Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Mac: Disable Popup Accent Menu?

WanderLost
WanderLost
✭✭
I'm on the latest update of Mac Mojave and usually play ESO in windowed or windowed fullscreen mode. There has been an issue I've had for a while, but just haven't gotten around to fixing. Even since before Mojave, Mac has had a popup accent menu for certain characters so that when you hold a particular key (such as "a"), a little menu pops up with relevant accent options (à, á, â, etc.). Normally I love this feature, but it even pops up while I'm playing ESO, which is especially annoying for wasd movement since "a" and "s" are two of said keys.

Is there a way to disable this feature within ESO? I apologize if there is another post about this somewhere, I tried searching but didn't find anything.
  • Deeprave
    Deeprave
    ✭✭
    defaults write -g ApplePressAndHoldEnabled -bool false

AFAIK that is the only way.

• WanderLost
    WanderLost
    ✭✭
    Deeprave wrote: »
    defaults write -g ApplePressAndHoldEnabled -bool false

AFAIK that is the only way.

Ok thanks. I'm assuming that would disable it system wide?
  • Deeprave
    Deeprave
    ✭✭
    Yes, it is a system-wide setting, at least for your user.

And to make things even more inconvenient you need to relog or reboot whenever you change it before it will take effect.

Since I use a single language it is not an inconvenience to me, but I imagine that it will affect others negatively, so definitely worthy of dev feedback.
  • demerdecanswrath
    demerdecanswrath
    ✭✭✭
    They need a new .app package, one that isn't from 2013..
    Characters:
    • Arien Larethian (High Elf Templar)
    • Relus Demerdecan (Redguard Dragonknight)
    • Elisia Bonaire (Breton Nightblade)

Proudly playing and producing content on a 2018 15" MacBook Pro.