Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Gold selling guilds

Censorious
Censorious
✭✭✭✭
I've started getting guild invites that are nothing more than gold selling spam.

There's no in-game report mechanism I can use here. There isn't a category in 'support' for this sort of thing - only technical issues.
Any suggestions?
'Clever' sigs get old real fast - just like this one.
  • Sarenia
    Sarenia
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There's no in-game report mechanism I can use here.
    Right click a name and click report.
    or
    /report
    or
    You can also open the Report window in the menus.
    [beta_group_85b_9]
  • Censorious
    Censorious
    ✭✭✭✭
    There's nothing to click - it's not in chat, just an onscreen message @xxxx invites you to join a guild - blah blah blah'.
    -
    There's apparently no way to report a player unless you can select him somehow in chat or clicking his avatar.

I couldn't find any report function in the menus. There may be a slash command but I haven't seen any documentation on those, I just know a few. /report isn't one of them.
    Edited by Censorious on April 12, 2014 12:18PM
  • KerinKor
    KerinKor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Censorious wrote: »
    There's nothing to click
    Yes there is, click the 'x' (after the check mark) at the right of the Notifications entry and you'll get a pop-up menu with three options, one is Report Spam.

Edited by KerinKor on April 12, 2014 12:19PM
  • Censorious
    Censorious
    ✭✭✭✭
    I found a way to do it by typing /help.
    It took me the same route :)
  • Sarenia
    Sarenia
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Or, like I just told you, use /report and put their name in there.
    [beta_group_85b_9]
  • Censorious
    Censorious
    ✭✭✭✭
    Tried /report (it seemed likely) - didn't work.
  • kcolasaccob14_ESO
    kcolasaccob14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Click X to the right. Like has already been mentioned. This doesn't need to be difficult or a long discussion.
  • Faolanhart
    Faolanhart
    ✭✭✭
    The gold sellers is this game are really starting to bug me, I've reported so many of them. I've been playing MMOs since WoW but I don't remember it ever being this bad.
    If it's not chat spam it's about two to five personal messages every day & now today I've started to get this.
  • Censorious
    Censorious
    ✭✭✭✭
    Click X to the right. Like has already been mentioned. This doesn't need to be difficult or a long discussion.

I started this thread because it NEEDS to be a long discussion. They are getting increasingly devious at making it difficult to report them. We need to spread the word so that everyone knows exactly what to do.

• rawne1980b16_ESO
    rawne1980b16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I thought it was someone having a joke at first until I got several of them.

Gold seller guilds ... they are organising.
  • Thesiren
    Thesiren
    ✭✭✭
    Faolanhart wrote: »
    The gold sellers is this game are really starting to bug me, I've reported so many of them. I've been playing MMOs since WoW but I don't remember it ever being this bad.
    If it's not chat spam it's about two to five personal messages every day & now today I've started to get this.

Organized crime has overrun this game, and make no mistake about it, that's what this is. And for the record, this game has as much gold spam as the F2P Korean grinders do. NCSoft being a prime offender here-- Aion and Lineage 2 have been overrun with gold farmers, botters and lag from beta on, and all NCSoft does is ignore it, even after all these years. And they were like that for years as P2P, too. It's like they get payola from the hackers just to look the other way.

Are Zenimax and Bethesda just total online noobs then? I realize they've never done an MMO before, but somebody who works for them has actually logged onto one before, right?

• Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I started this thread because it NEEDS to be a long discussion. They are getting increasingly devious at making it difficult to report them. We need to spread the word so that everyone knows exactly what to do.

I have not encountered a method for another player to communicate with me that does not have a "Report" option associated with it.

Guild invites end up in the (N)otification window. Press "N" or click on the glowing icon above the chat window to open. In the notification for each guild invite there is a check mark and an "X" to the right. Right click on the "X" to bring up a short popup menu. You may decline, ignore player, or report.

All forms of chat, including Zone, Guild, private, local, yelling, etc, can be reported right from the chat window by doing a right click on the name to bring up a popup. Select "Report Player" to report that player.

