Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

The jump in on every fight mentality.

merfpmerfinton
merfpmerfinton
✭✭✭
So what's the deal with this? I understand public boss fights, anchors and whatnot, but why do people feel the need to add in on regular mob fights? Is this a WoW thing? In DAoC it was always kinda considered poor etiquette to just jump in, unless the person was asking for help.

As a nightblade I get magicka regen and health returned, when I kill something with a certain ability. Having someone run up and land the killing blow isn't earth shattering, but it can get pretty annoying.
Same goes for when you're trying to test some numbers. You think you've found a nice secluded spot, but nope someone runs up and starts wailing on the mob. Again, it's not gonna ruin my day, but it's just like wtf...
  • rager82b14_ESO
    rager82b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do it so i can get magic regen back because I am a night blade as well :pensive:
    In all truth, it is pretty much easy free xp.
  • Melian
    Melian
    ✭✭✭✭
    Because they get xp and loot.

I have no problem with it, as long as they don't pull/knock the mob away - that's just rude. Sometimes I like the company and/or help.
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Habit i guess. When i'm running around i always hit the trigger when i see something move. Don't even think about it.

On the other hand, lately, i have switched to leveling my resto staff and now when i'm bored and running around i spam random players with AoE healing while they're in a mob fight.
    :)
  • Sue_D_Nim
    Sue_D_Nim
    ✭✭✭
    If this were a different game, I'd be in wholehearted agreement with the OP. In DAoC, did the player who landed the killing blow or who did the most damage get the loot and the lion's share of the experience? Maybe that's the difference. it's not like that here: everyone who participates gets their own experience and loot. There's no such thing as kill stealing.

Knowing that, I base my choices on etiquette as well, but from the opposite viewpoint. I'm not going to just walk past some guy who's dying to a mob if I can help him and maybe save his life, or at least aggro them long enough to give him a chance to heal up. Especially if he's running or kiting; he doesn't have time to stand still and type "help!" or he's dead.

In a public dungeon it's a free-for-all anyway. If I don't join in, then what am I doing there? I'm certainly not going to loot whatever's there to be looted if I didn't earn it by helping to kill the mobs.
    "If danger doesn't find her, she'll seek it out and invite it home to dinner." ~ Prince Naemon
    "Such despair! Richer than a cheese sorbet!" ~ Sheogorath
  • Laerrus
    Laerrus
    ✭✭✭
    From a WoW player's perspective, players usually do it to help the other player out. Then again most of the mobs in that game are "first come, first serve" unless they are the Timeless Isle rare-elites.
  • driosketch
    driosketch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    It's not necessarily poor etiquette, as most people will welcome help. Many don't have time to yell for help when they get in trouble.

Unless they want xp or loot, many players will hang back if it looks like you've got this with a fight. The game rewards helping out, so if they do jump in, they generally aren't likely to get chastised.

The one exception where this is considered rude, are quest objective mobs. I.E. they need to get kill credit or they need the enemy alive for something.

Any other time, not wanting help is a minority attitude. Inconvenient on your part, true, but if you want your fight to yourself, you have to be proactive in letting other players know.
    Edited by driosketch on April 12, 2014 12:03AM
    Main: Drio Azul ~ DC, Redguard, Healer/Magicka Templar ~ NA-PC
    ●The Psijic Order●The Sidekick Order●Great House Hlaalu●Bal-Busters●
  • Firestar_
    Firestar_
    ✭✭✭
    How does it hurt you? You don't get less loot, less xp and the mob dies faster. So really, it's only a help rather than hinder because now you can kill the next mob faster.
    Firestar - Imperial Templar - Ebonheart Pact
    Reasons-For-War - Argonian Dragonknight - Ebonheart Pact
    Pearl Winterstone - Orc Sorcerer - Ebonheart Pact
    Jerro - Dunmer Nightblade - Daggerfall Covenant
  • merfpmerfinton
    merfpmerfinton
    ✭✭✭
    Well if they're getting loot and xp, it makes sense. It's just not something I'm used to.
    DAoCs tagging system or whatever you want to call it, has changed so many times over the years and some mobs had really long spawn times. I guess that's why people just don't add in at all.

If it's the norm here, than so be it.
    Thanks for the input folks :smile:
    Edited by merfpmerfinton on April 12, 2014 12:18AM
  • Alyrn_Grey
    Alyrn_Grey
    ✭✭✭
    Yep, ESO instances the loot so everyone who tags the critter has a chance of getting loot from it.
  • speedaemonc4
    I tend to enjoy the help, being a templar tank nothing I've encountered yet has a great chance of killing me but they also take a bit longer to kill than the dps builds down em. The only downside is when I two shot mobs and think for a second I'm actually that good just to realize a nightblade actually two shoted and my hit did an unnoticable amount before he got there.lol
  • nudel
    nudel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Typically, I help because I'm there and I can.

