The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

How to calculate "Applying Patch" time

SageSecret
SageSecret
✭✭✭
Why is "Applying Patch" is taking so long? Pause is greyed out ... it has been almost two hours. According to the Launcher, I have 26,758 MB remaining at 6.77 MB/s.
I've confirmed that "Applying Patch" is not the same as downloading. I can see the Launcher is modifying the files on my computer.
I checked the Activity Monitor and killed all unnecessary programs.

How can I figure out how many hours or days this is going to take?

Thanks.
  • Mudcrabber
    Mudcrabber
    ✭✭✭✭
    26,758 at 6.77/s is about 1.1 hours.

It should go almost as fast as your hard disk can read the whole game files plus patches and write them back out with the patches applied. Like 30-50mb/s on a hard disk. It sounds like you're on a Mac though so a lot of my troubleshooting ideas go out the window.

If you have the game on an external disk, that would be an important clue. If it's exFAT formatted for example, the design of it doesn't scale well to large files. Or an older usb drive might have a slower interface.
    Options
  • SageSecret
    SageSecret
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you for answering.

Everything you said makes sense. But I've not had this much trouble before.

Really helps when ppl like you answer with some info.

Thanks!
    Options
  • Sylvermynx
    Sylvermynx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Uh.... applying patch actually took longer than download this time (new 'net provider). Still only took about 3 minutes for the patch....
    Options
  • SageSecret
    SageSecret
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks every one. Once I got past the 25% mark it only took about 10 minutes.

I'm not sure why the first part took so long but I did notice logging off of Chrome completely started the lightning-fast finish.
    Options