The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

50+ GB patch applying after restarting launcher?

Esoriel
Esoriel
✭✭
So I got the Elswyr update this morning when I opened the ESO launcher. I haven't purchased Elswyr yet. I think it downloaded somewhere around a 5 or 6GB patch and began applying. The download didn't take long at all but the patch was applying very slowly (about 1% every 15 minutes) so I decided to restart the launcher and now it looks like it is trying to apply a file the size of the entire game? I think it started at around 60GB. Is this right or am I missing something here? At the current rate of my launcher applying the patch its going to take probably all day to do this. Is this happening to anyone else and what can I do to fix it?
  • Dosuul
    Dosuul
    ✭✭✭
    I think it's just validating your files.
  • Esoriel
    Esoriel
    ✭✭
    Dosuul wrote: »
    I think it's just validating your files.

It did that very fast and now is on a very long applying patch thing. How big was this mornings patch? Wasn't it around 5 or 6GB? After I restarted the launcher it seemed like it wanted to reapply the entire game. Why did it do that for me?
  • Merlight
    Merlight
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Esoriel wrote: »
    I think it downloaded somewhere around a 5 or 6GB patch and began applying. The download didn't take long at all but the patch was applying very slowly (about 1% every 15 minutes) so I decided to restart the launcher and now it looks like it is trying to apply a file the size of the entire game?

My guess is that you messed up when you closed it while applying. The way the patcher works is it downloads changes between what you have*, and what's required by live servers. Applying those ~6GB changes means sprinkling them over all the game data files. If you interrupt this process, you'll have some parts new version, some old version, and some in mess. The patcher has some resilience to data corruption, but not really that great, and if it fails to figure out what version of which file you have, it just falls back to downloading the whole game from scratch.

* it goes by one particular .version file, doesn't actually check each data file, unless you run repair
    EU ‣ Wabbajack nostalgic ‣ Blackwater Blade defender ‣ Kyne wanderer
    The offspring of the root of all evil in ESO by DeanTheCat
    Why ESO needs a monthly subscription
    When an MMO is designed around a revenue model rather than around fun, it doesn’t have a long-term future.Richard A. Bartle
    Their idea of transparent, at least when it comes to communication, bears a striking resemblance to a block of coal.lordrichter
    ... in the balance of power between the accountants and marketing types against the artists, developers and those who generally want to build and run a good game then that balance needs to always be in favour of the latter - because the former will drag the game into the ground for every last bean they can squeeze out of it.Santie Claws
  • EmEm_Oh
    EmEm_Oh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Was it just one 6GB file that was being downloaded today or two.
  • Merlight
    Merlight
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    EmEm_Oh wrote: »
    Was it just one 6GB file that was being downloaded today or two.

The largest part "depot" almost 7GB, voiceovers nearly 1GB
    2000000000 May 20 15:41 depot_281to283.z01
    2000000000 May 20 15:59 depot_281to283.z02
    2000000000 May 20 16:17 depot_281to283.z03
     980804773 May 20 16:26 depot_281to283.z04
         37416 May 20 16:26 depot_281to283.zip

909332295 May 20 21:27 vo_en_277to279.z01
         9944 May 20 21:24 vo_en_277to279.zip

EU ‣ Wabbajack nostalgic ‣ Blackwater Blade defender ‣ Kyne wanderer
    The offspring of the root of all evil in ESO by DeanTheCat
    Why ESO needs a monthly subscription
    When an MMO is designed around a revenue model rather than around fun, it doesn’t have a long-term future.Richard A. Bartle
    Their idea of transparent, at least when it comes to communication, bears a striking resemblance to a block of coal.lordrichter
    ... in the balance of power between the accountants and marketing types against the artists, developers and those who generally want to build and run a good game then that balance needs to always be in favour of the latter - because the former will drag the game into the ground for every last bean they can squeeze out of it.Santie Claws
  • Esoriel
    Esoriel
    ✭✭
    It finally finished a couple hours ago. Applying the patch took way longer than downloading it. So I know not to restart the launcher anymore when its doing that but it was still applying the patch at a very slow pace so I didn't know what else to do.