✭
    The only sane way to do this is to get your Toons fully skilled up for Jewellery, forage Mats and do the Daily writs.

It is slow but it does work, albeit there an issue with the Zircon Plating being rarer than the Gold. (Thanks a bunch for this ZOS!)

Malborn
    PC-EU
  • Asardes
    Asardes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    The average price on EU-PC is ~83K. From when the system was introduced I only fully upgraded one piece of jewelry, because I had transmuted it to infused - infused is one of the few traits that benefits from the upgrade from purple to gold - and I wanted the dye associated with the achievement. I'd rather farm the gold version of the jewelry if it's dropped readily in a trial, or simply use purple and wait till the gold version is stocked by The Golden in Cyrodiil - if it's a non-bound set I'll buy more to resell later. 300K AP is certainly worth much less than the ~250K gold, and for most sets and traits, the jump in stats from purple to gold is almost unnoticeable.
    Beta tester since February 2014, played ESO-TU October 2015 - August 2022, currently on an extended break
    vMA (The Flawless Conqueror) | vVH (Spirit Slayer & of the Undying Song) | vDSA | vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vMoL | vAS+1 | Emperor

PC-EU CP 3000+
    41,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Pact Veteran Trade: Exemplary
    Traders of the Covenant: God of Sales
    Tamriels Emporium: God of Sales
    Valinor Overflow: Trader
    The Traveling Merchant: Silver

Characters:
    Asardes | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 50 | Master Crafter: all traits & recipes, all styles released before High Isle
    Alxaril Nelcarion | 50 High Elf Sorcerer | AD AR 20 |
    Dro'Bear Three-paws | 50 Khajiit Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Veronique Nicole | 50 Breton Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Sabina Flavia Cosades | 50 Imperial Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Ervesa Neloren | 50 Dark Elf Dragonknight | EP AR 20 |
    Fendar Khodwin | 50 Redguard Sorcerer | DC AR 20 |
    Surilanwe of Lillandril | 50 High Elf Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Joleen the Swift | 50 Redguard Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Draynor Telvanni | 50 Dark Elf Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Claudius Tharn | 50 Necromancer | DC AR 20 |
    Nazura-la the Bonedancer | 50 Necromancer | AD AR 20 |

Tharkul gro-Shug | 50 Orc Dragonknight | DC AR 4 |
    Ushruka gra-Lhurgash | 50 Orc Sorcerer | AD AR 4 |
    Cienwen ferch Llywelyn | 50 Breton Nightblade | DC AR 4 |
    Plays-with-Sunray | 50 Argonian Templar | EP AR 4 |
    Milariel | 50 Wood Elf Warden | AD AR 4 |
    Scheei-Jul | 50 Necromancer | EP AR 4 |

PC-NA CP 1800+
    30,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Savage Blade: Majestic Machette

Characters:
    Asardes the Exile | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 30 |
  • tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Asardes wrote: »
    The average price on EU-PC is ~83K. From when the system was introduced I only fully upgraded one piece of jewelry, because I had transmuted it to infused - infused is one of the few traits that benefits from the upgrade from purple to gold - and I wanted the dye associated with the achievement. I'd rather farm the gold version of the jewelry if it's dropped readily in a trial, or simply use purple and wait till the gold version is stocked by The Golden in Cyrodiil - if it's a non-bound set I'll buy more to resell later. 300K AP is certainly worth much less than the ~250K gold, and for most sets and traits, the jump in stats from purple to gold is almost unnoticeable.

completely agree. many sets that are used drop in game in legendary quality, or are paired with a set that does drop legendary. People, in general, want things fast, cheap, and easy, which unfortunately is not how JC works, so people get frustrated.

The "new" traits are the only ones that noticeably change when upgrading (infused in particular), but if you're running "base" traits, the difference is negligible, and gold jewelry in may cases is only for bragging rights.
  • Asardes
    Asardes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I might add I'm not short of chromium platings since I run writs on 15 maxed out characters every day. From what I've seen thus far the drop rate for Chromium Grains is ~1/3, the same as for other gold quality upgrades such as Kuta, Rosin, Tempering Alloy and Dreugh Wax. I haven't noticed any difference between my main crafter, that has Plating Expertise III, and the other 14, who haven't, so the statement above is most likely incorrect.

And for jewelry crafting & upgrade the choke point is not Chromium (gold) but Zircon (purple). I have about 2 chromium platings for every zircon one in my craft bag right now, and that could be explained by the fact that writs don't drop the latter, even as dust, most purple jewelry has a sale value higher than the value of the Zircon you can recover from it multiplied by the chance of recovering it (~60% from what I've seen, with Jewelry Extraction III) so most of what I have comes either from refining what I get from surveys or pick casually, or deconstructing dungeon dropped purple jewelry I have no use for. In comparison, I get a lot of purple upgrades for the other crafts from hirelings so I end up with 2x as much than gold ones at least. IMO they should either adjust the writs so that they sometimes/always drop Zircon or even Iridium dust instead of the now overly common Zinc/Cobalt/Antimony at maximum tier, or add hirelings just like for the other professions.
    Beta tester since February 2014, played ESO-TU October 2015 - August 2022, currently on an extended break
    vMA (The Flawless Conqueror) | vVH (Spirit Slayer & of the Undying Song) | vDSA | vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vMoL | vAS+1 | Emperor

