The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Riverhold Dragon Bugged Respawn

reidbaker
reidbaker
At the end of the Battle for Riverhold, you need to shoot the dragon with the weapon, knocking out 99% and then kill off the remaining 1%. Contrary to videos I watched, my encounter he was a rampaging monster who 2-shotted me. An extremely sharp difficulty spike at the end of an instance.

If you die in that 1% and respawn with a soul gem, he'll regenerate 100% health in the arena. No ballista available. You have to manually reset the entire instance and retry. Meanwhile, if you're not sure what's going on, you can easily burn through soul gems.

• DiNanna63
    DiNanna63
    ✭✭✭
    I've done that quest twice and he won't die. His health bar shows nothing and he respawns to full health quickly. I've used soul gems when I die and his health doesn't go back to 100% for me. It's only when I get his health bar totally empty, then it goes back to 100% health. I've put in two support tickets. I'm not happy to have to do this part of the quest a third time.
  • DiNanna63
    DiNanna63
    ✭✭✭
    I re-did that part of the quest earlier since I had an offer to help kill the dragon. I grouped with a guild mate (who this morning killed it himself)and within seconds the dragon was dead. I still think it's a bug because I didn't do anything different the first two times. Then this afternoon, another guild member posted in chat he couldn't kill the dragon. I grouped with him and we killed that dragon fast. Definite bug of some kind.
  • clwinters
    clwinters
    Having same problem, I get the dragon down to zero but it won't die. Then it kills me and I have to start over again? Am I missing something?
  • Ashryn
    Ashryn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Same thing here;

Get dragon down to a sliver of health and he won't die no matter what you do. I cannot tell you how many times I got him down to just a tiny bit of health AND NOTHING YOU DO WILL KILL HIM! Wasted tons of soul gems :( Reported it as a bug, its very frustrating, and I cannot believe that this wasn't picked up on the PTS server...its major! I would re-start quest if I was sure it would help, but I've heard many talking about doing it several times without relief of this malfunction.
  • Syb_ill
    Syb_ill
    After several attempts the only thing that worked for me as well was grouping with another player, otherwise he was unkillable.
  • Degafohi
    Degafohi
    Ashryn wrote: »
    Same thing here;

Get dragon down to a sliver of health and he won't die no matter what you do. I cannot tell you how many times I got him down to just a tiny bit of health AND NOTHING YOU DO WILL KILL HIM! Wasted tons of soul gems :( Reported it as a bug, its very frustrating, and I cannot believe that this wasn't picked up on the PTS server...its major! I would re-start quest if I was sure it would help, but I've heard many talking about doing it several times without relief of this malfunction.

Very same problem here. Numerous repeat efforts to "make it work" lol. Actually witnessed him on 0 health and he still would not die.
  • ZOS_GinaBruno
    ZOS_GinaBruno
    Community Manager
    Hi all, there are actually two separate issues here. We have a fix going into next week's incremental patch which will address a UI desync with the health bar - this is making it look like he has zero health, but actually still has a bit of HP left. The other issue is it looks like he is healing to full health when he's actually just setting a new max HP that is not in the millions; we're looking at ways to better communicate this visually.
    Edited by ZOS_GinaBruno on May 24, 2019 3:52PM
    Gina Bruno
    Senior Community Manager
    Dev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter | My Twitter
    Staff Post
  • Enodoc
    Enodoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi all, there are actually two separate issues here. We have a fix going into next week's incremental patch which will address a UI desync with the health bar - this is making it look like he has zero health, but actually still has a bit of HP left. The other issue is it looks like he is healing to full health when he's actually just setting a new max HP that is not in the millions; we're looking at ways to better communicate this visually.
    If I remember rightly, I believe the setting of a new max HP value is when the proper fight starts after the ballista? Since any damage on him before that is basically irrelevant, you could use the Invulnerable health bar initially 180px-ON-misc-Status_Invulnerable.png before transitioning to the normal one. Or alternatively, use the Damaged health bar 180px-ON-misc-Status_Att_Decreased.png after the new max HP is set.
    UESP: The Unofficial Elder Scrolls Pages - A collaborative source for all knowledge on the Elder Scrolls series since 1995
    Join us on Discord - discord.gg/uesp
  • Imryll
    Imryll
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll be interested to see the fix, but it's not like I stopped fighting after his health went to zero, so I'm doubtful that it's just a visual issue--unless he has a lot of health that isn't being shown.
  • TheMortal
    TheMortal
    When he was up top on the house, his HP showed in the millions, but then on the ground only showed like... 400k HP.