The one time I started to think like the OP and left someone alone...I was just derping around (fishing/ gathering nodes/ etc) while my group partner was trading with someone. Maybe 40 yards away, I saw a stranger running through the forest with 5 mobs hot on his tail. I thought about helping and then thought 'he's got a big sword. he probably doesn't even want my help'. I cast my fishing pole out and rotated around to watch while he and the 5 mobs went at it. He managed to take down 3 of them, but not without losing half of his health. I dropped the fishing and ran to help when he was at 1/3 of his bar. But it was too late. By the time I got in range to throw down a heal, he was dead.

I felt soooo bad...

Next time, I'm healing you. You'll just have to deal with it :P
    Edited by nudel on April 12, 2014 2:57AM
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    driosketch wrote: »
    Many don't have time to yell for help when they get in trouble.
    Many people in the area would not notice the call for help even if they did have time.

I will not walk through someone's battle, I will either wait or help them kill it. I am more likely to kill the thing if the other player is around my level, it is likely we are on the same quest line and killing it will help us both continue on, or they look like they might be in trouble. I have seen a number of players die when I could not get to the fight fast enough.

ESO Plus: No
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • SeñorCinco
    SeñorCinco
    ✭✭✭✭
    I stopped doing it all together. Now, I either keep going or stop to watch and cross my character's arms. If the player is in obvious trouble and down to a sliver of health, I will help out. IF the current character is of a kind heart.

For the dark characters will stand and laugh as they are ripped away into the Void.
    Words contained in posts, at which point I stop reading and will not respond...
    Toon / Mana / WoW or any acronym following "In ___" /
    Pets (when referring to summoned Daedra) / Any verbiage to express slang (ie, ending in uz,az,..) / Soul Stone
    ... to be continued.

Now, get off my lawn.

• Shimond
    Shimond
    ✭✭✭✭
    It's not a big deal in this game, both people get full xp and loot. No reason not to. You're not 'stealing' kills or loot.
  • slymerub17_ESO
    didn't realize it was a problem. Figured people were helping out. I'm am somewhat new to MMO's however. I don't have a problem with people jumping in. It's actually saved me from dying on a few occasions.
  • SeñorCinco
    SeñorCinco
    ✭✭✭✭
    Shimond wrote: »
    It's not a big deal in this game, both people get full xp and loot. No reason not to. You're not 'stealing' kills or loot.

But what about the "finesse" aspect? Doesn't one get extra XP for that?

... or do you just get Ultima from finesse?
    Words contained in posts, at which point I stop reading and will not respond...
    Toon / Mana / WoW or any acronym following "In ___" /
    Pets (when referring to summoned Daedra) / Any verbiage to express slang (ie, ending in uz,az,..) / Soul Stone
    ... to be continued.

Now, get off my lawn.

• Eris
    Eris
    ✭✭✭✭
    Especially on the weekends, and in the indoor areas, it seems to me that if you don't jump in on a mob, you get nothing. Last weekend I could literally walk through some of those and never see a single mob and if I did it was already under attack.
    Side effects of reading messages on forums can cause nausea, head aches, spontaneous fits of rage, urination due to intense laughter, and sometimes the death of your monitor or other object in throwing range. If you find that you are reading forums more than 24 hours a day, please consult your nearest temporal physicist.
  • Seraseth
    Seraseth
    ✭✭✭✭
    But what about the "finesse" aspect? Doesn't one get extra XP for that?

... or do you just get Ultima from finesse?

They said the finesse is just for building up ultimates now.
  • Azuleslight
    I normally jump in when i see someone almost dead. I first try to just heal but if that pulls a mob to me im not gonna very well let it beat on me, so i kill it. other than that i stand back for the most part and see what people got in their trick bag.
  • darkkterror_ESO
    darkkterror_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    To be honest, the game kind of encourages it. Everyone gets their own experience and loot for killing a mob, no matter how many different players attacked it. This is unlike most other MMOs that use a "tag" system where only the first person to hit the mob gets the xp and loot.

In other MMOs, there's no reason to attack and kill a mob that someone else has already hit, since you won't get xp or loot for it. In this game, I don't really see much reason not to attack mobs that people have already engaged.
  • Melian
    Melian
    ✭✭✭✭
    nudel wrote: »
    Typically, I help because I'm there and I can.

The one time I started to think like the OP and left someone alone...I was just derping around (fishing/ gathering nodes/ etc) while my group partner was trading with someone. Maybe 40 yards away, I saw a stranger running through the forest with 5 mobs hot on his tail. I thought about helping and then thought 'he's got a big sword. he probably doesn't even want my help'. I cast my fishing pole out and rotated around to watch while he and the 5 mobs went at it. He managed to take down 3 of them, but not without losing half of his health. I dropped the fishing and ran to help when he was at 1/3 of his bar. But it was too late. By the time I got in range to throw down a heal, he was dead.

