The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Skyshard unlocks

MassiveFumes
MassiveFumes
✭✭
Does anyone know when this is dropping in store?
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have not heard an exact and just assume when the update goes live.
  • MassiveFumes
    MassiveFumes
    ✭✭
    It should be in may though right? Patch isn't until June on console
  • CMDR_Un1k0rn
    CMDR_Un1k0rn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    May 20th for PC and June 4th for Xbox/PS4.
    In-game username: Un1korn | Happy member of the PCNA UESP guild (Resident Daggerfall Covenant enjoyer) | Main & basically only character: Crucian Vulpin, Imperial Dragonknight of the Daggerfall Covenant, and Undaunted Bulwark (I tank) | If you know me from PCEU: No
  • Wildberryjack
    Wildberryjack
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm still wondering the cost. If it's 1k or more per zone then forget it, I'll still run around and just gather them as usual.
    The purpose of art is washing the dust of daily life off our souls. ~Pablo Picasso
  • Living_Ded
    Living_Ded
    ✭✭✭
    Wish I could just buy it ingame with gold :|
    @LivingDed
    necro healer, warden healer, templar healer, stam/magblade
  • Jayne_Doe
    Jayne_Doe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I'm still wondering the cost. If it's 1k or more per zone then forget it, I'll still run around and just gather them as usual.

And I'm sure that's the point. Players asked for account-wide skyshards, and ZOS saw an opportunity to monetize it. It's a convenience, and it'll be priced as such. After all, you can, as you say, just run around and gather them as usual.

That said, if the price is too high, then many players will probably do just that. Just as many players made do with the one free outfit slot per character.
  • eyeseezombiesub17_ESO
    They're seriously selling skyshards? Just when I get my hopes up for this game they delve further into mediocrity. Everytime.
  • Wildberryjack
    Wildberryjack
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They're seriously selling skyshards? Just when I get my hopes up for this game they delve further into mediocrity. Everytime.

They are but you have to have the zone achieve for gathering them on another character to buy them. It's just for helping level alts, but that said I don't think they should do this. It's headed down the slippery slope of P2W.
    The purpose of art is washing the dust of daily life off our souls. ~Pablo Picasso
  • Sailor_Palutena
    Sailor_Palutena
    ✭✭✭✭
    Remember that lootbox is being threatned by the US Senate. If they are forced to remove the crates, ZOS gotta need to find more income options. OR describe the content of the box upon purchase. That would actually make me more interested in purchase those. I don't like to buy anything with random content.
  • eyeseezombiesub17_ESO

They are but you have to have the zone achieve for gathering them on another character to buy them. It's just for helping level alts, but that said I don't think they should do this. It's headed down the slippery slope of P2W.

I agree. It does carry the possibility of evolving into P2W and I'm also concerned with the player turnover rate. If you can, possibly at a later date, come in and essentially buy your characters, which I've seen in other games, people tend to pop in, play a bit, then move on to the next game that catches their eye. Having to have a character already complete that zone helps but I'm curious how long before people complain about it that ZoS decides to do away with it as a prerequisite. At the end of the day, a character that took you time to work on and build has far more value than one you simply bought.
    Edited by eyeseezombiesub17_ESO on May 18, 2019 3:38PM
  • eyeseezombiesub17_ESO
    Remember that lootbox is being threatned by the US Senate. If they are forced to remove the crates, ZOS gotta need to find more income options. OR describe the content of the box upon purchase. That would actually make me more interested in purchase those. I don't like to buy anything with random content.

Why is it being threatened? You don't have to purchase it, the deal is that you may or may not get what you want and you should know this going into it. If you don't feel like taking the chance then don't. I've bought them and I don't mind getting crap if I do, that's the game.

By all means, I want ESO to become successful, another reason why I don't mind buying the boxes, but at the same time, the get rich quick tactics don't bring value to the game, they lessen it.
    Edited by eyeseezombiesub17_ESO on May 18, 2019 3:51PM
  • Sailor_Palutena
    Sailor_Palutena
    ✭✭✭✭
    Not a problem with adults. But children are overspending their parents money almost out of control.
    https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2019-05-08-us-legislator-proposes-loot-box-ban

The problem is, the law can't separate if the lootbox are only valid for part of the population. Either it is allowed or it is not.
    I don't see a real issue with ESO, since it is like you said: optional. Heh, the game isn't even as grindy as wow. Absolutely time-friendly (and that's why I love ESO so much).

