Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Soft Caps for armor rating.

DanMan3395
Am I supposed to always be hitting the armor soft cap in heavy armor? I feel like the game is trying to force me to mix/match armor types. I have no interest in doing so... does that mean I am weakened for not being some kind of hybrid?
  • Xionar
    Xionar
    ✭✭✭
    Yes you should be hitting it. As heavy armor is the highest your armor rating should be able to achieve. Any buffs to armor will easily set you over. However it is not a hard cap, and if you want more armor you can still get it. I wouldn't say it would make you weaker...though a couple pieces of medium with the dex passive might be of high benefit :P

Being overcharged is not a bad thing....it means you're good at what you're aiming at...whether that be high hp...magicka, armor, or spell res. Now if you hit a hard cap...then you're probably going a bit too far.
  • SuperScrubby
    SuperScrubby
    ✭✭✭
    You kind of are gimped if you keep forcing armor when you're overcharged. This game heavily "encourages" you to not use full heavy, which to me is dumb. So do yourself a favor and throw a piece of medium or light on there to keep your armor high but also get some passives from the other skill lines.
  • DanMan3395
    You kind of are gimped if you keep forcing armor when you're overcharged. This game heavily "encourages" you to not use full heavy, which to me is dumb. So do yourself a favor and throw a piece of medium or light on there to keep your armor high but also get some passives from the other skill lines.

Maybe I am a bit old school but that has no appeal to me at all. I want to play to a role and I want that role to be a all heavy armor tank. Kind of like a Knight or Paladin. Mixing in stuff is extremely un-appealing to me. That is why I am asking if I am going to be punished down the road for playing to a role instead of going hybrid.
  • Shimond
    Shimond
    ✭✭✭✭
    Depends on your definition of punished. You will have higher armor than someone who is not overcharged, and thus take less damage when hit. They however might be wearing armor that gets them access to passives which provide slightly better magica regen than you (heavy armor has no such passives).
    Edited by Shimond on April 11, 2014 7:14PM
  • DanMan3395
    Shimond wrote: »
    Depends on your definition of punished. You will have higher armor than someone who is not overcharged, and thus take less damage when hit. They however might be wearing armor that gets them access to passives which provide slightly better magica regen than you (heavy armor has no such passives).

That really gets to the heart of my question, I am still new so the numbers aren't huge yet but when I wear all 7 pieces of heavy currently, the last 1 or 2 give me about 15% or so of their listed armor ratings. Since in theory if I mix/matched I would get 100% of some other bonus, I feel like the game is trying to push me into a mix/max scenario. Is this truly how it works?

Ultimately it feels like those last 2 pieces of Heavy Armor are essentially doing nothing... If I still got say 90% of the listed armor it would be one thing but the amount seems to almost completely nullify them. Is tanking frowned upon in this game? I really like being a meat shield in these games ;)
  • SuperScrubby
    SuperScrubby
    ✭✭✭
    I mean punished in the sense that every time you add to an overcharged stat you get very very very very little return. It's not even diminishing returns, its diminutive returns.

The stat caps are super low and take nothing to hit, you lose out on so much if you try to force past that cap to where if you don't swap that piece of armor or enchant you're basically losing a slot.
  • DanMan3395
    I mean punished in the sense that every time you add to an overcharged stat you get very very very very little return. It's not even diminishing returns, its diminutive returns.

The stat caps are super low and take nothing to hit, you lose out on so much if you try to force past that cap to where if you don't swap that piece of armor or enchant you're basically losing a slot.

That basically validates my experience thus far and is unfortunate. I am low level now though so I will just play into the higher end game and see if the issue still exists, If not I will tank away, if so then maybe its just not the game for me. Thanks a bunch!
  • SuperScrubby
    SuperScrubby
    ✭✭✭
    As you level up the cap slowly goes away since it becomes higher, so it's not a major issue, but it's still better to diversify anyways while leveling. Let's say you want to play a different style such as magic or dual wield? You already have everything else leveled up so you can jump right in. Not to mention some of the bonuses from the other armor pieces are pretty good.
  • DanMan3395
    As you level up the cap slowly goes away since it becomes higher, so it's not a major issue, but it's still better to diversify anyways while leveling. Let's say you want to play a different style such as magic or dual wield? You already have everything else leveled up so you can jump right in. Not to mention some of the bonuses from the other armor pieces are pretty good.

Like I said, I am old school and if I want to play a radically different role, i would make an alt and let his story in tamriel unfold.
  • malais
    malais
    With a buff you can hit the cap in light armor especially if it is all fine or better quality.

Can't wait to hear the complaints of tanks hitting the HARD cap while wearing grapes or golds.