Email is the easiest as they have an option right on the screen to report the player that sent the email.

If someone is standing in front of you, pressing F will bring up a wheel of options that will include reporting the player. This does require some dexterity to mouse over them while they are still in range.

Please show some restraint and make sure that they are actually doing something wrong. Don't report people for annoying you when you are in a bad mood because you just got wiped by a boss. While gold selling is against the terms and conditions, a single communication about a guild is not spam and nothing in the Terms and Conditions prohibits it. Spamming actually requires repetition, and make sure that the guild is a gold sellers guild before reporting. Also, be aware that while reporting every situation that comes to your attention may make you feel you are making a difference, if you get too "enthusiastic" about reporting players in-game, that might be considered spamming and you may find yourself getting in trouble for "just trying to help".
    Thesiren wrote: »
    Are Zenimax and Bethesda just total online noobs then? I realize they've never done an MMO before, but somebody who works for them has actually logged onto one before, right?

They are quite obviously working on it and have been since Early Access. By some accounts, they are actively working on it too eagerly and taking down innocent people with the gold spammers.

It is clear they are working on two fronts. First, banning people reported by players. Second, writing software to detect and block them. This is an adaptive process that does not end until the gold sellers move on to something else.

Edited by Elsonso on April 12, 2014 3:29PM
    ESO Plus: No
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • rawne1980b16_ESO
    rawne1980b16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I realize they've never done an MMO before

Not "technically" true.

While the company may never have made an MMO before some of the people working it for it certainly have.

They have devs that worked on Dark Age of Camelot and Warhammer Age of Reckoning.
  • Censorious
    Censorious
    ✭✭✭✭
    Please show some restraint and make sure that they are actually doing something wrong. Don't report people for annoying you when you are in a bad mood because you just got wiped by a boss. While gold selling is against the terms and conditions, a single communication about a guild is not spam and nothing in the Terms and Conditions prohibits it. Spamming actually requires repetition, and make sure that the guild is a gold sellers guild before reporting.

This is true and valid comment. But lets be clear about this. I'm talking about a guild invite that specifically and unmistakably includes a gold seller's url.
    In my book, a single instance of such a communication is a breach of the ToS and since I have no option to select 'gold selling' as the reason for reporting, the nearest I can select is 'spam'.

So 'spam' it is.
  • Sarenia
    Sarenia
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Organized crime has overrun this game, and make no mistake about it, that's what this is.

Indeed.

I think a lot of people believe it's just some guys in their basement. It's not. It's a thriving black hat market, which most likely is backed by organized crime. They're pouring money into purchasing games just for a short run of in-game spam. That has to mean a massive return payout.

And as long as consumers keep fueling that market, it will just keep growing. Like DDoS attacks, businesses can only mitigate the issue without taking extreme measures, or waiting for the illegal market to dry up for their game.

These are dangerous times in technology. Almost nothing is unhackable, exploitable, and abusable. Not the Google, not the NSA, and certainly not MMO games.

I just try to mitigate the issue as well. Report when I feel like it, ignore most of the time, disable zone/general/area chat in games. Be smart enough not to accept strange friend/guild requests without a conversation, and don't click password reset e-mails.
    [beta_group_85b_9]
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sarenia wrote: »
    They're pouring money into purchasing games just for a short run of in-game spam.

This is actually unlikely. Possible, but unlikely.
    Sarenia wrote: »
    And as long as consumers keep fueling that market, it will just keep growing.

Let's be clear here. You do not need to buy the gold from the website for them to profit. If you even go there to look, you have given them the opportunity to profit from your visit. If you actually buy from them, well, you are their new best friend.

All of this is about getting hits to the website, even look-e-loos, and the outside chance that someone will actually give them money for gold.

ESO Plus: No
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • Sarenia
    Sarenia
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is actually unlikely. Possible, but unlikely.

Each key they buy gets banned in fairly short order. That's $60 a pop.

Certainly copies could "fall off a truck" in bulk, but that still has market value, which they lose out on by not selling the copies.

It's extremely unlikely they have a "key generator".

So again, it takes money to make money.

