Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Ancient Sites Explorer Costume Review, with dye testing.

NotaDaedraWorshipper
NotaDaedraWorshipper
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭✭
Despite having a too high price for my liking, the costume seems to be close to the Tavern Maid costume dye-wise. Meaning it dyes quite well, though there are some differences:
* Red dyes seem to work a tiny bit better, but not as good as they do on other costumes I have.
* Glossy dyes will have a reduced shine to them (I approve!). Though they will still make the fabric somewhat glossy.

Other than that. The costume looks to be well done with nice details and no weird body morphs or visual glitches of what I could see. Though I haven't checked across many characters yet.

As for how it dyes, here are the pictures we like! I tried vary both colours and matte/glossy dyes.

1- Default. 2- Birch White. 3- Woodsman Green. 4- Bugloss Blue.
j5R762u.jpg

1- Silvernar Green. 2- Woodworker Yellow. 3- Red Diiamond Red. 4- Pillager Purple
KDRluZl.jpg

1- Divine Gold. 2- Viridian Venom. 3- Antique Silver. 4- Rank 10 Materials.
VoLJAmx.jpg

1- Coldharbour Ash Black. 2- Welkynd Blue. 3- Syffim Red. 4- A mix to show where the dyes go.
K1tYm6I.jpg

I'd say it dyes almost true to colour. With some slight shade differences on some dyes.

Edit: Adding a picture of the costume on a couple of different characters. Sadly I don't have a slim male character right now.
The costume is fitted at the chest, but the vest is thick so it adds a little bulk. The trousers are slightly loose.
yn2Fkxb.jpg
Edited by NotaDaedraWorshipper on May 23, 2019 8:07PM
[Lie] Of course! I don't even worship Daedra!
  • Ruinhorn
    Ruinhorn
    ✭✭✭✭
    DLC cost costumes, finally.
  • Royaji
    Royaji
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not sure if it matters how well it dies if it looks so damn ugly :(

It's like a much worse version of Treasure Hunter without the backpack
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interesting, seems reasonable on dying. Thanks for the research.

Also for some reason this really reminds me of Calo Nord from KotOR.
    453604-calonord.png
    @Turelus - EU PC Megaserver
    "Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."
  • IzzyStardust
    IzzyStardust
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why do they always have to have this crotch rag?

I really dislike it.
  • theskymoves
    theskymoves
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thank you for the detailed dye testing! It's very helpful and much appreciated.
  • NotaDaedraWorshipper
    NotaDaedraWorshipper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ruinhorn wrote: »

It's absolutely bonkers :|. Pondering to refund it because of the cost, but I also haven't bought anything in some time so got crowns to spare.
    Royaji wrote: »

I think it looks rather nice, but that's me. Tastes are like butts. They are split. ;)
    Turelus wrote: »
    It kinda does, doesn't it. Maybe that's why I like it. I look ready to explore Tatooine
    Edited by NotaDaedraWorshipper on May 23, 2019 3:22PM
  • heaven13
    heaven13
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I kinda like it but not for 1600 crowns.
    PC/NA
    Mountain God | Leave No Bone Unbroken | Apex Predator | Pure Lunacy | Depths Defier | No Rest for the Wicked | In Defiance of Death
    Defanged the Devourer | Nature's Wrath | Relentless Raider | True Genius | Bane of Thorns | Subterranean Smasher | Ardent Bibliophile

vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vDSA | vMoL HM | vHoF HM | vAS+2 | vCR+2 | vBRP | vSS HM | vKA | vRG
    Meet my characters :
    IT DOESN'T MATTER BECAUSE THEY'RE ALL THE SAME NOW, THANKS ZOS
  • kennethkatal
    kennethkatal
    ✭✭✭
    I just got it to go with the new personality but I'm kind of regretting it. it just makes the hip area look so square. But idk maybe it will grow on me.
  • Jayne_Doe
    Jayne_Doe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

While I agree the price is a bit high (I was hoping/assuming 1k), it's certainly not the most expensive costume they've offered. Hero costumes were 2k each, as was Naryu's costume and the Shrike costume. The Falkreath Thane outfit was 1500 crowns and it wasn't even limited time.

But, comparing the cost of fluff items to DLC costs is problematic, since the fluff items are designed to generate revenue and keep the costs of the actual playable content down.

