The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

Hang on Xbox during load

MachineKludge
This seem to have started about a week ago, after the last maintenace window. I will end up stuck in a load screen. Sometimes I see the, "unusually long" message, but sometimes I don't see anything happening other than the spinner. Maybe 3 times I have gotten a screen that was entirely black, except for the spinner.

I would say it happens most often when I logout a character. Next most frequent, it can happen after clicking 'play' but before getting to the character picker. It has also happened after picking the character and trying to load into the game. I have not had any problems whiloe zoning into dungeons or using wayshrines.

If I wait long enough, I will usually get kicked to the main title screen, with a message about inactivity. Right now I see error 308, but I couldn't say for certain that is always the error. There are no problems with my connectivity outside of ESO. I have run speedtest from IE and the Xbox troubleshooting tests also, and everything says my internet connection is very good. (Typically I see 100 Mbps down / 11 up.). (For example, when I get frustrated from this, I can go watch Netflix without any problems.)

Right now, things started with a hang while logging out. Since then I am unable to get from the 'play' screen (announcements) to the character picker. Choosing to 'Quit' the game has not had any effect. Read an older, similar bug where someone sugeseted loging into the other server, e.g. I play NA, so try logging into EU -- this had no effect and it took a long time to even change the server. I finally did a hard reset of Xbox and I am able to login a character again.

I feel like began with the last Xbox maintenace (about a week ago), definitely not more than 2 weeks.

Since the Aniversary event began, I usually login every account at least once a day, which is unusual for me. (Normailly, I would use only 1-3 characters on any given day.)
  • Wavek
    Wavek
    ✭✭✭
    My suggestion would be to get your XB1 to clear ESO cache to see if something in there has gotten corrupted. The best way I know of to do that is to power down the XB1 then unplug it for a short time then plugin and power up again. I know quite a few people have managed to improve performance issues by doing this so it is worth a shot for you.
  • MachineKludge
    Well, of course I didn't lock back here until I was already stuck for this day, and a full reboot normally fixes it anyway. But I did as you have suggested, so I should know in a day or two.
  • MachineKludge
    I guess I think this worked, at least for a little while. Today is the first time ESO has crashed on me since my last post, so that is better than daily. Still pretty much sucks, but it's better.
  • ThanatosXR
    ThanatosXR
    ✭✭✭
    Ethernet
  • Beardimus
    Beardimus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ethernet, clear Xbox cache, clear the save game cache too. The latter doesn't fix everything, but when its needed its a game changer.
    Xbox One | EU | EP
    Beardimus : VR16 Dunmer MagSorc [RIP MagDW 2015-2018]
    Emperor of Sotha Sil 02-2018 & Sheogorath 05-2019
    1st Emperor of Ravenwatch
    Alts - - for the Lolz
    Archimus : Bosmer Thief / Archer / Werewolf
    Orcimus : Fat drunk Orc battlefield 1st aider
    Scalimus - Argonian Sorc Healer / Pet master

Fighting small scale with : The SAXON Guild
    Fighting with [PvP] : The Undaunted Wolves
    Trading Guilds : TradersOfNirn | FourSquareTraders

Xbox One | NA | EP
    Bëardimus : L43 Dunmer Magsorc / BG
    Heals-With-Pets : VR16 Argonian Sorc PvP / BG Healer
    Nordimus : VR16 Stamsorc
    Beardimus le 13iem : L30 Dunmer Magsorc Icereach
  • MachineKludge
    My network is fine. Ports are good and I get 120 up, 12 down, so no problem there. I have verified this from IE inside Xbox. I have also run the pair of builtin Xbox tests.

The cache thing helps, but not for long. This would help for a day or two maybe.

I last weekend I deleted all local install and data files and done a full reinstall. This seemed to work, but my problem resumed the day following the last patch.

It is very frustrating. I have filed a support request, but it was closed since clearing the cache solved the immediate problem. I work in software on a product with millions of customers. I know the logic. Unless the problem I am hitting is happening to a decent percent of the user base, it is going to be a very low priority issue. (If it happened to a decent percent of the user base, my searches would find a lot more people reporting this problem.)

So I think I am F'ed. :(