Also more proof that no matter what anybody says on the internet, somebody else will disagree. Even if they really agree.
    Edited by Sarenia on April 12, 2014 5:22PM
    [beta_group_85b_9]
  • Paks_ESO
    Paks_ESO
    ✭✭
    A lot of the keys for these RMT businesses are bought with stolen credit card info. There was an article on this several years ago.
    PC/NA
  • Alyrn_Grey
    Alyrn_Grey
    ✭✭✭

Nah I don't think it needs a long discussion. The fact that the seem to be getting more desperate in their attempts to spam is indicative that they are being caught and stopped.
  • k9mouse
    k9mouse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Alyrn_Grey wrote: »

Nah I don't think it needs a long discussion. The fact that the seem to be getting more desperate in their attempts to spam is indicative that they are being caught and stopped.

We are slowly winning this battle, If players and ZOS keep putting pressure on them. We drive them out of ESO yet!

Always report anyone who is trying to sell gold for real money. I do not report if someone send me a normal guild invite or trying to sell ingame item for game gold., but I do report all messages that try to get people to go to the "dark side" of the net web sites or try to get people spend real money for ingame items.

• Thesiren
    Thesiren
    ✭✭✭
    Supposedly there is an add-on from Curse that eliminates gold spam. So why can't Zenimax do this? Curse is kind of a rats' nest of trojans and viruses. We shouldn't have to go there and get a download from heaven-knows-who to do something this basic to MMOs.

Zenimax should just hire this Curse guy if he really did make a gold-spam-proof addon. Then they can just incorporate his work into the game, as they don't seem to be able to do it themselves. And manually banning gold farmers as they roll accounts is ridiculous. That's just all the more stolen credit cards used for new accounts.

They need the gold spam filter. If the farmers aren't seen, they'll drop off, at least some of them anyway. And they won't be bothering us any at that point, although the hackers appear to be forming guilds and spamming invites to get around the chat /ignores as it is. That will need fixing too obviously.

And anybody buying gold online should be banned pronto as well-- it's where this whole problem stems from.
  • k9mouse
    k9mouse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That add-on just auto ignore the gold farmer spam, but it still can be work around. ZOS is working on the problem and I do see less of them doing spam everyday.
  • Thesiren
    Thesiren
    ✭✭✭
    k9mouse wrote: »
    That add-on just auto ignore the gold farmer spam, but it still can be work around. ZOS is working on the problem and I do see less of them doing spam everyday.

Well, I was too put off by Curse's security history to go there anyway, but I have to disagree with you on the amount of gold farmers. At least when I'm on nights and weekends, they are overrunning the chat across every faction just like normal.

I do have to say that in this day and age, I'm surprised Zenimax wasn't more on the ball in curtailing this whole thing though.

• loops73
    loops73
    ✭✭
    gold sellers are one of the reasons I am going to move to console when it launches, they wont be able to do it much or at all on consoles
  • wrlifeboil
    wrlifeboil
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    loops73 wrote: »
    gold sellers are one of the reasons I am going to move to console when it launches, they wont be able to do it much or at all on consoles

I haven't really kept up with the ESO addons but I'm sure that there will be automatic guild invite block addons or automatic guild invite reject addons if there aren't any already.
  • wrlifeboil
    wrlifeboil
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    k9mouse wrote: »

Well, I was too put off by Curse's security history to go there anyway, but I have to disagree with you on the amount of gold farmers. At least when I'm on nights and weekends, they are overrunning the chat across every faction just like normal.

I do have to say that in this day and age, I'm surprised Zenimax wasn't more on the ball in curtailing this whole thing though.

Aside from their automatic addon update app, I can't think of an instance where Curse hasn't been a secure site or hasn't served up clean addons files for WoW. At least recently (8-9 years).

But for ESO, it appears that ESOui.com is currently the go-to site for ESO addons.
  • Seraseth
    Seraseth
    ✭✭✭✭
    wrlifeboil wrote: »
    But for ESO, it appears that ESOui.com is currently the go-to site for ESO addons.

That's where I got all mine.