Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Gamepad Mode with Xpadder

agasaagasai
agasaagasai
✭✭✭
I've been playing with keyboard/mouse on PC but want to try out using an Xbox controller. So I remapped all buttons using Xpadder and emptied all default bindings from the game's second set of keybinds under the Controls tab. However, I find out that if I turn on Gamepad mode, the game's default controller templates are still working and conflict with my Xpadder binds. (e.g. default key for ability 1 is X and even if I rebind X to cast ability 2, game still casts ability 1 when I press X. In other words, emptying out Controls didn't work.)

So is there any way to disable templates and only use Xpadder binds to play under Gamepad mode? Thanks!

PS: I know xpadder works great under PC UI but Gamepad mode is just much more controller-friendly in terms of navigating menus, etc.

Best Answer

• Davor
    Davor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Davor wrote: »
    Why are you using Xpadder? I use the Xbox Elite controller, and I don't need to use third party software at all. Also I can bind the controller to what I like

For example since I am use to Skyrim/Fallout3 and 4, I use the X button and hold to sheath my weapons and use the B button and hold to bring up the character/inventory screen.

I use the start (the button on the right of the X white circle, I forget what's it called now) and hold to auto walk.

So I am not sure why you use Xpadder, unless you want the PC interface and not the Xbox interface.

Mainly to rebind roll dodge away from A. But as you said, xpadder could be useful under PC jnterface. Now after a day or two of getting used to a controller, I'm indeed much more comfortable without xpadder.

Just remember you can still bind keys to the controller. Just go to where you bind keys for the key board and instead of choosing a key, select a button on your controller. You can also use the "hold" as well.

For me, I used "Hold X" to sheathe my weapon just like in Skyrim and Fallout games. I also binded "auto walk" when I feel lazy and don't want to continue holding the thumb stick when going long distances.

You can even do "X+A". I never did try and see if I can use right trigger and buttons and or D-pad as well. Will have to give that a go now. :)
    Edited by Davor on June 1, 2019 4:48AM
    Not my quote but I love this saying

"I would pay It for support. But since they choosed we are just numbers and not customers, i dont mind if game and zos goes to oblivion"
    Answer ✓
  • Hippie4927
    Hippie4927
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    The ability that you cast with X is dependent on what you put in the first slot on the skills bar. No re-binding necessary. For instance, I have Blockade in the first slot but if I don't want blockade to fire with X, I just move it to another slot.

As for re-binding, just hit 'escape' and click on 'controls' and do all your re-binding there. I don't see a need for xpadder unless I am misunderstanding something.
    PC/NA/EP ✌️
  • agasaagasai
    agasaagasai
    ✭✭✭
    Hippie4927 wrote: »
    The ability that you cast with X is dependent on what you put in the first slot on the skills bar. No re-binding necessary. For instance, I have Blockade in the first slot but if I don't want blockade to fire with X, I just move it to another slot.

As for re-binding, just hit 'escape' and click on 'controls' and do all your re-binding there. I don't see a need for xpadder unless I am misunderstanding something.

Thanks for the info! Xpadder just allows me to replicate keyboard/mouse movements a bit more, as I literally have never held a controller before. It might simply be a process of getting familiar with a different playstyle I guess.

The main issue I have with rebinding is the A button. I can't find any option in the list named Interact/Jump so that I can use D-pad down for that function.
  • Davor
    Davor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why are you using Xpadder? I use the Xbox Elite controller, and I don't need to use third party software at all. Also I can bind the controller to what I like

For example since I am use to Skyrim/Fallout3 and 4, I use the X button and hold to sheath my weapons and use the B button and hold to bring up the character/inventory screen.

I use the start (the button on the right of the X white circle, I forget what's it called now) and hold to auto walk.

So I am not sure why you use Xpadder, unless you want the PC interface and not the Xbox interface.

"I would pay It for support. But since they choosed we are just numbers and not customers, i dont mind if game and zos goes to oblivion"
  • agasaagasai
    agasaagasai
    ✭✭✭

Mainly to rebind roll dodge away from A. But as you said, xpadder could be useful under PC jnterface. Now after a day or two of getting used to a controller, I'm indeed much more comfortable without xpadder.
  • Davor
    Davor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just curious, what do you want to use Dodge roll for if not left trigger and A? You can set it to what ever you want I believe. I could be wrong, but I am surprised with the amount of customizing we can do with the controller.

• agasaagasai
    agasaagasai
    ✭✭✭
    Just curious, what do you want to use Dodge roll for if not left trigger and A? You can set it to what ever you want I believe. I could be wrong, but I am surprised with the amount of customizing we can do with the controller.

Double tap movement buttons just like with a keyboard :) Intuitively, I feel quickly knocking the movement stick twice to one side to be the natural combo for a roll dodge.
  • Davor
    Davor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ah I see. I guess for me, always using a controller I didn't figure that out. :)

• TechnoDreamVision
    TechnoDreamVision
    ✭✭✭
    Try the Logitech G502. It comes in wired version and wireless version. You program your favorite commands and macros to each of the 11 buttons.
  • agasaagasai
    agasaagasai
    ✭✭✭
    Try the Logitech G502. It comes in wired version and wireless version. You program your favorite commands and macros to each of the 11 buttons.

That's exactly the mouse I'm using right now xD, with a logitech gaming keyboard too, and they indeed fit the game pretty well (sometimes pressed buttons don't register with the game and skill doesn't fire though, probably a lag issue rather mouse/pc compatibility). But a controller frees up your soring shoulders and lets you lay back on a sofa! :smiley:
  • Avoranti
    Avoranti
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    (sometimes pressed buttons don't register with the game and skill doesn't fire though, probably a lag issue rather mouse/pc compatibility).

I play on console (PS4) and have been having this issue of skills not registering.
    Must be lag across all platforms.

I have a pc and have used Xpadder but not with this game yet.