Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Grouping with friends?

jilted_anarchyub17_ESO
I dint play much in beta, was too excited to experience the game when it came out. A few friends have taken some days off so we could get together and play the game. How much of the game is solo only? We all thought this was a MMO, yet have found several quests that we couldnt do while grouped. Does this happen alot, or does it eventually turn into an open world where we can all group together? Kind of annoying that we all got together (LAN) to find a bunch of quests we cant do while grouped. Is most of the game supposed to be played solo?
  • drzycki_ESO
    drzycki_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    My friends and I do the quests when we are soloing. When we play together, we look for skyshards, explore and play in the dungeons. We are all old enough now to join the alliance war so we will be out there soon. We are having a blast!
  • kittybockub17_ESO
    I dint play much in beta, was too excited to experience the game when it came out. A few friends have taken some days off so we could get together and play the game. How much of the game is solo only? We all thought this was a MMO, yet have found several quests that we couldnt do while grouped. Does this happen alot, or does it eventually turn into an open world where we can all group together? Kind of annoying that we all got together (LAN) to find a bunch of quests we cant do while grouped. Is most of the game supposed to be played solo?

Actually, this is the first post I found on the topic...I have heard there are more. I've lead guilds in multiple MMO's and while I've only brought a few players to this one, the "grouping" makes it really rough on some players. It seems to be a single player RPG, dropped into an MMO backdrop, albeit one which has been beautifully crafted. That said, several of us are finding this increasingly frustrating, after playing games such as Everquest II (for years) and GW2, etc, wherein you can actually assist others, even though you may not be on the same quest. In Tera, RoM, etc, you could also assist others, even if you were not on the quest. The only time you had to be on a set quest was for a keyed dungeon or raid zone, that type thing.

My husband had read this was a limitation they'd put in place so that players would not run content repeatedly for easy levels, but quest content is usually not that desirable for levels...dungeons, yes. I agree with the annoying part, as we had several on my TS last night, yet could not help one another, until all players get into PvP. So...basically, this is level alone, until you get into PvP, then never quest again? (Quoting one of my guildies there, but I thought it a fair statement).

Kitty
  • Xionar
    Xionar
    ✭✭✭
    Main quest, Fighters Guild, Mages Guild, are the only solo quests that I'm aware of. In any other scenario, if you can't group, you're likely on a different phase of the quest than your group members. I personally have never had any issue with grouping, outside of those three types of quests I listed.
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just did a fighters guild quest last night while grouped with a guild friend and it worked just fine. However, this quest did not involve a dungeon, so that might be different.

I had to "travel to player" first to be synced and in the same phase but after that it was all good.
    :)
  • SeñorCinco
    SeñorCinco
    ✭✭✭✭
    Are you engaging the "share" option of the given quest?

Forgive me. While I haven't used this feature, you can see the option when clicking on the quest in your journal. I only assumed it was for this particular scenario.
    Words contained in posts, at which point I stop reading and will not respond...
    Toon / Mana / WoW or any acronym following "In ___" /
    Pets (when referring to summoned Daedra) / Any verbiage to express slang (ie, ending in uz,az,..) / Soul Stone
    ... to be continued.

Now, get off my lawn.

• SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are you engaging the "share" option of the given quest?
    We didn't last night. I have only used 'share' in Cyrodiil when with a larger group.

Last night, we simply grouped and did several quests together. The game recognized our grouping and our quest objectives were updated even if only the other person finished said objective.
    For example, there was one quest where we had to collect 6 of something and my count would go up whenever my friend picked up one item and vice versa.

All the quests we ran worked just fine that way, including the fighters guild quest.
  • kittybockub17_ESO
    Thank you for the suggestions, but I believe we are talking about different objectives here: we don't care about getting credit for the quest...when someone is getting their butt handed to them on a platter by a mob, we simply want to assist them. Multiple times we are left standing, because we cannot join the player and they die again. So, everyone is on different levels of quest, all stuck questing alone, hence it being one big RPG. In other MMO's, even if you do not have said quest, you can join the person, unless it is a personal story or quest, raid zone, etc. (as previously mentioned).