But again, 1600 seems steep to me, but I've certainly paid more (for the above-mentioned costumes). I'll have to see how it looks on all my characters before I decide one way or the other.
  • Grandesdar
    Grandesdar
    ✭✭✭
    You know what's not fair? I exclusively play male chars, and after like 4 new female gowns and dresses, all of which reasonably priced, finally a costume for guys arrives for whopping 1600 crowns.
    Main: The Charismatic StamDK DD
    Side: A Handsome Warden Healer
    Side: (upcoming) Stam Necro DD
    CP: 680
    EU PSN: Style3513
  • TheCabbageborn
    TheCabbageborn
    ✭✭✭
    The dye info is much appreciated! However, for a 1600 Crowns, I feel like they've really missed the mark on this one. It'll probably be one of those prestige Costumes you'll see somebody wear once in a great while, but it doesn't really look prestigious. It kind of reminds me of a worse, barrel-chested version of the Covenant Scout Costume.
    when a problem comes along u must fus it
  • Sporvan
    Sporvan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Something about this costume is too barrel chested
  • NotaDaedraWorshipper
    NotaDaedraWorshipper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The barrel-chested-ness might have something to do with the character I used is quite barrel-chested.
    Been taking some extra pictures on other characters which I have now edited to the original post.
    Grandesdar wrote: »
    You know what's not fair? I exclusively play male chars, and after like 4 new female gowns and dresses, all of which reasonably priced, finally a costume for guys arrives for whopping 1600 crowns.

@Grandesdar I feel your pain. I got almost as many male characters as female yet the number of female costumes overwhelms the ones for my male ones. Which was why I bought this one. I wanted it as soon as I saw it in a datamining, since I have so few and it was also "adventurer themed" and not some dinner suit. There has been more expensive and just as expensive costumes so it's not a first. But it is still a bit annoying that the next costume in quite some time that is not some dress is priced so high.
    Edited by NotaDaedraWorshipper on May 23, 2019 8:29PM
  • JadeCoin
    JadeCoin
    ✭✭✭✭

I think it looks rather nice, but that's me. Tastes are like butts. They are split. ;)

I like this costume, too! I can understand why people might dislike it for being frumpy, but I love the fact that it's something different from all the formal and town wear.

A lot of the "cute" costumes seem designed for either a nightclub or a ball. They're not frumpy, definitely, but how are you wearing that in a dungeon? This costume, on the other hand, looks like something an explorer might actually go adventuring in. I mean, actually get dirty...

giphy.gif
  • TiaFrye
    TiaFrye
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Neck looks rather off without hat-scarf, and also shoulders are a little strange at places... Shorter than they should or rather arms are too thin. Chest is deffinetly way bigger than with normal armor and also waist is wider. It looks descent on my character, but my friend who has miniature dunmer male was not that fortunate. Me - with the right angle it's okay.
    tnC7YnqBxWA.jpg
    irdHcMOsN-I.jpg

I'ts also absolutely no-go with brassy assassin personality due to arms problem once again.
    Edited by TiaFrye on May 23, 2019 9:54PM
  • Dojohoda
    Dojohoda
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I like it except for the dish rag hanging off the belt.
    Fan of playing magblade since 2015. (PC NA)
    Might be joking in comments.
    -->(((Cyrodiil)))<--
  • deadsheepb14_ESO
    deadsheepb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    I'm trying to figure what happened to the other thread? o.O I thought it was pretty civil when I left, but it's gone now. >.> Oh well, I still think it looks cool even with dishrags. ;)
  • Michae
    Michae
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I'm usually stingy when it comes to crown store items that cost above 1000 crowns but I got this one since it fits my characters so well. I'm not a big fan of dresses, gowns, robes and shining armours too so the more of those adventuring type costumes and outfits the better. This will fit really well with the free camel we all get today in my upcoming exploration of Alik'r (I'm finally doing Cadwell's Silver).
    "I bear the cruel weight of certainty. Total, absolute, relentless certainty. People rarely comprehend the luxury of doubt... the freedom that comes with indecision. I envy you."
    Sotha Sil

@Michae PC/EU
  • desndb
    desndb
    ✭✭✭
    I did not buy this outfit, as it doesn't fit any of my characters "styles", but I convinced my hubby to after I mentioned he could make it look a bit like a gunslinger outfit.

While it is definitely the ESO version of a gunslinger, it came out quite nice! Sorry I haven't taken any pics to share though, maybe tomorrow.
  • bluebird
    bluebird
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Interesting, seems reasonable on dying. Thanks for the research.

