The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

I have a question about master writs.

CMDR_Un1k0rn
CMDR_Un1k0rn
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭
What are the criteria for these to drop?

Do you simply have to be level 50 in the respective crafting skill, or do you also have to be able to craft CP160 items as well? So that is to say, do you have to have the skill points invested?

Or is it just a case of being level 50 in the tree?
In-game username: Un1korn | Happy member of the PCNA UESP guild (Resident Daggerfall Covenant enjoyer) | Main & basically only character: Crucian Vulpin, Imperial Dragonknight of the Daggerfall Covenant, and Undaunted Bulwark (I tank) | If you know me from PCEU: No
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You have to be doing the max rank daily writs, creating CP 150 gear.

That gets you a lowish drop rate. You can increase the drop rate for Master Writs by learning more motif styles, researching more traits, learnibg recipes, and learning the traits of enchanting runes and alchemy reagents.

My master crafter who knows most of the current motifs gets noticeably more master writs for blacksmithing, clothing and woodworking than my other crafters who are doing the same level of writs but know much less motifs.
  • msalvia
    msalvia
    ✭✭✭✭
    Exactly what Varanis said
  • CMDR_Un1k0rn
    CMDR_Un1k0rn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Excellent. Thank you for the insight guys. Very much appreciated, as always.
    In-game username: Un1korn | Happy member of the PCNA UESP guild (Resident Daggerfall Covenant enjoyer) | Main & basically only character: Crucian Vulpin, Imperial Dragonknight of the Daggerfall Covenant, and Undaunted Bulwark (I tank) | If you know me from PCEU: No
  • tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just to add.

You must be doing max level writs for a chance at a master writ.

Blacksmithing/Woodworking/Clothing drop rates are increased based on the number of full, complete purple motifs that you know. (Base drop rate seems to be around 4-5%, increasing to around 10% for all motif knowledge)

Provisioning drop rates are increased by the number of purple and gold recipes that you know

Enchanting drop rates are increased by the number of runes that you have "translated"

Alchemy drop rates are increased by the number of reagents you have learned all 4 traits for

Jewelry drop rates are increased by the number of traits you have researched in jewelry.
    Tenacious Dreamer - Hurricane Herald - Godslayer - Dawnbringer - Gryphon Heart - Tick Tock Tormenter - Immortal Redeemer - Dro-m'Athra Destroyer
    The Unchained - Bedlam's Disciple - Temporal Tempest - Curator's Champion - Fist of Tava - Invader's Bane - Land, Air, and Sea Supremacy - Zero Regrets - Battlespire's Best - Bastion Breaker - Ardent Bibliophile - Subterranean Smasher - Bane of Thorns - True Genius - In Defiance of Death - No Rest for the Wicked - Nature's Wrath - Undying Endurance - Relentless Raider - Depths Defier - Apex Predator - Pure Lunacy - Mountain God - Leave No Bone Unbroken - CoS/RoM/BF/FH Challenger
    61,215 achievement points
  • Jayne_Doe
    Jayne_Doe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    It's also worth noting that you'll see far more Master Writs if you do top-tier writs on more than one character. Sure, my main sees more MWs drop overall, but there are days when I don't get any on her, but will still get a few on alt characters.

Of course, it takes time to get alts up to level 50 in all the crafts and the necessary skill points, but it's been worth it to me. Also, the alts don't even need to know the traits or motifs or recipes, etc. for a chance at Master Writs. Of course, it's best to have some knowledge. So, my alts know 8 traits on the gear crafts (haven't been bothered to learn 9 on them) as well as the basic blue motifs, purple motifs, and holiday motifs. They know a decent number of purple recipes and all traits for enchanting and alchemy.

This is probably a ways off for you right now, but it's worth thinking about. Perhaps even focusing on just alchemy and enchanting, as you only need to learn all the traits for those. And, they are some of the easiest MWs to do, although they don't reward as much as gear MWs can.
  • tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jayne_Doe wrote: »
    It's also worth noting that you'll see far more Master Writs if you do top-tier writs on more than one character. Sure, my main sees more MWs drop overall, but there are days when I don't get any on her, but will still get a few on alt characters.

