The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Jewelry crafting costs

RABIDxWOLVERINE
RABIDxWOLVERINE
✭✭✭✭
Will we ever see prices drop for jewelry crafting mats? I play on Xbox One and I can't justify spending 80k on one gold upgrade mat... Ever! Right now to gold out a piece of jewelry it would cost 320k which is insane. Its really frustrating that they do jewelry crafting in a different way than any other crafts. The fact that you need 10 gold grains to make a plating is ridiculous. It shouldn't cost 960k to gold a jewelry set. I'm curious what the pricing is like on ps4 and pc. What do you all think?

Edit: just realized you only need 4 platings? Is that correct which lessens my frustration lol
Edited by RABIDxWOLVERINE on May 11, 2019 8:37PM
Rhaegar Gregorson, The Ebonheart Centurion - Imperial Dragonknight
RABIDxWOLVERINE - Xbox One, NA, Ebonheart Pact

Loreseekers

BLOOD FOR THE PACT!
  • karthrag_inak
    karthrag_inak
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I think nothing will ever be done about this. there's no incentive on their part to fix it, and let's face it, they've already "fixed" things one time - this is the "improved" jewelry minigame.
    PC-NA : 19 Khajiit and 1 Fishy-cat with fluffy delusions
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Simply put it is supply and demand determines price and Zos stated they wanted it to be less common to upgrade jewelry than armor and weapons. Long ago they expressed concern about how adding jewelry crafting would impact the game and this is what they did to curb that.

They have reduced the cost of matters by half or about that but I expect will be the last adjustment we see for a long time.
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you can do jewelry crafting writs on characters, even just one per day, that will help defray the cost of gold mats over time.

Last week I just finished golding out my Willpower jewelry ... with about 1 1/2 platings from crafting writ rewards and decon (the other 2 1/2 platings I paid in gold at the guild traders). Doing writs definitely helps.

Edited by Taleof2Cities on May 11, 2019 8:59PM
  • FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    idk wrote: »
    Simply put it is supply and demand determines price and Zos stated they wanted it to be less common to upgrade jewelry than armor and weapons. Long ago they expressed concern about how adding jewelry crafting would impact the game and this is what they did to curb that.

They have reduced the cost of matters by half or about that but I expect will be the last adjustment we see for a long time.

Kind of funny that all this does is limit things to the more elite players, especially those with lots of gold. Keep it out of the hands of those casuals!

Bad idea, but it is where it is.
    PC
    PS4/PS5
  • Craziux
    Craziux
    ✭✭✭
    It was 80 Golden Tempers before to craft 1 Golden Jewelry.
    Now it's 40 Golden Tempers. (They call it Grains, but I'll just call them Tempers to simplify the split into 10's)

Currently with the "fix", it's 5 times as expensive as any other craft in the game.
    Even just half that again would be expensive.
    -
    Edited by Craziux on May 11, 2019 11:24PM
    [Outfits] Hide More Armor Slots?
    Cast your vote and make it happen!

,<* 1200+ CP EU/PC *>,
    ,<* Explorer of Tamriel since Beta *>,
    Hours spent in-game: 7500+ #NoLife
    AD:
    Valp - Sorc DD
    Valp Stud - DK Tank
    Bad Argonian - Temp Heal

DC:
    Shu-Chi - PvP Warden

EP:
    Craziux - PvP NB
  • SoLooney
    SoLooney
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do jewelry writs on all 15 of my toons and have plenty of chromium grains and plates. Not to mention surveys give a buttload of them as well from refining

Also helps when your team does plunder runs in hm craglorns or progressing any vet content on hard mode

And jewelry crafting isnt for the elite, you can farm jewelry seams, do writs and surveys, or run trials for 1 or 2 jewelry pieces

I'll admit its expensive to upgrade to gold jewelry, but complaining isnt gonna get your platings faster, be proactive
  • bmnoble
    bmnoble
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I like my profits from selling jewelry mats.

See no flaw in Jewelry being expensive to make, you can frequently find cheap purple/gold set jewelry on the guild traders for
    a portion of the cost to make stuff yourself.

You can farm purple jewelry at dolmens, which just cost time or do harder content like trials to get gold jewelry, or just buy off the Golden Vendor for 100K a piece or buy with Alliance points.

idk wrote: »

Kind of funny that all this does is limit things to the more elite players, especially those with lots of gold. Keep it out of the hands of those casuals!

Bad idea, but it is where it is.

Most Casual players can barely afford purple gear, even if jewelry crafting were to cost the same as Golding out weapons or armor people would still be complaining about the price.

Many of those elite players you speak of earn their purple/gold gear doing the harder content.

Crafting end game gear is not something aimed at casual players, its for people who have invested the time and effort to be able to do so.

I swear people complain about the prices in ESO, play SWTOR for awhile and try to get a full set of end game gear crafted, costs run into the high tens of millions due to how inflated their economy is with their rare upgrade mat equivalents costing hundreds of thousands or even millions per mat.

It would take months of grinding to full gear out a character but here, it just takes being good at either making gold or the game itself to gear your characters.

• Ri_Khan
    Ri_Khan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I find it funny that jewelry crafting benefits traders more than the actual dedicated crafters. The drop rate on zircon and chromium grains from processing mats and decon'ing jewelry should be increased. The benefits of having gold jewelry over purple is minimal and doesn't justify the rarity or cost at this point. I'm definitely not wasting any time or gold on it.
  • tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ri_Khan wrote: »
    I find it funny that jewelry crafting benefits traders more than the actual dedicated crafters. The drop rate on zircon and chromium grains from processing mats and decon'ing jewelry should be increased. The benefits of having gold jewelry over purple is minimal and doesn't justify the rarity or cost at this point. I'm definitely not wasting any time or gold on it.

What do you mean by "traders" versus "dedicated crafters"?

It's been a long, long time since I've crafted gear for anybody (other than enchanting), yet, I still do my daily writs every day, because it's damn good gold!
    Tenacious Dreamer - Hurricane Herald - Godslayer - Dawnbringer - Gryphon Heart - Tick Tock Tormenter - Immortal Redeemer - Dro-m'Athra Destroyer
    The Unchained - Bedlam's Disciple - Temporal Tempest - Curator's Champion - Fist of Tava - Invader's Bane - Land, Air, and Sea Supremacy - Zero Regrets - Battlespire's Best - Bastion Breaker - Ardent Bibliophile - Subterranean Smasher - Bane of Thorns - True Genius - In Defiance of Death - No Rest for the Wicked - Nature's Wrath - Undying Endurance - Relentless Raider - Depths Defier - Apex Predator - Pure Lunacy - Mountain God - Leave No Bone Unbroken - CoS/RoM/BF/FH Challenger
    61,215 achievement points
  • Ardaghion
    Ardaghion
    ✭✭✭
    Ri_Khan wrote: »

I think jewelry crafting benefits the bots more than anyone else. Imagine how much in-game gold you could make selling platings if you had an army of miners gathering pewter dust and then a few higher level deconstructers to get iridium, zircon and chromium grains with pewter sales a side benefit.