The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Has something changed with Battlegrounds?

montgomery.luke07b16_ESO
Hey guys as the title suggests I am curious has there been a patch that has changed resistances or upped the damage in Battlegrounds? I run Bg's every night on all my characters from my lvl 26 mag sorc right up to cp 630 stam sorc and mag nb.

Generally I hold my own and do pretty well, lasting long enough to get some decent fights and even able to pull off the odd 1 v X. However last night was different, I was constantly getting melted in seconds, almost too fast to react.

Now i haven't changed anything to do with my gear, skills or setup.

Maybe i just came across some very competent players last night.
Edited by montgomery.luke07b16_ESO on May 16, 2019 8:05AM
By Hircine's hand i mark thee!
  • Noctus
    Noctus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    if u cant 1 vs x anymore then u just had good opponents. ppl lately inform themselves more about how to build before going into bg.
  • montgomery.luke07b16_ESO
    Noctus wrote: »
    if u cant 1 vs x anymore then u just had good opponents. ppl lately inform themselves more about how to build before going into bg.

I wouldn't even say i can't 1 v X anymore. Just surviving even 1 v 1 was a struggle.
  • ChunkyCat
    ChunkyCat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you play often enough, then your MMR goes up.

In theory, when your MMR goes up, you get matched with opponents of equally higher MMR. This saves the poor newbs you’ve been wrecking from continually getting wrecked by you.

The problem is that higher MMR matches aren’t as easy as wrecking those poor newbs and you yourself could end up being the newb getting wrecked.
  • montgomery.luke07b16_ESO
    Very fair point an i noticed i wasn't steamrolling people as much. The damage just seemed much much higher, possibly due to better players chaining combos better and gearing better.
  • Aurielle
    Aurielle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You probably entered a higher MMR bracket and aren’t fighting potatoes anymore. Welcome to the club!
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Aurielle wrote: »
    You probably entered a higher MMR bracket and aren’t fighting potatoes anymore. Welcome to the club!

This, there are different tiers to BGs. Nothing formal but as you do them more you'll get more difficult opponents.

When you first start it's all new players figuring out their class and it's easy to dominate and go 20+-0 (heck, I've even done it as a magblade), then as you progress more you'll get more difficult opponents. I've noticed sometimes it's just one higher MMR player per team, sometimes it's all higher MMR players per team. I haven't figured it out.

Eventually you'll get all players who mostly spam battlegrounds and it's rare to have BGs death matches end with someone hitting 500 points. As you go up the tiers the composition of teams changes too, in the higher end it's almost all DKs, Sorcs and Wardens. You might struggle on your magblade if you're pure dps, I've seen some stamsorcs do well but generally they're more uncommon too.
    Edited by Iskiab on May 16, 2019 5:24PM
    Looking for any guildies I used to play with:
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
    LoC EQ2 - Mayi and Iskiab
    Condemned and Tabula Rasa - Rift - Iskiab
    Or anyone else I used to play games with in guilds I’ve forgotten
  • Abhaya
    Abhaya
    ✭✭✭✭
    Pretty much what everyone else said. Just going to add that you are more likely to come across coordinated groups as your MMR goes up too. Went from pug stomping to getting 1 shot by 3 timed dawnbreakers and shalks over a few matches.
    Abhaya - PC NA - Ebonheart Pact
    Stam Sorc 2-Hand / Bow Build: https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Special:EsoBuildData?id=169103
  • Thogard
    Thogard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Iskiab wrote: »

This, there are different tiers to BGs. Nothing formal but as you do them more you'll get more difficult opponents.

When you first start it's all new players figuring out their class and it's easy to dominate and go 20+-0 (heck, I've even done it as a magblade), then as you progress more you'll get more difficult opponents. I've noticed sometimes it's just one higher MMR player per team, sometimes it's all higher MMR players per team. I haven't figured it out.