I felt soooo bad...

Next time, I'm healing you. You'll just have to deal with it :P

If you want to heal me when I accidentally pull two packs of mobs, divines bless your kind heart.

• Svann
    Svann
    ✭✭✭
    It was my experience in wow that people would never ever help you out. NEVER. Here though everyone that helps gets xp/loot and it doesnt take any away from you. I hadnt thought about the kill magika though.
  • Lazarus_Long
    Lazarus_Long
    ✭✭✭
    My main toon is a healer so I heal everyone. If that is not enough I will jump in to save you. If you are low level and on your first or second character you might not have enough gold for huge repair bills. Even if you are high level I am sure you don't want to pay huge repair bills. Rarely I will just go in guns blazing and help you take down the mob ASAP because I am in hurry and your mob is in my way. XD
    Edited by Lazarus_Long on April 12, 2014 5:06AM
    The List For Living - A guide for new or troubled players

Hey Jute, get in my bag
    Take a lag spike and make it better
    Remember to let research play its part
    Then you can start to make a sweater

The Bohemian Auction House
  • BlackSparrow
    BlackSparrow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My healer will spam heals on anyone who she passes who is fighting. She'll only DD, though, if she knows you're having trouble.

My Nightblade, on the other hand, will jump in if you're under 50% health or fighting 3+ mobs.

In either case, however, it is a helpful mindset, not a kill-stealing one. Kill-stealing is not possible in this game, after all. Try to think of it as the helpful gesture it is, and perhaps consider why other players feel the need to jump in on your behalf.
    Living vicariously through my characters.

My Girls:
    "If you were trapped in your house for, say, a year, how would you pass the time?"

Nephikah the Houseless, dunmer assassin: "I suppose I could use the break. I have a lot of business holdings now that need management."
    Swum-Many-Waters, elderly argonian healer: "I think that I would enjoy writing a memoir."
    Silh'ki, khajiit warrior-chef: "Would this one be able to go outside, to the nearby river? It's hard to fish without water!"
    Peregrine Huntress, bosmer hunter: "Who is forcing me to stay inside, and where can I find them?"
    Lorenyawe, altmer mechanist: "And why would I want to go outside in the first place? Too much to be done in the workshop."
    Lorelai Magpie, breton master thief: "I'd go nuts. Lucky for me, I have a little experience sneaking out!"
    Rasheda the Burning Heart, redguard knight: "I would continue my training to keep my skills sharp."
    Hex-Eye Azabi, khajiit daedric priestess: "I suppose it would be lucky, then, that I built a shrine to Mephala in my backyard."
    Yngva Stormhammer, nord bandit (reformed...ish): "I hate being inside even when I'm not forced to be. GET. ME. OUT."
    Madam Argentia, vampire dunmer aristocrat: "I suppose it would be more of the same. I have a rather... contentious relationship with the sun."
    Mazie gra-Bolga, orc scout: "Uh... I'd have to house train my bear..."
    Felicia the Wanderer, imperial witch-for-hire: "What Lorelai said."
    Calico Jaka-dra, retired khajiit pirate: "This one would like a rest from her grand adventures. Her jewel shop runs out of stock!"
    Shimmerbeam, blind altmer psijic: "Provided that I am confined to Artaeum, I do not think I will want for things to occupy my time."
    Shauna Blackfire, redguard necromancer: "Sounds like paradise. I hate people."
    Kirniel the Undying, cursed bosmer warrior: "I would feel useless, not being able to fight."
    Echoes-from-Dragons, argonian who thinks she's a dragon: "All the better to count my hoard!"

(Signature idea shamelessly stolen from Abeille.)
  • Vodkaphile
    Vodkaphile
    ✭✭✭
    Is this a WoW thing? .

Is this a really bad attempt at an insult or something? Of course this isn't a WoW thing - for 8 full years WoW worked on a tapping system so there was no reason to help ANYONE. People would watch each other die so they could then tap the mob. World bosses were a joke, and solo players were completely ostracized because of the system.

I think now WoW has a hybrid tapping system, but last I played it still sucked (the system).
  • Traisa
    Traisa
    ✭✭✭
    As a healer I frequently pass by Dark Anchors to see if anyone needs healing. The last Dark Anchor battle I participated in really needed it too. After the battle was completed I got messages from players thanking me for the heals. I'd rather them do the damage anyways. I'm having fun being the healer and keeping you guys alive! ;)
    Edited by Traisa on April 12, 2014 5:37AM
  • Nox_Aeterna
    Nox_Aeterna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I kill what is in my path , honestly , i dont jump into others fights , unless they appear to be losing , in which case i do help (like ressing random dead people) , but if the mobs are in my way , like a dungeon or a quest , i will atk them also so that i can pass without problems.
    "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."
    -Hanlon's razor