So we all have to wait for a HOPEFUL fix the this Dragon Bug and hope and pray that we can finish the main story of the game.

Ok, guess I am waiting then. :smile:
    Cheers,

- TheMortal -
  • DiNanna63
    DiNanna63
    ✭✭✭
    Imryll wrote: »
    I'll be interested to see the fix, but it's not like I stopped fighting after his health went to zero, so I'm doubtful that it's just a visual issue--unless he has a lot of health that isn't being shown.

I agree. The two times I tried to kill him by myself with the health bar blank, I spent 15 - 20 minutes fighting him/dying/resurrecting/fighting. It's only when a guild member (healer) came to help and he was dead in about 15 seconds. I did nothing different than I did the first two times.
  • TheMortal
    TheMortal
    Same here, but I did it 5 times getting his health bar to ZERO. A lot of players do have or belong to a guild and asking players in this game, well most all are vicious and are NOT willing to help others.

Would be really nice to find a friendly guild where others guild members will help you out when needed.

This all should have been fully tested in PTS. Apparently they did NOT do a very good job. Anyways will have to wait till next month to hope and pray for a FIX that actually works.
    Cheers,

- TheMortal -
  • 7788b14_ESO
    7788b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    TheMortal wrote: »
    Same here, but I did it 5 times getting his health bar to ZERO. A lot of players do have or belong to a guild and asking players in this game, well most all are vicious and are NOT willing to help others.

Would be really nice to find a friendly guild where others guild members will help you out when needed.

This all should have been fully tested in PTS. Apparently they did NOT do a very good job. Anyways will have to wait till next month to hope and pray for a FIX that actually works.

This just happened to me today. I did a search to see if it was a bug and the first posts that came up were from PTS with several players saying it was a problem.

I hope they get this fixed, soon. Why would two or more players be able to kill it but not solo?
  • 7788b14_ESO
    7788b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    One other thing. There are around seven NPCs that are supposed to be helping, the range ones shoot off arrows from time to time which do no damage and the melee npcs just stand there at the ready. Even Abnur Tharn is there and he just stands there and tells me to kill the dragon. This part of the story really needs to be redone. Who designed this?
  • Carl-lan
    Carl-lan
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yeah I expected a huge crazy battle with heaps of people. But there’s like half a dozen dudes just standing there. Meh.
  • 7788b14_ESO
    7788b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    OK, here's an update. I managed to kill it solo. Hint: you can crouch behind the low walls that surround him and take little to no damage and he can't teleport you as long as you stay low. You can whittle him down slowly from 400K to zero using range skills, then he did die. Just jump out, shoot him a few time or use your special, duck back behind the wall, heal up, rinse and repeat.

Also if you die just use the port to shrine option, it won't take you out of the instance just back to the inside entrance point.
  • Coggage
    Coggage
    ✭✭✭✭
    OK, here's an update. I managed to kill it solo. Hint: you can crouch behind the low walls that surround him and take little to no damage and he can't teleport you as long as you stay low. You can whittle him down slowly from 400K to zero using range skills, then he did die. Just jump out, shoot him a few time or use your special, duck back behind the wall, heal up, rinse and repeat.

Also if you die just use the port to shrine option, it won't take you out of the instance just back to the inside entrance point.

Thanks, I'll try that. :) I went back as a lvl 29 Necromancer, having tried MANY times to get this bloody dragon to actually die when I was at lower levels, and... he just doesn't die, as usual. It says he has zero hp but actually when I looked closer he has 992 hp that simply Just. Will. Not. Deplete.

As you say, the NPC's who are there to "help" are utterly useless.
    Edited by Coggage on May 27, 2019 7:05PM
  • TheMortal
    TheMortal

I went back and tried it the way you mentioned and did not work. Bahlokdaan chanted some words and pulled me in towards him. Pulled me right threw the wall where I was behind it crouched down. Did it on my level 18 Necromancer.

We will all just have to wait till next month for Zenimax Dev Team to hopefully have a FIX that works. We'll wait and see what happens. The Elsweyr Chapter goes live on 4th June, 2019, so I would think that Zenimax would want that FIX out before then. :smile:
    Cheers,

- TheMortal -
  • Coggage
    Coggage
    ✭✭✭✭
    Aw damn, I was just about to try this out after the Maintenance was done. I can't understand how some players can complete this and yet for others the damn dragon just won't drop those last few hundred HP.
  • Ashryn
    Ashryn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Update worked for me...was able to complete this quest.