Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Lock Picking on the Mac doesn't work

rickb16_ESO9
rickb16_ESO9
Soul Shriven
Somehow Lock Picking doesn't work on my Mac. I see the pins, but pressing the left mouse button doesn't move the pins down.

I've played earlier a beta on Windows and there lock pickings worked as expected.
Is there something I can do to fix this? Or is it a known issue?
  • xhunter
    xhunter
    I had this issue in the beta. Sad to see this wasn't fixed.
  • nick.spakub17_ESO
    Having the same issue! I want treasure! Anyone figured out a solution? I'm relieved to finally realize I'm not the only one with this issue. Are you using an apple magic mouse?
  • rickb16_ESO9
    rickb16_ESO9
    Soul Shriven
    No I have a pretty normal mouse.
  • Hunterkiss
    Yup, works fine on my mac. Sorry to hear this
  • nick.spakub17_ESO
    what kind of mouse are you using?
  • Vinth
    Vinth
    Works fine for me with a trackpad (yes, I managed to play with that thing ^^)
  • rickb16_ESO9
    rickb16_ESO9
    Soul Shriven
    I have a Sharkoon Fireglider. (But also have the problem with a cheap Logitec mouse).
    Btw. I'm amazed you can play with a trackpad !
  • rickb16_ESO9
    rickb16_ESO9
    Soul Shriven
    Found a solution/workaround!!! When you play full-screen lock picking fails.
    When you switch to windowed-mode.. it suddenly works (pressing the right mouse button puts the pins down! :D )
  • Moonraker
    Moonraker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Found a solution/workaround!!! When you play full-screen lock picking fails.
    When you switch to windowed-mode.. it suddenly works (pressing the right mouse button puts the pins down! :D )
    Thanks for the update and workaround.

I personally don't have a problem using a Logitech G700s mouse in Fulscreen or Windowed. Not sure what the difference is. Guessing it is some focus issue.

It would be really helpful if people submitted bug reports via /bug in-game (in the chat window enter that command or press Help) And to provide Model of their mouse.
  • Moonraker
    Moonraker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Vinth wrote: »
    Works fine for me with a trackpad (yes, I managed to play with that thing ^^)
    Leet skilllz! :) I have the Magic Trackpad next to me to try some stuff sometime.
  • Vinth
    Vinth
    It's actually enjoyable to play with the Magic Trackpad on ESO :)
    I don't know why, but it feels more natural for me to move and interact with the environment during combat using the trackpad.

• scabrous_ftz
    scabrous_ftz
    ✭✭
    I haven't had this problem. Razer Naga mouse.
  • SilentVigil
    SilentVigil
    ✭✭
    I haven't had any issues either - microsoft mouse - but all mouse buttons besides the left and right show up only has middle button clicks - be nice if they fixed that.
  • SilentVigil
    SilentVigil
    ✭✭
    Ok now I am having issues with lock picking. When I click nothing happens. This only happened after I updated and had no issues before.. Using a microsoft two button mouse. Also I tried 3 different mice and all seem to have the same issue.

Edit: After minimizing screen and then picking the lock I can now pick locks full screen. Still something that needs to be looked into though.
    Edited by SilentVigil on April 4, 2014 2:05PM
  • Moonraker
    Moonraker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ok now I am having issues with lock picking. When I click nothing happens. This only happened after I updated and had no issues before.. Using a microsoft two button mouse. Also I tried 3 different mice and all seem to have the same issue.

Edit: After minimizing screen and then picking the lock I can now pick locks full screen. Still something that needs to be looked into though.
    Submit a bug report and I'll note it to developer to check also. They need bug reports as it's not necessarily a Mac issue and the more data the better chance to fix it.

I haven'y had this issue myself so far since launch but there are not a lot of chest around ^^
  • SilentVigil
    SilentVigil
    ✭✭
    @Moonraker Yeah I pick a lot of locks and this was the first time it happened to me. Has not had it happen since. Where is the best place to submit a bug?
    Edited by SilentVigil on April 4, 2014 6:07PM
  • seangcxqb14_ESO
    I have had absolutely no problems on my Macbook air. What mouse are you using?
  • SilentVigil
    SilentVigil
    ✭✭
    I don't think it is a mouse issue. I played beta and 5 day early access with no problem till this morning. Since the issue I had I haven't had anymore trouble. I think the target area to click gets messed up and then minimizing/maximizing corrects it.
  • Moonraker
    Moonraker
    ✭✭✭✭
    LOCK PICKING ON THE MAC DOESN'T WORK
    PICKING ON THE MAC DOESN'T WORK
    ON THE MAC DOESN'T WORK
    THE MAC DOESN'T WORK
    MAC DOESN'T WORK

Ok I removed a few unnecessary words to streamline your title
    "If you think you've seen a troll, remain calm and slowly back away. "
    Troll Slaying
    Edited by Moonraker on April 10, 2014 2:32PM
  • SilentVigil
    SilentVigil
    ✭✭
    I had issues with this today when starting a new character. I could pick locks only with minimized window but unlike the last time with this issue min/maxing the window one time did not work. After I restarted the client the issue seem to be resolved and I could pick locks with max window,

Obviously still a bug here but since it appears randomly might be hard to track down.
  • WyeVxndzz
    WyeVxndzz
    ✭✭✭
    I haven't had this problem. Razer Naga mouse.