Eventually you'll get all players who mostly spam battlegrounds and it's rare to have BGs death matches end with someone hitting 500 points. As you go up the tiers the composition of teams changes too, in the higher end it's almost all DKs, Sorcs and Wardens. You might struggle on your magblade if you're pure dps, I've seen some stamsorcs do well but generally they're more uncommon too.

Stam sorc is extremely common in the highest MMR matches during prime time, its the most common Stam class. There are no DKs.

Novelli and mystikkal both stream high MMR matches:

Edited by Thogard on May 17, 2019 5:17PM
    PC NA - @dazkt - Dazk Ardoonkt / Sir Thogalot / Dask Dragoh’t / Dazk Dragoh’t / El Thogardo

Stream: twitch.tv/THOGARDvsThePeasants
    YouTube: http://youtube.com/c/thogardpvp

• kylewwefan
    kylewwefan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I think they answered your question with the MMR thing. I’d really like to know when it starts going back down and I can win a freaking round or a death match that doesn’t take the whole 15 minutes.
  • Thogard
    Thogard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    kylewwefan wrote: »
    I think they answered your question with the MMR thing. I’d really like to know when it starts going back down and I can win a freaking round or a death match that doesn’t take the whole 15 minutes.

So far we don’t know that MMR can go down, other than indirectly through the group finder artificially lowering it the longer you’re in queue as the group finder becomes more flexible with finding you a match.

I, for one, prefer the longer matches. It makes the gameplay more tactical - rather than racing to 500 you have to make sure you’re not feeding kills. Many matches are won by just 3 or 3 kills.
    Edited by Thogard on May 17, 2019 5:03PM
    PC NA - @dazkt - Dazk Ardoonkt / Sir Thogalot / Dask Dragoh’t / Dazk Dragoh’t / El Thogardo

Stream: twitch.tv/THOGARDvsThePeasants
    YouTube: http://youtube.com/c/thogardpvp

• kwinter
    kwinter
    ✭✭✭
    The time of day you queue can have impact. Prime time you are more likely to get matched with the higher MMR
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Thogard wrote: »

Stam sorc is extremely common in the highest MMR matches during prime time, its the most common Stam class. There are no DKs.

I see Mystikkal a lot, I think Novelli rings a bell. I don’t play BGs during prime time though, I didn’t know he/she was a stamsorc... maybe I see them on alts.
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
  • HEBREWHAMMERRR
    HEBREWHAMMERRR
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I see Mystikkal a lot, I think Novelli rings a bell. I don’t play BGs during prime time though, I didn’t know he/she was a stamsorc... maybe I see them on alts.

Yeah stam sorc is disgusting in BGs in the right hands but that can be said about any class really. But as far as variety definitely see warden and DK heavily in high MMR. Idk if it’s different on PC but magplars are very common on xbone as well for group play
    Edited by HEBREWHAMMERRR on May 17, 2019 10:07PM
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Yeah stam sorc is disgusting in BGs in the right hands but that can be said about any class really. But as far as variety definitely see warden and DK heavily in high MMR. Idk if it’s different on PC but magplars are very common on xbone as well for group play

In PC-NA I’d say they aren’t that common amongst healers. The most common healer is definitely warden.

I see some magplars dps, there’s one dude highpolicy or something like that who does well. I pay attention to classes on my own team moreso then others, but think stamplar are more common.

I usually play mornings or sometimes in the afternoon EST time zone. Things might be different during prime time, if I do BGs later in the day there are a lot of names I don’t recognize and I’ve even noticed a different playstyle.
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
  • Noctus
    Noctus
    ✭✭✭✭✭

PC EU yes a *** of wardens in high mmr
    Edited by Noctus on May 19, 2019 12:07AM
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Yea, it’s easy to see why. Permafrost and the bugs, but I think that’s a good thing. Every class should have one or two things that make people say ‘this is what defines my class’ and it doesn’t matter if it’s really powerful. Like a class defining ability that everyone uses and should use.
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
  • MaxJrFTW
    MaxJrFTW
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Salty comment edit...
    Edited by MaxJrFTW on May 20, 2019 8:01AM
    "I don't know you, and I don't care to know you."