Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Possible to make your own chat channels?

Sshado
Sshado
Soul Shriven
Would it be possible for players to make their own chat channels that other players are able to join?
A lot of us would like to RP, but it becomes difficult when there's only one possible channel: /say.
I have no problem using /say for the mean time, but eventually player events on a larger scale are going to require a channel that can't be completely spammed into oblivion or harassed.
Edited by Sshado on April 2, 2014 7:34AM
  • Trouvo
    Trouvo
    ✭✭✭
    yeah you can make a guild.....otherwise...no, or a group? or even a warband...but thats it
    Edited by Trouvo on April 2, 2014 7:37AM
    Bloodline|RP Guild|Ebonheart Pact
  • smilingmaybe
    smilingmaybe
    ✭✭✭
    Sshado wrote: »
    Would it be possible for players to make their own chat channels that other players are able to join?
    A lot of us would like to RP, but it becomes difficult when there's only one possible channel: /say.
    I have no problem using /say for the mean time, but eventually player events on a larger scale are going to require a channel that can't be completely spammed into oblivion or harassed.

Considering the way guilds are designed (more chat channels than anything else, with the ability to join 5 of them), it'd make a lot of sense for the RP community to just make a generic RP guild for its RP-specific server-wide chat channel.
  • Sshado
    Sshado
    Soul Shriven
    Oh, I suppose making a party/group would work just fine. I hadn't thought of that!
  • RonniLeigh
    ahonma_ESO wrote: »
    Sshado wrote: »

Considering the way guilds are designed (more chat channels than anything else, with the ability to join 5 of them), it'd make a lot of sense for the RP community to just make a generic RP guild for its RP-specific server-wide chat channel.

The problem with this approach is that guilds are capped at 500 people. Even if roleplayers chose to create a generic RP guild outside of their main RP guilds for example to serve this function it completely destroys the ability to have random RP with anyone who hasn't happened to join the generic guild. Zenimax suggested at one point that roleplayers might be able to save preferences for phasing so that they can be phased together to relieve some of the difficulties the megaserver poses for them, but in the mean time, I'd agree that a "quick win" might be to allow users to create additional chat channels.

Either that, or Zenimax could just create an RP channel for us (even better if joining it didn't limit the members those in your phase, but I'd just take having the channel in the first place. :wink: )

Edited by RonniLeigh on April 12, 2014 1:32AM