Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Help understanding healing?

XyionUK
XyionUK
Hi All,

I need some help with understanding healing in this game and how it works at higher levels.

I currently have level 10 Bow & Arrow Templar and I am pouring points into healing, I have a problem when it comes to RPGs where I will constantly restart until I get a good fee for a character. I wanted to try out a sorcerer a battle mage if you will, but I have always liked healing in MMOs so can I heal end game content with Restoration staff or will that put me into some sort of "Support" role?

In end game I would like to be a healer so I will stick with my Templar if the healing can't be sustained with Restoration.

Thanks in advance,
Xyion

Best Answers

• BlackSparrow
    BlackSparrow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    XyionUK wrote: »
    So it is possible to sustain a party with pure restoration staff skills. I guess I have some thinking to do, whether to reroll a battlemage or play my Templar. Damn decisions.

It is a bit up in the air, so don't reroll yet. Templar has an instant heal that resto staff does not, which, if you've healed in MMOs before, you know is important for those fast "oh crap" situations.

Really, check out the player guides section before you reroll.

Living vicariously through my characters.

My Girls:
    "If you were trapped in your house for, say, a year, how would you pass the time?"

Nephikah the Houseless, dunmer assassin: "I suppose I could use the break. I have a lot of business holdings now that need management."
    Swum-Many-Waters, elderly argonian healer: "I think that I would enjoy writing a memoir."
    Silh'ki, khajiit warrior-chef: "Would this one be able to go outside, to the nearby river? It's hard to fish without water!"
    Peregrine Huntress, bosmer hunter: "Who is forcing me to stay inside, and where can I find them?"
    Lorenyawe, altmer mechanist: "And why would I want to go outside in the first place? Too much to be done in the workshop."
    Lorelai Magpie, breton master thief: "I'd go nuts. Lucky for me, I have a little experience sneaking out!"
    Rasheda the Burning Heart, redguard knight: "I would continue my training to keep my skills sharp."
    Hex-Eye Azabi, khajiit daedric priestess: "I suppose it would be lucky, then, that I built a shrine to Mephala in my backyard."
    Yngva Stormhammer, nord bandit (reformed...ish): "I hate being inside even when I'm not forced to be. GET. ME. OUT."
    Madam Argentia, vampire dunmer aristocrat: "I suppose it would be more of the same. I have a rather... contentious relationship with the sun."
    Mazie gra-Bolga, orc scout: "Uh... I'd have to house train my bear..."
    Felicia the Wanderer, imperial witch-for-hire: "What Lorelai said."
    Calico Jaka-dra, retired khajiit pirate: "This one would like a rest from her grand adventures. Her jewel shop runs out of stock!"
    Shimmerbeam, blind altmer psijic: "Provided that I am confined to Artaeum, I do not think I will want for things to occupy my time."
    Shauna Blackfire, redguard necromancer: "Sounds like paradise. I hate people."
    Kirniel the Undying, cursed bosmer warrior: "I would feel useless, not being able to fight."
    Echoes-from-Dragons, argonian who thinks she's a dragon: "All the better to count my hoard!"

(Signature idea shamelessly stolen from Abeille.)
    Answer ✓
  • nudel
    nudel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is completely possible. Resto Staff Nightblade and Resto Staff Sorcerer are both viable builds. I've been in successful parties with both. I haven't seen as many dedicated Dragonknight healers, though I have seen some using Resto Staff, primarily for the passives and/or off-heals.

Resto Staff doesn't have the 'oh shit' button Templar has. However, that skill can be unreliable in a party anyway due to non-targeted heals. It has its uses, but you definitely don't want to become too reliant on it or it could leave you high and dry at the worst possible moment.
    Answer ✓
  • p.hurst1b16_ESO
    p.hurst1b16_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    For a Resto Staff Sorc healer you have maj trouble early on but once you start unlocking all the Sorc maj reduction cost passives and the Staff passive you become a much more viable healer than the Templar. Position and readiness is important so make sure the team lets the tank pull bosses.

<Enigmatic Name> Is poaching new guild members again ! Apply on our webby with your CV and proof of identity and we can arrange an interview with a panel of our officers.
    Answer ✓
  • AlienPrimate
    AlienPrimate
    ✭✭
    So far, being a healer for me has been much more effective with a restoration staff and templar abilities with capped magicka/recovery. The main reason I use the staff as a healer is because of the ward. It puts most allies beyond their max health from being near death for 6 seconds giving you enough time to heal them back to full health. I also prefer this build because the timed effects on the staff abilities are very low cost and make it so you don't have to spam the high cost templar spells until you are out of magicka. Once you are level 15 you could make a secondary as bow and arrow to flip between staff and bow using your magicka and stamina.
    Edited by AlienPrimate on April 10, 2014 3:40AM
  • Vikova
    Vikova
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    XyionUK wrote: »
    Hi All,

I need some help with understanding healing in this game and how it works at higher levels.

I currently have level 10 Bow & Arrow Templar and I am pouring points into healing, I have a problem when it comes to RPGs where I will constantly restart until I get a good fee for a character. I wanted to try out a sorcerer a battle mage if you will, but I have always liked healing in MMOs so can I heal end game content with Restoration staff or will that put me into some sort of "Support" role?

In end game I would like to be a healer so I will stick with my Templar if the healing can't be sustained with Restoration.

Thanks in advance,
    Xyion

Both will work, but also avoid rerolling too quickly. Some people only get a couple levels then reroll instantly. That's not really getting a feel for a class.
  • XyionUK
    XyionUK
    So it is possible to sustain a party with pure restoration staff skills. I guess I have some thinking to do, whether to reroll a battlemage or play my Templar. Damn decisions.
  • XyionUK
    XyionUK
    Alright thanks for that answer, now I just need to work on choosing a class that I wanna play. That is part I am struggling with.