Using Razer Naga on a Mac, had no problems picking locks until last night when this issue started for me. No changes to keybinds or mouse programming or anything, just logged in as usual, found a chest and found that I could move the pick right-left with the mouse motion but LMB and RMB didn't press the pick/key down as before.

«♥» «♥» «♥» «♥» «♥» «♥»
    When you're feeling under pressure, do something different. Roll up your sleeves, or eat an orange.
    Be on the look out for things that make you laugh. If you see nothing worth laughing at, pretend you see it, then laugh.
  • siuolly
    siuolly
    ✭✭✭
    Playing on my 2013 iMac and wife on an 2010 iMac with no problem on the lock picking.
  • sludgers
    sludgers
    On my macbook air, using my trackpad and the exiting full screen workaround did the trick for me, but I agree that full screen did not work.
  • Windshadow_ESO
    Windshadow_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    As I am hard of hearing I can not hear the audio chirp my friend told me helped him a lot I can see the wiggle and find it takes me 2trys at each tumbler as I and not fast enough to react the first try this is expensive in pick and the time required means that I have no chance at any but the Easy locks with their longer time for picking is there a skill that helps with forcing chances?
  • Davor
    Davor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    How is the locking picking game suppose to work? I am failing a lot and now I got no lock picks. So what is the easy way of locking picking?

Also I don't understand what you mean by exiting full screen. So new to this MMO stuff.
    Not my quote but I love this saying

"I would pay It for support. But since they choosed we are just numbers and not customers, i dont mind if game and zos goes to oblivion"
  • Monsoon
    Monsoon
    ✭✭✭
    If the mouse button does not work with chests for you it means the game client somehow derped and forgot to load the part where it listens to the mouse clicks with chests (only logical explanation I could pull out of the backside).

Just log out, close the client, relaunch and it will work.

If it still does not work, restart your machine
    If it still does not work, make sure you have electricity in your house
    If it still does not work, make sure you are not dreaming, kick the cat and see if punting it turns it into Angelina Jolie

If nothing works close your eyes, take a deep breath and imagine that the client is still in beta as the reason for the bug...wait, no...not imagine...realize, yeah that s better, realize that the client is still in beta and so its normal to bork on occasions.
  • Moonraker
    Moonraker
    ✭✭✭✭
    As I am hard of hearing I can not hear the audio chirp my friend told me helped him a lot I can see the wiggle and find it takes me 2trys at each tumbler as I and not fast enough to react the first try this is expensive in pick and the time required means that I have no chance at any but the Easy locks with their longer time for picking is there a skill that helps with forcing chances?
    The lock-picking skills does skill up over time with successful attempts. Not sure if this also effects the Force option.

I find a lot of lock-picks from containers especially in Inns. I have around 100 just from checking all containers as I move around.

Personally I find the higher ones a real challenge and often have to use multiple attempts to open. I presume, over time with the skill improving it will get easier and me getting more used to it.

Perhaps you could add feedback about your situation and they could add some sort of coloured visual prompt too might help?
  • Moonraker
    Moonraker
    ✭✭✭✭
    HsojVvad wrote: »
    How is the locking picking game suppose to work? I am failing a lot and now I got no lock picks. So what is the easy way of locking picking?

Also I don't understand what you mean by exiting full screen. So new to this MMO stuff.
    there are quite a few guides for ESO Lockpicking on Google including videos. Check this site which has a good guide;

TESO Lockpicking Guide

Generally Lockpicking works fine in either Fullscreen or Windowed but for some it doesn't seem to work in Fullscreen and switching to Windowed mode will make it work again. It wont change the actual mechanism of the mini-game.

Fullscreen is when the screen fills the whole display, Window is when it is in it's own 'window' on the screen.
  • scriber
    scriber
    I just had this issue now (submitted a /bug report of course) The fix suggested made it work again, but I figure it's worth noting that it's still happening. Nothing changed on my end (as others have reported) so I guess it just derps on occasion for whatever reason.
  • SamWale
    SamWale
    ✭✭
    Works fine on my Mac. Any screen mode. Razer Naga mouse.