Of course, it takes time to get alts up to level 50 in all the crafts and the necessary skill points, but it's been worth it to me. Also, the alts don't even need to know the traits or motifs or recipes, etc. for a chance at Master Writs. Of course, it's best to have some knowledge. So, my alts know 8 traits on the gear crafts (haven't been bothered to learn 9 on them) as well as the basic blue motifs, purple motifs, and holiday motifs. They know a decent number of purple recipes and all traits for enchanting and alchemy.

This is probably a ways off for you right now, but it's worth thinking about. Perhaps even focusing on just alchemy and enchanting, as you only need to learn all the traits for those. And, they are some of the easiest MWs to do, although they don't reward as much as gear MWs can.

This. I have 30 characters across 2 accounts, all of whom are doing writs. It greatly "evens" out the drops of master writs, which are quite rare on a character by character basis. I use the Alchemy and Enchanting MWs to level the new characters now.
    Tenacious Dreamer - Hurricane Herald - Godslayer - Dawnbringer - Gryphon Heart - Tick Tock Tormenter - Immortal Redeemer - Dro-m'Athra Destroyer
    The Unchained - Bedlam's Disciple - Temporal Tempest - Curator's Champion - Fist of Tava - Invader's Bane - Land, Air, and Sea Supremacy - Zero Regrets - Battlespire's Best - Bastion Breaker - Ardent Bibliophile - Subterranean Smasher - Bane of Thorns - True Genius - In Defiance of Death - No Rest for the Wicked - Nature's Wrath - Undying Endurance - Relentless Raider - Depths Defier - Apex Predator - Pure Lunacy - Mountain God - Leave No Bone Unbroken - CoS/RoM/BF/FH Challenger
  • FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    tmbrinks wrote: »
    This. I have 30 characters across 2 accounts, all of whom are doing writs. It greatly "evens" out the drops of master writs, which are quite rare on a character by character basis. I use the Alchemy and Enchanting MWs to level the new characters now.

Do those give a lot of XP? How do you get high enough research on a new character, as well as styles?

Or are you just saying you do the daily crafting writs, though that would be something different.

I can't even do all the master writs I have on my main crafter who has researched a good bit of everything. I can't see doing them on a new character.
    PC
    PS4/PS5
  • kringled_1
    kringled_1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Tmbrinks specifically said alchemy and enchanting master writs, for which there is no lengthy research process and motifs are not relevant. If you have the materials and the skill points, you can level both of these crafts quickly.
  • CellularAutomaton110
    Not sure if it is still representative, but this gives the general idea:
    https://blog.fizban.fi/2018/04/master-writ-drop-rates-2018-04/
  • tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    tmbrinks wrote: »

Do those give a lot of XP? How do you get high enough research on a new character, as well as styles?

Or are you just saying you do the daily crafting writs, though that would be something different.

I can't even do all the master writs I have on my main crafter who has researched a good bit of everything. I can't see doing them on a new character.

As @kringled_1 said. Only Alchemy and Enchanting MASTER WRITS, they are cheap, easy to do, and require no research, only leveling of the skill line. Alchemy you can force level by just making potions and learning traits. Enchanting takes a little longer. I just deposit all the glyphs I get from doing the enchanting writs in the bank and decon on the one that needs to level the skill. Make sure to learn the "new" glyphs as you level up the skill, as those provide a large bonus inspiration.

They give excellent XP. During the event, along with a 150% scroll, it only takes between 5-6 to move each level. You generally have to be around level 10 before you have enough skill points to even do Alchemy, so it takes between 200-250 alchemy/enchanting writs to fully level up a character with them. With doing the daily writs on 30 characters, I get, on average, between 4-6 of these a day. I'm currently saving them up to level up my Necro when Elsweyr drops, have about 120 saved up already.

I have 1 character, out of the 30 that can do all of the master writs. I have 2 others (on my main account) who could possibly do some, but that's only because of the event I decided to just learn some of the motifs that were dropping as they weren't worth selling, and my friends already all knew those motifs on their main crafters as well.

For motifs, I only learn the blue racial motifs, the 4 purple "full" motifs from the base game, along with some of the very, very cheap purple motifs, such as Mercenary and Hollowjack, etc... The rest are not worth the monetary cost to learn on a regular basis.
  • FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I hadn't thought of doing all the different kinds of "recipes" to level up quicker. Though I still have to pump skill points in, so I am not in a rush. (I have maxed a single character on all the skill points for crafting. I am painfully gathering them for everyone else quite slowly, since I also like to play a character.)
    PC
    PS4/PS5