Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

4k Mac/Display, but only 2048x1152?

fallen_phoenix
Latest MacOS here, got a machine easily capable of handling this game at high resolutions. I've got my display set to its default which is a *retina* 1920x1080 (so in reality it's actually 3840x2160 with the UI scaled upwards). However, in the Mac client for the game, even in full screen, the maximum resolution I can select is 2048x1152, which renders the game in a way that doesn't really look all that good, even with all the other graphics options maxed out (and I still get decent framerate). In other words, 3840x2160 isn't even an option, though that's the monitor's native resolution.

How can I keep my regular resolution for using my Mac normally, but get ESO into full on 4K rendering mode in full screen?
  • ningauble_7b14_ESO
    ningauble_7b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    ESO isn't "retina aware". If you right click on the actual eso executable it has "open in low resolution" checked off and greyed out so you cannot change it. It will max out at the retina "looks like" resolution which the desktop runs at. In order to get ESO to run at native resolution on a built-in mac display you need to install a program like SwitchResX which allows you to set built-in displays to run at non-scaled resolution. Also bear in mind your mouse tracking dpi may change when you change desktop resolution as well.

On most external displays MacOS allows you to set native resolution.
  • fallen_phoenix
    That's what I was worried about - but thanks for confirming it. Zenimax/Bethesda: It would be nice if you guys could add this feature for the MacOS client.
  • Deeprave
    Deeprave
    ✭✭
    You don't need an external utility to set non-native resolutions and scaling.

Open System Preferences and hold down Option key, click on displays and select scaled. You'll see all the resolutions available list there, not only the 4-5 that the default options allow.
  • Sansoul
    Sansoul
    ✭✭✭
    What?

You're stuck at 2048x1152 on a mac?

Bwhahahahahahahahahaha.

I can't even get as far as logging in but damn, that would be the next show stopper for me. I'm not dumbing down a $7k imac pro to run a game. Just like I'm not dual booting so I can play a game.

Guess I wasted my time trying to come back to this dumpster fire.
  • Vivifier
    Vivifier
    ✭✭
    Anything above 1440p lowdpi ( non retina) would be unplayable fps wise. Basically i figured out that staying in 1080p as many windows users in their games still do and the fps is pretty much the same with the same sliders.
  • Vivifier
    Vivifier
    ✭✭
    Deeprave wrote: »
    You don't need an external utility to set non-native resolutions and scaling.

Open System Preferences and hold down Option key, click on displays and select scaled. You'll see all the resolutions available list there, not only the 4-5 that the default options allow.

True. But if you want resolutions that are not supported such as 1080p in my 27" 2017 imac the only way is switchresX or easy res ( free from apple app store )
  • fallen_phoenix
    Yeah I know I can switch my resolution using alt/opt or switchresx, but my point is: I shouldn't _have_ to. I'd really like to ask the dev team to fix this. Pretty please?