Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Sorcerer Innate Healing pre-Surge

Crescent
Crescent
✭✭✭✭
One of my less pleasant experiences with this class is that unless I use a restoration staff, I have no way to recover until the very late game where I have enough crit and surge.

I'm a 2H battlemage with destruction staff for AoE, because neither the sorcerer class lines or the 2 hander line provide appropriate AoE. 2H's Cleave skill is terrible, and Lightning Splash is terrible in solo play with nobody to use the synergy.

My survival without surge amounts to hoping I can kill something while my Storm Armor lasts. I can use a potion, but that's it. I only really use crystal shards when it procs, since you can't use it too sucessfully in melee range.

And this issue becomes even more apparent with Veteran mobs. Unless you have a storm astronarch, being a battlemage without a dual wield crit surge heal build really sucks in survivability.

How about making the Dark Magic passive heal 3% of the sorcerer's health with ALL spells, and not just the dark magic line? How about building in innate health regen to bound armor?
  • Teloran
    Teloran
    ✭✭✭
    This will be fixed completely when you get Critical Surge and Inner Light. You can get about 40% of your DPS as healing witj a bit of extra gear.

At this point any more healing will be very OP.

Otherwise you have healing through Blood Craze, pots and Dark Magic.
  • Crescent
    Crescent
    ✭✭✭✭
    Teloran wrote: »
    This will be fixed completely when you get Critical Surge and Inner Light. You can get about 40% of your DPS as healing witj a bit of extra gear.

I don't think you read my post. I said Battlemage with 2 hander. Inner Light would do very little to make up a large part of my healing considering my casting is mostly storm armor and crystal shards when it procs every other while. Most of the damage is in melee attacks and 2h skills, with the AoE being staff and having nothing to do with dark magic.

My 2h set is basically crystal shards (for opener or between procs), critical charge, wrecking blow, Endless fury (for execute+magicka recovery), and storm armor.

My staff has Destructive Clench, Wall of Elements, Lightning Splash, bolt escape, and surge.

Basically, battlemages have to retreat to playing like a traditional caster in order to have self sustain. Self sustain as melee unless you go dual wield leather crit based build is nonexistent.
  • ksaggies04ub17_ESO2
    Daedric mines might help you out quite a bit. Since you're in melee, you'll have an easy time getting mobs to trigger them. Also, from my testing, it appears each mine procs Blood Craze or whatever the passive healing is. The root is more of a bonus.

There's a morph to make the mines arm instantly, and another morph to increase the mines to 5. With the passive and the latter morph, that's an easy 25% of your max health returned.

Also - I find the skill super fun as long as you're getting mobs to run over them. It's like a B52 just carpet bombed the crap out of them.
    Edited by ksaggies04ub17_ESO2 on April 10, 2014 11:53PM
  • Teloran
    Teloran
    ✭✭✭
    Crescent wrote: »
    Teloran wrote: »

I don't think you read my post. I said Battlemage with 2 hander. Inner Light would do very little to make up a large part of my healing considering my casting is mostly storm armor and crystal shards when it procs every other while. Most of the damage is in melee attacks and 2h skills, with the AoE being staff and having nothing to do with dark magic.

My 2h set is basically crystal shards (for opener or between procs), critical charge, wrecking blow, Endless fury (for execute+magicka recovery), and storm armor.

My staff has Destructive Clench, Wall of Elements, Lightning Splash, bolt escape, and surge.

Basically, battlemages have to retreat to playing like a traditional caster in order to have self sustain. Self sustain as melee unless you go dual wield leather crit based build is nonexistent.

Then just stack melee crit. Grab precise weapons, the Thief Mundas stone, and throw on medium armour. Restraining Prison can also give you 8 seconds of +15% crit of both types.

I would still use Inner Light on your other bar though.

For comparison, a Nightblade heals for roughly 25% of their DPS ever 2 seconds. Thats roughly 13% per second. Exploitation or medium armour alone gives you more average healing, albeit less reliably. Its really not hard to push past 20% melee crit without exploitation.

Edit: if you don't want to use medium armour, swap out Lightning Form for Restraining Prison. Lighting Form won't give you that much benefit since you should be fairly close to the armour soft cap already with your heavy armour.
    Edited by Teloran on April 11, 2014 12:26AM
  • Crescent
    Crescent
    ✭✭✭✭
    That is better. Thanks.

I'll just have to wait for later levels though as being 30 i still have nowhere close to enough melee crit.

I guess it's just rough at the beginning as a battlemage.

Too bad this game is being made for consoles so they limited the skills to 5 slots+ultimate.
    Edited by Crescent on April 11, 2014 5:12AM
  • Raice
    Raice
    ✭✭✭
    I am in a similar situation. All I can say is Sorc doesn't have HP regen because we get a really great spammable escape ability, that absorbs spell projectiles. That extra distance just might be enough time to plop a heal in some manner - preferably something in a Potion variety - or if nothing else... it can give us time to regen on our own.

Otherwise... Restoration Staff or Undaunted has Blood Alter. I don't know how great it is, though...