453604-calonord.png
    Oh my god, thank you!!! I thought about why I was instantly turned off of this costume; could it be the colour, could it be the Tatooine dune scavenger type smuggler look, and I just couldn't figure out why it struck me so instinctively non-Elder-Scrolls. And yes, of course, it was the Calo Nord vibe :lol: Thanks for clearing up that mystery for me, you have a great eye, and now I can rest easy knowing why I was so disturbed by it, lol!

And yeah, this costume seems somehow out of place in a TES game... would suit a SW smuggler or Imperial agent far more (also reminds me of these a little... and the colours and the textured leather harness definitely don't help)
    Dust-Viper-Female-Front.jpg
    Artifact-Seeker-Female-Front.jpg
  • mague
    mague
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like it. I kept the leather and used some dark green. I dropped the hood and use Abah's Watch Turban with Mask in the same green.
  • Starlock
    Starlock
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you for posting this! It is very useful, and has helped me decide whether or not I want to get this costume!

Hint Hint Zenimax - maybe provide some previews like this directly in the Crown Store so players can see how something dyes?
    Edited by Starlock on May 24, 2019 2:40PM
  • NotaDaedraWorshipper
    NotaDaedraWorshipper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    With a hood it looks quite nice as cold weather outfit. All it's missing is a nice tail sock.
    NnDYDku.jpg
  • StormChaser3000
    StormChaser3000
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's ok. Not worth 1600 crowns tho.
    Treasure Hunter personality on the other hand is cool. That torch is not just cosmetic - it emanates light and can be useful in dark places if you play in a bright room during the ingame night.
  • Jayne_Doe
    Jayne_Doe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I previewed this on several of my characters. It seemed to look ok on my female Dunmer, but it looked awful on all of my male characters. It cut off the top of the shoulder (the one not covered by a shoulder pad) and thinned out the arms. It then gave them a huge barrel chest. It looked better on the one with the slimmer waist, but I tried to make my new necro with a thinner torso and wider waist because I got tired of all the male costumes that made my other male character look like a triangle.

I think it looks good in some of the dyed versions I've seen posted here, but it just doesn't look good on most of my characters. I think I'm going to pass on this, which is the first costume I've done that with.
  • max_only
    max_only
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks good on my stamsorc that I created to be a Breton “teen prodigy” type of character. He’s very much a lanky rectangle in the first place so this fits. Thanks for the preview. Ever since the Summerset noble costumes with the undyeable white dishrags on the hips I’m just relieved they let us dye this crotch flap. Lowered expectations I guess.

Still have left over crowns from before Racial Update 22 so I guess I might as well.

7btqzvW.jpg
    if you turn your character to the side, you see that Y shape buckle on the back? it has a gap between the buckle straps and the vest and that kind of detail is NOT easy to do.
    ftt0dpS.jpg
    This costume actual shows a lot of advanced techniques in it. it's easy to paint on the body, pieces that come off the body are next level, pieces that come off the body and then reattach and move with the character is the next level above that. Also asymmetric designs take up more resources than a perfectly symmetrical design.

this is how he usually looks so even a 0 waist character gets the baggy shirt with that costume.
    HhObcPp.jpg
    Edited by max_only on May 25, 2019 7:30PM
    #FiteForYourRite Bosmer = Stealth
    #OppositeResourceSiphoningAttacks
    || CP 1000+ || PC/NA || GUILDS: LWH; IA; CH; XA
    ""All gods' creatures (you lot) are equal when covered in A1 sauce"" -- Old Bosmeri Wisdom
  • Sheezabeast
    Sheezabeast
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It looks so barrel chested and bulky on my gal, I just couldn't buy it...at 1600 crowns it needs more detail and proper fitting for big busty ladies. Sheesh you think they would have gotten it right...those Alinor dresses looked good, why drop the ball on this, and at this price?
    Grand Master Crafter, Beta baby who grew with the game. PC/NA. @Sheezabeast if you have crafting needs!
  • IzzyStardust
    IzzyStardust
    ✭✭✭✭✭

It's absolutely bonkers :|. Pondering to refund it because of the cost, but I also haven't bought anything in some time so got crowns to spare.

It kinda does, doesn't it. Maybe that's why I like it. I look ready to explore Tatooine

Tastes are like butts 😂😂❤️❤️😂😂