The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

Sound is really quiet compared to other software?

MaGicBush
MaGicBush
✭✭✭
I noticed the sound is extremely quiet in this game for some reason compared to any other game or software on my PC. I was talking on Skype and my friends voice would be blaring and I couldn't hear the game with the audio options turned all the way up. I had to use the volume mixer to take skype down to 10% normal volume and turn my speakers all the way up to hear the game? It's pretty frustrating as if a sound from Windows plays in the background it blows my ear drum and makes me jump lol. Am I missing something here?
Edited by MaGicBush on March 31, 2014 2:13PM
  • Wargaard
    Wargaard
    ✭✭
    Same problem here. Can't seem to find anything in game settings to change sound driver or device to try a different one either.
    Any ideas?
  • Eylith
    Eylith
    ✭✭✭
    Skype and some others VOIP software down others running software sound level. You can disable this in (w$7) the config panel/sound/communication.

If this is not the problem, I have no idea. One internal sound card + 2 externals sound cards here, and it works just fine.
    Edited by Eylith on April 7, 2014 12:02PM
    "Discuter avec un troll, c’est comme essayer de jouer aux échecs avec un pigeon. Tu as beau être très fort aux échecs, il arrive, renverse les pièces, chie sur l’échiquier et s’en va avec l’air supérieur comme s’il avait gagné." - Anonyme

• Wargaard
    Wargaard
    ✭✭
    Yeah thanks Eylith I've check both windows config in control panel, my audio drivers and Mumble settings.

Thing is, if I run another game in the background the sound is fine. It's only ESO that is quiet, all other programs appear to run at normal audio levels :neutral_face:
  • uselessbass
    me also i was thinking its just me losing my hearing or something glad im not the only one
  • blofthouse2004
    i also have this problem and have tried the above solutions. The game sound was fine in beta, it seems to have been since release. Can someone please help.
  • ZOS_Bill
    ZOS_Bill
    admin
    Hey Everyone,

There are a couple Windows settings you can change that may help with the sound being too low in game.
    • Go to your control panel
    • Select hardware and sound
    • Go to the sound menu
    • Select your speakers or headphones
    • Go to properties
    • Go to the enhancements tab
    • Check the option for loudness equalization
    • Re-launch ESO

Another possible cause in the windows feature that will lower volume when using communication programs such as Skype and teamspeak.
    • Open the Control Panel
    • Go to Hardware and Sound
    • Select the Sound menu
    • Select the Audio properties page
    • Enter the Communications tab
    • select Do Nothing from the dropdown box
    • Click Apply and OK.
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have been having the same issue and have had it with other games as well.
    For ESO it's voices being horribly quiet most of the time and everything else is booming, this is even with me having voice volume 100 and the others down from 50-70. It's most noticeable at a Dark Anchor when your hear the speech before the final spawn, I have never made out what has been said over the sound of the Anchor itself.

The loudness equalization option on windows does make some of the quiet elements louder but they seemed to flux as well and combat suddenly would become quieter with the volume going back up once I returned to normal moving around.

All of this is only when using my desktop speakers as well and when switching to my headset I hear wonderfully.

Any other thoughts or ideas on things I could do to fix this would be most welcome.
    @Turelus - EU PC Megaserver
    "Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Okay so I had a friend find something which fixed it perfectly for me and works much better than the loudness equalisation.

Follow either of these two guides (they're the same thing) but worked perfectly getting my desktop speakers to output sounds at correct levels.

http://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/963875-bethesda-softworks-forums-how-to-fix-low-sound-volume/

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/615805-the-elder-scrolls-v-skyrim/60983647
    @Turelus - EU PC Megaserver
    "Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."
  • Maestro_Sartori
    Maestro_Sartori
    ✭✭✭
    Get yourself a stand alone sound card like the Soundblaster Z and all your sound troubles will be over