The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Advice on crafting/ new to ESO and MMO

infinitedraught
infinitedraught
Soul Shriven
I’m new to eso and mmo games, but a long time player of Elder Scrolls games. I love the lore and the ability to explore a vast majority of Tamriel. I’m looking for a guild that is welcoming to new players and casual. What I’m most interested in is crafting at this point and getting that one character leveled in all the crafting professions. Just looking for general advice when to start and how to tackle this whole process. I’ve read a lot of guides and they are helpful but also confusing. This could be because I haven’t advanced ver far in the game yet however.
  • tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I’m new to eso and mmo games, but a long time player of Elder Scrolls games. I love the lore and the ability to explore a vast majority of Tamriel. I’m looking for a guild that is welcoming to new players and casual. What I’m most interested in is crafting at this point and getting that one character leveled in all the crafting professions. Just looking for general advice when to start and how to tackle this whole process. I’ve read a lot of guides and they are helpful but also confusing. This could be because I haven’t advanced ver far in the game yet however.

Start crafting by researching the trash gear that drops from your quests/adventures. Deconstruct those which you aren't going to research. You will very quickly outlevel gear that you get to begin with, so there is no sense in saving it. You'll slowly level the skills. The research is the biggest time sink, especially at later levels, so get it started ASAP.

Tenacious Dreamer - Hurricane Herald - Godslayer - Dawnbringer - Gryphon Heart - Tick Tock Tormenter - Immortal Redeemer - Dro-m'Athra Destroyer
    The Unchained - Bedlam's Disciple - Temporal Tempest - Curator's Champion - Fist of Tava - Invader's Bane - Land, Air, and Sea Supremacy - Zero Regrets - Battlespire's Best - Bastion Breaker - Ardent Bibliophile - Subterranean Smasher - Bane of Thorns - True Genius - In Defiance of Death - No Rest for the Wicked - Nature's Wrath - Undying Endurance - Relentless Raider - Depths Defier - Apex Predator - Pure Lunacy - Mountain God - Leave No Bone Unbroken - CoS/RoM/BF/FH Challenger
    61,215 achievement points
  • JKorr
    JKorr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    You need to say if you're PC/NA or PC/EU, or if you're on console. If you're on pc/na I know a few guilds that welcome new players and have a lot of members willing to help out.

As for the crafting; start researching traits as soon as you can. Each trait has to be researched for each piece of gear. The first few don't take too long, but the time about doubles for each new trait, so by the time you get to the 9th one it takes real time days [about 30].

If you decide to split crafting between alts, consider keeping smithing/clothing/woodworking on one character; you will need/use motifs to craft the different styles, and there is really no reason to duplicate/triplicate[?] motifs. It is possible to get all the crafts maxed on one character, although it is a struggle in the beginning deciding where to put skill points; new characters might have to decide between crafting or combat skills.... Deconning loot/drops you aren't planning on using or selling is a good idea. Getting your character certified in crafting and do writs; you get rewards that include intricate items that give more experience when you decon them. If you have a higher level character giving that character's drops/loot to your crafter- you get more experience breaking down higher leveled items.
  • ghastley
    ghastley
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Crafting also ties into housing; furnishing your home with items you construct at the same crafting stations.

These will require skills from multiple crafts, so having all crafts on one character will be needed there.
  • infinitedraught
    infinitedraught
    Soul Shriven
    I should have included that I’m on Xbox NA. Thanks for the replies. Much appreciated.
  • Vigawatt
    Vigawatt
    ✭✭✭
    Food is important for any player, so provisioning is a good one to level early. Steal as much food as you can and just craft as much as possible in to recipes to level up provisioning.

Alchemy you also level by doing. Crafting potions, learning the attributes of the ingredients.

For the rest, it's all about deconstructing. Deconstructing provides a lot more experience than crafting. Deconstructing the items you get, or if you have some gold buy from guild traders because deconstructing stuff other people made is good experience. The items with the blue ribbon icon are the best because those give extra inspiration, the crafting experience, when deconstructed.
  • GrimClaw
    GrimClaw
    ✭✭✭
    Research 8 items per item class. You need it to craft legendary stuff later.
    It is usefull for vet dungeons to get better gear but after that crafting is mostly useless excpet provisioning and alchemy.
    Food is pretty strong in this game, lasts a long time and has a huge effect.

You also can buy crafted sets and upgrade them, even without having researched 8 items.
    Edited by GrimClaw on May 1, 2019 10:20PM
  • SeaGtGruff
    SeaGtGruff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As far as researching traits, there's a passive in each crafting skill line that shortens the length of time it takes to do research as well as increases how many items you can research at once-- except Jewelry, which is only 1 item at a time-- so if you put some skill points into those passives you'll be able to research 3 items per skill line. As long as you're finding dropped items that have traits you need to research, you can research the first several traits on each item pretty quickly. If you aren't finding items with the traits you still need to research, speak up in zone chat or guild chat and ask if anyone is willing to craft an item with a trait you need, because some players will be happy to do that for free, or maybe for a small tip. Sometimes this is even true for items with the Nirnhoned trait, especially if you can supply them with the correct type of Nirncrux so they don't need to use any of their own.

As far as the trait materials, it's easy to find them by looting containers in town. You can craft with looted materials, but you'll still want to launder them so a guard won't confiscate them if you get caught. You can also get trait mats from refining raw materials and deconstructing items. Again, there are passives that increase your chances of getting trait mats when you're refining or deconstructing, so you'll want to invest skill points in those passives.

And as far as improving items, there are passives that increase your chances of successfully improving items, so invest skill points in those as well, otherwise it will take a larger number of temp mats to improve an item.

As for the passives that make it easier to spot the nodes, you might not need to spend skill points on all of those, because for some things it isn't really that necessary. For example, I find it pretty easy to spot ores and metals, as well as wood and runes, even without the passives-- especially once you know what to look for as far as the different types of wood, ore, and metal-- whereas the plants needed for Alchemy and Clothing tend to be more difficult for me to spot unless I've got the passives that make those plants glow.

One more thing to be careful of is that if you get another skill point to spend and you decide to spend it on increasing the level of items you can craft, make sure you've either already completed your daily writs for that crafting skill line, or else that you definitely have enough of the mat needed for your old skill level. In other words, what can happen if you're not careful is that you increase your skill level for a particular craft, which means you will no longer be able to farm the raw material needed for crafting items at your prior level. So then you go to complete your daily writ in that craft only to realize that you don't have enough of the mat to do your writ! When that happens, you normally go farm some more of it-- except now you can't farm that particular mat anymore, so you'll end up having to either buy some from a guild trader or abandon your daily crafting writ.
    I've fought mudcrabs more fearsome than me!
  • ghastley
    ghastley
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That point about materials reminds me - you'll get enough materials back when you turn in a writ at low levels to make the next round, but because the amount of material increases with level, it won't be the case at higher levels. If you get a survey, it will be in place of materials, so go do it, or you'll start running short.

If you ran out because you just upped your rank, then do abandon the writ you can't do and take another. The new one will be at the new level.
  • FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Crafting can suck up a LOT of skill points, so be prepared for that.
    PC
    PS4/PS5