But should the law apply due to the mobile market forcing the freemium method, it will eventually hit consoles and PC. Activision, 2K and EA are the ones that will suffer the most.
  • CMDR_Un1k0rn
    CMDR_Un1k0rn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Not a problem with adults. But children are overspending their parents money almost out of control.
    https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2019-05-08-us-legislator-proposes-loot-box-ban

The problem is, the law can't separate if the lootbox are only valid for part of the population. Either it is allowed or it is not.
    I don't see a real issue with ESO, since it is like you said: optional. Heh, the game isn't even as grindy as wow. Absolutely time-friendly (and that's why I love ESO so much).

But should the law apply due to the mobile market forcing the freemium method, it will eventually hit consoles and PC. Activision, 2K and EA are the ones that will suffer the most.

Those parents should just have better control.

I'm getting sick of whiny brats (Read: children) ruining everything for adults with half a brain.

Needless to say I am never having kids. Wouldn't want to curse them with my genes anyway.
    In-game username: Un1korn | Happy member of the PCNA UESP guild (Resident Daggerfall Covenant enjoyer) | Main & basically only character: Crucian Vulpin, Imperial Dragonknight of the Daggerfall Covenant, and Undaunted Bulwark (I tank) | If you know me from PCEU: No
  • eyeseezombiesub17_ESO
    I think the keyword there is 'children'. When do parents actually parent when the gubment seems to always step in and do it? Anyway, those more capable are forced to move at the rate of those least capable, yet again.
  • huntgod_ESO
    huntgod_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Living_Ded wrote: »
    Wish I could just buy it ingame with gold :|

If it's giftable you can...
    --- HuntGod ---
    Officer of the Unrepentant
    www.unrepentantgaming.com
  • Morgul667
    Morgul667
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Those parents should just have better control.

I'm getting sick of whiny brats (Read: children) ruining everything for adults with half a brain.

Needless to say I am never having kids. Wouldn't want to curse them with my genes anyway.

Removing gambling from games is a good thing in my book
  • huntgod_ESO
    huntgod_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lootboxes are under attack because of how they are presented and that they target a vulnerable segment of the population (people with addictive personality issues, wasn't talking about kids). If you restrict them in the same was that lotteries and other gambling endeavors are, posting odds, etc. then you help prevent them rigging the odds or having floating odds, etc.

Right now you could have odds varying by account, or tied to other factors to maximize how they exploit you for maximum dollars. Marvel Heroes got into a little hot water right before it closed shop because they were offering coupons for discounts on the game currency and they appeared to tie them to factors other than a random number. SO for example, if you had NEVER purchased game currency, your odds were much higher to get a coupon, etc. It's this kind of manipulation that requires more transparency in the boxes and how they work.

I am not saying they are doing this, but they could be and the lack of transparency means there is no accountability for providing a fair game.
    --- HuntGod ---
    Officer of the Unrepentant
    www.unrepentantgaming.com
  • HanzeeBokeem
    HanzeeBokeem
    ✭✭✭
    Prices for Skyshards are up in the Crown Store
    https://www.elderscrollsonline.com/en-gb/crownstore/category/7#skyshards
  • Mygalomorpea
    Mygalomorpea
    ✭✭✭
    They can't be serious with this price, right? 50 crowns for 1 Skyshard? So if you want to send all Skyshard to a new toon it is over 20k crowns?

No interest in this at all... Will need to head to every zone anyway to collect wayshrines and lorebooks, and psijic skill line will send you everywhere as well...
  • lookstwice
    lookstwice
    ✭✭✭
    Oh wow lol. Pathetic it's that much.
  • Jayne_Doe
    Jayne_Doe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Not surprised in the least. I knew these wouldn't be cheap. It's mere convenience, and they've always put a premium on those things. Consider how expensive motif books are. You can get those in-game either earning them or trading with other players - or you can spend 5k crowns for one motif. But, some players are willing to pay for convenience. Or, they have lots of crowns from ESO+ or sales and don't have much else they want to spend them on.

This also ensures that these are less P2W, though I don't really consider these as such regardless. If you want to bypass gameplay, then you have to be willing to pay. And, some players might, but I suspect most will continue to do it the old-fashioned way, which is probably what ZOS intends.

So, they offer a way to get skyshards without playing, but it's expensive enough so that most players will still play to get them. The only way I'd purchase these is if I managed to get all Cyrodiil skyshards on one character. I could then pay to get them on my alts, though it would still be expensive since I think it's just unlocking for one alt. Correct me if I'm wrong and it unlocks them for all alts.
  • lookstwice
    lookstwice
    ✭✭✭
    Yep just one alt.

