Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Best class for gathering and crafting?

Riskitt
Riskitt
Soul Shriven
Which is the best class for gathering and crafting?

Forums vary between saying that stamblade, stamsorc or magsorc is best. Usually they say that orc is the best race for speed.

What's your opinion?

This is important to me because I'm new to ESO and I normally prefer gathering and crafting to other activities. Therefore, my gatherer and crafter is likely to become my main!

I would be very grateful for your opinion. :smile:
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Crafting has no preference for Race. Orcs are slightly faster, but you can reach the speed cap on gear alone with any race. So,.no benefit there either. Medium Armor is easy to make faster, but any weight can do that with the right sets and traits.

As for Class, I would say that Sorcerer or Warden as they each have a Speed Boosting skill, but that is really only to race someone to a node. Since Nirn became useless, that is not really thing either.

What is important for a Crafting Harvester is to have 200 or so skill points, maybe 250, so you can be fully combat viable, and crafty. Full crafting can eat up 120 or more skill points, more with Jewelry Crafting.

Also, having enough CPs to unlock the Master Gatherer passive, and maybe any speed boosts if you have not capped your speed already.

Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• WrathOfInnos
    WrathOfInnos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Orc is definitely best for speed. You could say stam sorc since they gain 10% speed from Hurricane, that other classes would only obtain with the Jailbreaker 5-piece set. But you have to be a little careful with Hurricane since it has a large radius and will start combat with nearby enemies. Mag Sorc doesn’t have the same boost to run speed, but they gain a short range teleport that slightly increases overall movement (not as much as you might expect, it’s a little clunky).

Nightblade only gets speed bonuses if you are sneaking, which could be useful for avoiding enemies while gathering, but won’t exceed top speed of Sorcs.

For crafting, class has no impact. Race matters only because it grants you one free racial crafting style. Most of these styles or motifs are very cheap and easy to get, but Imperial is rare and expensive. So being Imperial gives a slight advantage for learning all the styles with less gold and effort.
    Edited by WrathOfInnos on May 29, 2019 9:03PM
  • ghastley
    ghastley
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Orc has the craftsman passive, but it's not a major benefit.
  • wishlist14
    wishlist14
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Orc sorcerer or orc warden preferably stamina. I farm on my warden high elf and i do alright. I like that my bear kills things, makes it easier when im farming to kills mobs quickly.

Also if you have the champion points put some in the tower I think that is the one that gives inspiration bonus and that will help level up some crafts faster.

What @WrathOfInnos said above is great advice.
  • Imza
    Imza
    ✭✭✭✭
    hubby uses an orc and a bosmer for resource hunting, so orc if you need the speed boost and then just get the sets that make the difference.

Remember - you can only boost your speed by 100% now. so you will cap it at 200%.
    Below are some of the things that help with increasing speed.

I'm pretty sure there is a speed boosting set of armor for each weight class but medium seems to have the most.

Rapid Maneuvers skill from Alliance war skill set
    Use the Steed mundus health and speed.
    Potions can give speed bonus
    There is now the swift trait on jewelry that also gives the speed bonus

Light
    Prisoners Rags: Reduces the cost of Sprint by 50%. While Sprinting, restore 1000 Magicka every 1 second.
    Medium
    Coward's gear: (5 items) While Sprinting you gain Major Expedition and Major Protection, increasing your Movement Speed and reducing your damage taken by 30%.
    Fiord's Legacy: (5 items) Reduces the cost and increases the Movement Speed bonus of Sprint by 15%.
    Darkstride: (5 items) Reduces the cost for Sprint and Sneak by 50%
    Jailbreaker: (5 items) Gain Minor Expedition at all times, increasing your Movement Speed by 10%.

Heavy: not sure what is available in heavy

EDIT: fixed an error - jailbreaker is not heavy but medium
    Edited by Imza on May 29, 2019 9:38PM
  • phwaap
    phwaap
    ✭✭✭
    I don't see how class could be that important. Passives in the The Lover and Rapid Maneuver will do. The Tower for inspiration and ESO+ for craft bag and xp.
    Edited by phwaap on May 29, 2019 10:01PM
  • Riskitt
    Riskitt
    Soul Shriven
    How about an orc stamblade who's a vampire? I've read that vampires can move using stealth very quickly.

