The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Does the patcher have to be such a disk space hog?

eklhaftb16_ESO
eklhaftb16_ESO
✭✭✭✭✭
This is not really a call for tech support, more like a feedback about a tech issue. Please forward to wherever it belongs.

I have this 120 GB SSD just for ESO, right? The patch is 7GB. Yet for some reason, I run out of disk space while patching - first about 90% in, then after a restart, like half a GB before the completion.

a9lzw20fldkq.png

Great - but I have no more disk space, and I have nothing to delete to make more room, because this disk is just ESO. What to do?
It took me some time to figure it out, but what I eventually did was I replaced all the old *.bik files in the depot/video/ folder with their own empty copies, which gave me just enough extra room to finish patching (thinking about it now, there are probably more elegant solutions possible involving junctions or redirects, but well - hindsight and all that).

So, when the patching is finally complete (some four hours after I started the first attempt), the "PLAY" button pops up, and my disk space counter suddenly jumps from 0 to 36 GB. Really? Isn't that a bit... excessive, a 30+ GB temp to install a 7 GB patch? ;)

I realize it's essentially my fault for not having enough room - but, you know, SSDs are generally quite small, and it would be extremely helpful if there was an option to select a different destination for patch download folder and patch temp folder. That's all.
  • Mudcrabber
    Mudcrabber
    ✭✭✭✭
    I wonder if you could use an ntfs junction (mklink /j) to point the launcher's temporary folder(s) to another drive. I don't remember the folder names and I'm not at home to check.
  • Blackers
    Blackers
    ✭✭✭
    what I eventually did was I replaced all the old *.bik files in the depot/video/ folder with their own empty copies, which gave me just enough extra room to finish patching

Could you please explain what you mean by empty copies? I'm having the same issue as you, a whole 120 SSD just for ESO isn't enough for this update. seems a bit excessive.

Cheers.

MagBlade / Templar Healer (PC/EU/DC)
  • Voradyn
    Voradyn
    Soul Shriven
    Same here.
    But it's not a whole story, after failure patching, what does the launcher? Yeah, it downloading the whole fu**ng patch again!

I just want to ask devs - are you serious?
    I feel really stupid, because I paid 3 month subscription to try this "game". Yes, for the game which I can't play anymore.
  • Bazeric
    Bazeric
    ✭✭✭✭
    So it wasn't just me.
    Looking for broken things in hopes they may be fixed. I've given up, my game literally works differently from yours.
    64M+ AP across 9 toons... kinda makes me a GO
  • Miaura
    Miaura
    ✭✭✭
    Yup its getting painfully frustrating with the patcher, every time there is a big patch errors occur, and usually it cries for moar space . Today I tried to do a repair after getting errors applaying the patch, but of course 54 gb free was not enough...