Just hope they don't start changing gameplay, by making them an incredible chore to get, so they drive more people to the crown store.
  • GrimClaw
    GrimClaw
    ✭✭✭
    Way tooooo overpriced. 800 crowns PER alt !
    Should be 800 / account !

This is like paying 300 USD per character to unlock. lolz
    Edited by GrimClaw on May 20, 2019 10:06PM
  • ThePurplePanther
    ThePurplePanther
    Soul Shriven
    I think it would be better if console players could get the unlock the LOCATIONS of shards AND books on the map. The collecting would be so much more fun, and go so faster. And yes, i have a phone, and i use it.
  • ThePurplePanther
    ThePurplePanther
    Soul Shriven
    Also, i think it would be better if you could buy LEVEL UPS, maybe beginning at your 3d or 4th level 50 char, or once you've reached the max cp. For instance, level up mages guild and fighters guild, or undaunted. After x number of characters, the game becomes a grind.
    It would also be nice if you could buy "unlock all base game skyshards" or all "alliance zone skyshards", for a not super high price. Or, once you have 3 or 4 characters, this unlocks automatically.
  • aresula
    aresula
    ✭✭
    Jayne_Doe wrote: »
    Not surprised in the least. I knew these wouldn't be cheap. It's mere convenience, and they've always put a premium on those things. Consider how expensive motif books are.

So, they offer a way to get skyshards without playing, but it's expensive enough so that most players will still play to get them.

This isn't even the same. You still have to earn the skyshards by playing the game. There is no shortcut. No matter how much money you have in this world you still got to hunt down every shard location yourself. This was supposed to be something to let people enjoy their alts with.

When you buy a motif, it is unlocked ACCOUNT wide. You don't have to play the game or do anything specific to unlock it. Skyshards are different. You got to unlock them and then when you spend money you only get it for ONE character. It's not an account wide purchase.

https://i.imgur.com/co77Q4w.jpg

The prices are ridiculous. Even for an account wide unlock. 10 crowns per zone would have been more realistic. You'd still have to spend around 500 crowns per character, and with like 10 characters that price goes up to 5000. You can buy an entire game for that kind of money, brand new FFS. I don't even want to calculate how much these existing prices would cost for all your alts. It's thievery. Zenimax Studio's thieves guild skill just went up by 100 levels.
  • CleymenZero
    CleymenZero
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    aresula wrote: »
    Jayne_Doe wrote: »
    Not surprised in the least. I knew these wouldn't be cheap. It's mere convenience, and they've always put a premium on those things. Consider how expensive motif books are.

So, they offer a way to get skyshards without playing, but it's expensive enough so that most players will still play to get them.

This isn't even the same. You still have to earn the skyshards by playing the game. There is no shortcut. No matter how much money you have in this world you still got to hunt down every shard location yourself. This was supposed to be something to let people enjoy their alts with.

When you buy a motif, it is unlocked ACCOUNT wide. You don't have to play the game or do anything specific to unlock it. Skyshards are different. You got to unlock them and then when you spend money you only get it for ONE character. It's not an account wide purchase.

https://i.imgur.com/co77Q4w.jpg

The prices are ridiculous. Even for an account wide unlock. 10 crowns per zone would have been more realistic. You'd still have to spend around 500 crowns per character, and with like 10 characters that price goes up to 5000. You can buy an entire game for that kind of money, brand new FFS. I don't even want to calculate how much these existing prices would cost for all your alts. It's thievery. Zenimax Studio's thieves guild skill just went up by 100 levels.

I agree, the price is unreasonable. The only thing that is shutting us down is the fact that some will actually purchase these.

Don't know if the sales would be better if the price was more sensible considering it is not account-wide. We can't do anything but complain and hope it picks up and becomes something they have to answer to which it won't.
  • Grandesdar
    Grandesdar
    ✭✭✭
    Im a console player and still no idea how much they priced these. 800 crowns for all the skyshards whole game for a char? If that's the case, that's a bargain. Just bought horse speed for 1k and that is way too expensive, but I couldn't live with that slower than walking horse for 2 weeks.
    Main: The Charismatic StamDK DD
    Side: A Handsome Warden Healer
    Side: (upcoming) Stam Necro DD
    CP: 680
    EU PSN: Style3513
  • Eatmyface
    Eatmyface
    ✭✭✭
    So let me get this right... You buy the skyshard zone, BUT once used once it's done?

I (stupidly) thought it was a housing item and you could have that zones skyshard in your home - to be used indefinitely.

Wow. Excitement GONE.