I'm suprised that stam sorcs can move quicker than stamblades, but there you go!

Although it's tempting to make an imperial for the imperial crafting, there's so much style choice that I'm more tempted to play an orc. Orc goes better with a stamina build.
  • helediron
    helediron
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Magblade because of invisibility.

Speed on foot is capped, and everybody reaches easily the cap. No need for orc or sorc.
    On hiatus. PC,EU,AD - crafting completionist - @helediron 900+ cp, @helestor 1000+ cp, @helestar 800+ cp, @helester 700+ cp - Dragonborn Z Suomikilta, Harrods, Master Crafter. - Blog - Crafthouse: all stations, all munduses, all dummies, open to everyone
  • cjhhickman39
    cjhhickman39
    ✭✭✭✭
    I like to use night silence and night mothers embrace set combinations.
    Run in stealth at full speed and little stamina cost so you only need to fight a mob if you want to
  • rabidmyers
    rabidmyers
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    stam orc warden, use the jailbreaker set to get the missing bonus from not being a sorc

and uhh yeah the bird of prey skill that gives u 6 secs of major expedition is ur friend
    at a place nobody knows
  • Riskitt
    Riskitt
    Soul Shriven
    So far, I think magblade is winning because of the invisibility.

However, some are saying sorc or warden, so there isn't a consensus.
  • redlink1979
    redlink1979
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    No race is better than the other regarding gathering mats. lol
    "Sweet Mother, sweet Mother, send your child unto me, for the sins of the unworthy must be baptized in blood and fear"
    • Sons of the Night Mother [PS5][EU] 2165 CP
    • Daggerfall's Mightiest [PS5][NA] 1910 CP
    • SweetTrolls [PC][EU] 1950 CP
    • Bacon Rats [PC][NA] 1850 CP
  • Riskitt
    Riskitt
    Soul Shriven

True. However, I'll probably make a Breton magblade so he can be min/maxed for PvP/PvE when I'm not gathering & crafting.
  • Tatanko
    Tatanko
    ✭✭✭✭
    Riskitt wrote: »

True. However, I'll probably make a Breton magblade so he can be min/maxed for PvP/PvE when I'm not gathering & crafting.
    Your "However..." qualifier is completely irrelevant to your goal. Any class/race combination can be min/maxed for PvE, PvP, and crafting all at the same time. This game provides an insane amount of skill points, so there's no reason to make your decision about those aspects based on what you've said your goals are.

To the OP: choose whatever you want. It really, truly does not matter. It helps to utilize a character which is stamina-focused, but that should really be your only consideration. My farming loadout is Jailbreaker+Fiord's with three pieces of purple Swift-traited jewelry and all Medium weight. With the right passives unlocked, and your Champion Points invested wisely, you can run around all day at max movement speed without needing to rely on casting skills or using potions.
    Silvanus the Gilded
    Merchant, Scholar, and Benefactor
    Imperial Templar - PC/NA
    Learn More
  • Radiance
    Radiance
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So far, I think magblade is winning because of the invisibility.

There is also a morph for the first shadow skill that increases your speed by 20% while crouched, that paired with Vampire stage 4 passive that removes crouching speed reduction.
  • Riskitt
    Riskitt
    Soul Shriven
    Tatanko wrote: »

Your "However..." qualifier is completely irrelevant to your goal. Any class/race combination can be min/maxed for PvE, PvP, and crafting all at the same time. This game provides an insane amount of skill points, so there's no reason to make your decision about those aspects based on what you've said your goals are.

To the OP: choose whatever you want. It really, truly does not matter. It helps to utilize a character which is stamina-focused, but that should really be your only consideration. My farming loadout is Jailbreaker+Fiord's with three pieces of purple Swift-traited jewelry and all Medium weight. With the right passives unlocked, and your Champion Points invested wisely, you can run around all day at max movement speed without needing to rely on casting skills or using potions.

I agree with you up to a point. However, I think I'll go magblade because I suspect they've got a more extensive toolkit for going invisible.

I intend to be in the PvP area Cyrodiil quite a bit.
  • Riskitt
    Riskitt
    Soul Shriven
    Just to update the information on this thread: I've decided that the feel of the character in combat is more important than crafting considerations.