The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Can you suggest ways to make block, bash, and dodge easier?

anon307
anon307
✭✭
I like an easy gaming experience. I'm currently playing a magplar. For the most part it's enjoyable to play. The one downside is many elite/quest-boss mobs can one shot my toon (or my reaction time is slow enough that the mob gets in multiple attacks and kills the toon) if I miss a dodge, block or bash. I'm using the add-on Combat Cloud and that helps make it clearer how to react. Does anyone have suggestions on making block, bash and dodge easier?
  • AcadianPaladin
    AcadianPaladin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some folks set their control key bindings for a separate single key for block, bash and dodge-roll. That is not for me though since I'd rather deal with key combos than more keys.

One thing I do is increase the amount of delay allowed between keystrokes for dodge-roll (in controls settings). That way I don't have to double tap quite as fast or risk missing the dodge-roll.
    PC NA(no Steam), PvE, mostly solo
  • deepseamk20b14_ESO
    deepseamk20b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Personally I use an MMO mouse and have dodge as one of my side buttons where my thumb naturally rests. Block is still right click, and interrupt/break free is a tiny key right next to left click. All very easy to navigate. My skills, potions, and a couple other things are on the side buttons as well.

Other than that, practice. Not everything has an easy way out nor should it be easy.
    Hey everyone! Look! It's a signature!
  • anon307
    anon307
    ✭✭
    I'm guessing the only answer is going to be related to add-ons. Are there other add-ons besides Combat Cloud that interact with block, bash, and dodge?

Of minor note, I don't appreciate being told my fun is wrong. If you like things hard that's cool. But please, restraining from preaching to the choir that things shouldn't be easy. imo, the optimal way is options so both easy and hard can enjoy their preferred fun.
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    For trials there is Raid Notifier and Codes Combat Alerts that will alert you to things elsewhere.

Code's adding is probably more what you are looking for. But it will not tell you everything. An addon can only give a prompt if there is something available in the API to work with. One thing to note these addons will pick up prompts for fights in the area so you may get a notification even if you are not in combat.
  • Jierdanit
    Jierdanit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    anon307 wrote: »
    I'm guessing the only answer is going to be related to add-ons. Are there other add-ons besides Combat Cloud that interact with block, bash, and dodge?

Of minor note, I don't appreciate being told my fun is wrong. If you like things hard that's cool. But please, restraining from preaching to the choir that things shouldn't be easy. imo, the optimal way is options so both easy and hard can enjoy their preferred fun.

You wont find players who are gonna say the game should stay hard, because it already is too easy.... On a somewhat builded character (and by that i dont mean gold BiS gear, but just simple blue and green armor and a weapon somewhat close to ur lvl) you should not have any problem dealing with overland mobs/elites and quest bosses.

PS: i also dont understand how u would make blocking easier than right Mouse.
    Edited by Jierdanit on May 17, 2019 12:02PM
    PC/EU, StamSorc Main
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There's a couple things I'd suggest. I don't use add-ons for this, so I have none to suggest.

On PC, you can rebind your keys, so if using a different key would help, go for it.

I also change the color of enemy effects to something I can see easily. So like when enemy archers do those big cone attacks that I want to either bash or dodge roll out of, mine show up as bright teal, not red. That way I can't ignore them. That's pretty helpful on big boss AOEs as well.

The best advice I can give is to pay attention to the combat cues the game gives.

Red streaky lines mean an interuptable mechanic. White streaky lines mean the enemy is winding up for a heavy attack you need to block. Cones need to be blocked. Charges are long rectangles along the path and need to be blocked or dodged.

I like to practice recognizing those by fighting Daedra, because the minibosses have a number of special attacks and the fight gets more difficult if you miss them.
    Edited by VaranisArano on May 17, 2019 12:14PM
  • DeadlyRecluse
    DeadlyRecluse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Binding a few things to single keys can help.

Changing playstyle to something more forgiving (ranged vs melee, tanky vs glass cannon) can help, too.
    Thrice Empress, Forever Scrub
  • sudaki_eso
    sudaki_eso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    anon307 wrote: »
    I like an easy gaming experience. I'm currently playing a magplar. For the most part it's enjoyable to play. The one downside is many elite/quest-boss mobs can one shot my toon (or my reaction time is slow enough that the mob gets in multiple attacks and kills the toon) if I miss a dodge, block or bash. I'm using the add-on Combat Cloud and that helps make it clearer how to react. Does anyone have suggestions on making block, bash and dodge easier?

If a quest boss one shots you then there is something else wrong...that shouldnt happen, i cant recall any quest boss or mobs that has a one shot mechanic, i might be wrong tho.

The best advise is: Dont stand in stupid - no offense intended but i guess thats what might causes your death. You can change the color of the things that are dangerous to you in the settings, pick any color you can see good (i like blue or pure white), set the transparency to 0 so its a solid color, makes it much easier to see.
    Also keep an eye on the mobs and bosses when fighting them, if you see the channeling animation (red streaks) its time to bash. If you see white/yellow streaks, block. You got a big aoe under you, dodge roll out of it.

I dont know how to make it more easier then pressing a single button, i know its hard to see whats going on if there are tons of effects going on but thats what you need to practice, learn who to focus because he hits hard and try to keep an eye on the mechanics the boss/mobs are doing. Its just a matter of practice.
    PS4 EU - StamDK
  • Stx
    Stx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I bind dodge and bash their own keys, it helps me with reaction time. Make sure that if you bind dodge to something that its something you can hit while strafing either direction.
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I mapped Bash to the Q Key as the L+R does not always work for me.

Can't really think of anything better than the Right Mouse Button for Block.

Now, Dodge I am assuming you mean Dodge Roll (as Dodge is really just a miss by the enemy). Play with your keyboard repeat rate so the double tap on WASD gives you the effect you want without looking like a tumbling monkey.

Then, you have to develop your muscle memory. Find an NPC somewhere that is fairly static and practice moving around the NPC doing the Block and Bash and Dodge Roll. Because, no matter what control scheme you come up with, your going to have to spend an hour two practicing it. No getting around that.

Once the moves become second nature, then find a training dummy and practice firing off light attacks and skills while moving and circling and strafing an enemy.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• evoniee
    evoniee
    ✭✭✭✭
    bash c, jump v, dodge space, block rmb, most used skill mwheelup mwheeldown m3, buff m4 m5, ult r
  • XarethiuS
    XarethiuS
    I personally use " Q " as my dodge button and it really helps.
    "I swear to you gentlemen, that to be overly conscious is a sickness, a real, thorough sickness."
    -Fyodor Mikhailovich Dostoevsky

"A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?"
    -Albert Einstein

“Hell isn't a fire pit but a museum of regrets.”
    -Exurb1a
  • anon307
    anon307
    ✭✭
    What did you'll rebind the potion quick key too? That is Q by default.

My button pushing reaction is slow and I frequently push the wrong button. Trying to mash 1-5 at appropriate times, moving the toon, doing bash (remapped to F) and dodge, all in quick and precise movement is really more then lefty can do. I can see how a gaming mouse would help as that would help balance out jobs for each hand.

I changed Combat Cloud so it only displays the bash, dodge, and block notification. That improved it a lot. That add-on floods the screen with data.