PC-EU CP 3000+
    41,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Pact Veteran Trade: Exemplary
    Traders of the Covenant: God of Sales
    Tamriels Emporium: God of Sales
    Valinor Overflow: Trader
    The Traveling Merchant: Silver

Characters:
    Asardes | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 50 | Master Crafter: all traits & recipes, all styles released before High Isle
    Alxaril Nelcarion | 50 High Elf Sorcerer | AD AR 20 |
    Dro'Bear Three-paws | 50 Khajiit Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Veronique Nicole | 50 Breton Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Sabina Flavia Cosades | 50 Imperial Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Ervesa Neloren | 50 Dark Elf Dragonknight | EP AR 20 |
    Fendar Khodwin | 50 Redguard Sorcerer | DC AR 20 |
    Surilanwe of Lillandril | 50 High Elf Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Joleen the Swift | 50 Redguard Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Draynor Telvanni | 50 Dark Elf Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Claudius Tharn | 50 Necromancer | DC AR 20 |
    Nazura-la the Bonedancer | 50 Necromancer | AD AR 20 |

Tharkul gro-Shug | 50 Orc Dragonknight | DC AR 4 |
    Ushruka gra-Lhurgash | 50 Orc Sorcerer | AD AR 4 |
    Cienwen ferch Llywelyn | 50 Breton Nightblade | DC AR 4 |
    Plays-with-Sunray | 50 Argonian Templar | EP AR 4 |
    Milariel | 50 Wood Elf Warden | AD AR 4 |
    Scheei-Jul | 50 Necromancer | EP AR 4 |

PC-NA CP 1800+
    30,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Savage Blade: Majestic Machette

Characters:
    Asardes the Exile | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 30 |
  • Acharnor
    Acharnor
    ✭✭✭✭
    Wow NO - I am so cheap.
    Celebrate for life is short but sweet for certain.
  • StarOfElyon
    StarOfElyon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, I decided to do it last night. I bought one plating. Now I just need two more so that I can gold one piece of jewelry. Ouch.

I only have one leveled character. My other two are still below level 5. I don't really have a choice but to grind for money and buy the platings. Grinding for the grains has taken months and all I got was one plate.
    Edited by StarOfElyon on June 5, 2019 4:36PM
  • tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Asardes wrote: »
    I might add I'm not short of chromium platings since I run writs on 15 maxed out characters every day. From what I've seen thus far the drop rate for Chromium Grains is ~1/3, the same as for other gold quality upgrades such as Kuta, Rosin, Tempering Alloy and Dreugh Wax. I haven't noticed any difference between my main crafter, that has Plating Expertise III, and the other 14, who haven't, so the statement above is most likely incorrect.

And for jewelry crafting & upgrade the choke point is not Chromium (gold) but Zircon (purple). I have about 2 chromium platings for every zircon one in my craft bag right now, and that could be explained by the fact that writs don't drop the latter, even as dust, most purple jewelry has a sale value higher than the value of the Zircon you can recover from it multiplied by the chance of recovering it (~60% from what I've seen, with Jewelry Extraction III) so most of what I have comes either from refining what I get from surveys or pick casually, or deconstructing dungeon dropped purple jewelry I have no use for. In comparison, I get a lot of purple upgrades for the other crafts from hirelings so I end up with 2x as much than gold ones at least. IMO they should either adjust the writs so that they sometimes/always drop Zircon or even Iridium dust instead of the now overly common Zinc/Cobalt/Antimony at maximum tier, or add hirelings just like for the other professions.

When I was tracking all the drops... Chromium seemed to drop about 20% of the time... whereas the others dropped about 30% of the time from doing writs. The drop rates from refining seemed to be identical (0.5%, so 1 per stack on average)

I completely agree on the jewelry hireling, it's one of the main reasons for the "zircon crunch". The other is my next suggestion...

Another option they could do is to change the cost to be the same as the other crafts (what it was at JC launch), but double the drop rates of all the grains. This would help alleviate the zircon crunch, since it'd take only 4 to upgrade instead of 3 (but with double the drop rate, they'd be okay). There'd be no net change for Terne and Chromium, but Zircon and Iridium would be lowered.

This would also significantly reduce the cost of the furnishing plans that require platings, since those can remain at their current values
  • disintegr8
    disintegr8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    They will not change anything while the Golden Vendor is going to continue selling gold jewelry.

I'd guess that I've refined over 30000 raw mats and still have only got 22 gold platings to show for it - and I've never improved any jewelry to gold.
    Australian on PS4 NA server.
    Everyone's entitled to an opinion.
  • tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    disintegr8 wrote: »
    They will not change anything while the Golden Vendor is going to continue selling gold jewelry.

I'd guess that I've refined over 30000 raw mats and still have only got 22 gold platings to show for it - and I've never improved any jewelry to gold.

I certainly agree on the Golden. They might get to the point that they are cheaper than the 250k versions at the Golden, but if they go too much below, people will just start to buy the platings instead, and they'll become more rare, and price will go back up. I'd expect the golden is helping set the prices on the platings themselves, so that they'll probably end up around 70k a piece (on PC/NA and PC/EU, where the add-ons helps us get higher quantities, through writs/surveys, etc..., I'm sorry console :disappointed: )