We did find an easy work-around last night: We all went back and played another game... :D
  • Seraseth
    Seraseth
    ✭✭✭✭
    It seems to be that if you make a character solely to play with another person, and neither of you so much as touches those characters without the other around, you'll mostly be ok for questing (other than every time you log in, having to travel to player to get into the same instance) :p
  • BlackSparrow
    BlackSparrow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll agree this is an annoyance. I can't help my sister out if she's struggling with quests I've already done. Travel to Player works much of the time, but there were major quests that it didn't work on, leaving her to face enemy hordes alone on her squishy, squishy sorc.
    Living vicariously through my characters.

My Girls:
    "If you were trapped in your house for, say, a year, how would you pass the time?"

Nephikah the Houseless, dunmer assassin: "I suppose I could use the break. I have a lot of business holdings now that need management."
    Swum-Many-Waters, elderly argonian healer: "I think that I would enjoy writing a memoir."
    Silh'ki, khajiit warrior-chef: "Would this one be able to go outside, to the nearby river? It's hard to fish without water!"
    Peregrine Huntress, bosmer hunter: "Who is forcing me to stay inside, and where can I find them?"
    Lorenyawe, altmer mechanist: "And why would I want to go outside in the first place? Too much to be done in the workshop."
    Lorelai Magpie, breton master thief: "I'd go nuts. Lucky for me, I have a little experience sneaking out!"
    Rasheda the Burning Heart, redguard knight: "I would continue my training to keep my skills sharp."
    Hex-Eye Azabi, khajiit daedric priestess: "I suppose it would be lucky, then, that I built a shrine to Mephala in my backyard."
    Yngva Stormhammer, nord bandit (reformed...ish): "I hate being inside even when I'm not forced to be. GET. ME. OUT."
    Madam Argentia, vampire dunmer aristocrat: "I suppose it would be more of the same. I have a rather... contentious relationship with the sun."
    Mazie gra-Bolga, orc scout: "Uh... I'd have to house train my bear..."
    Felicia the Wanderer, imperial witch-for-hire: "What Lorelai said."
    Calico Jaka-dra, retired khajiit pirate: "This one would like a rest from her grand adventures. Her jewel shop runs out of stock!"
    Shimmerbeam, blind altmer psijic: "Provided that I am confined to Artaeum, I do not think I will want for things to occupy my time."
    Shauna Blackfire, redguard necromancer: "Sounds like paradise. I hate people."
    Kirniel the Undying, cursed bosmer warrior: "I would feel useless, not being able to fight."
    Echoes-from-Dragons, argonian who thinks she's a dragon: "All the better to count my hoard!"

(Signature idea shamelessly stolen from Abeille.)
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    we don't care about getting credit for the quest...
    @kittybockub17_ESO‌
    That wasn't what i was implying at all. I was simply trying to tell you that when you group with someone using the in-game grouping function and then you select "travel to player" to ensure you're in the same phase, there is nothing holding you back to play cooperative, fight cooperative and receive rewards cooperative.

But alas, i see you already moved on, so good luck ...
  • SeñorCinco
    SeñorCinco
    ✭✭✭✭
    t...when someone is getting their butt handed to them on a platter by a mob, we simply want to assist them.
    That's why I asked if your group has the share option enabled. Not for the XP sharing necessarily but allowing you to do it as a group.

Still, the boss fights may remain instanced to the player. I am interested in hearing from someone on exactly how that works.
    Words contained in posts, at which point I stop reading and will not respond...
    Toon / Mana / WoW or any acronym following "In ___" /
    Pets (when referring to summoned Daedra) / Any verbiage to express slang (ie, ending in uz,az,..) / Soul Stone
    ... to be continued.

Now, get off my lawn.

• kittybockub17_ESO
    SirAndy wrote: »
    we don't care about getting credit for the quest...
    @kittybockub17_ESO‌
    That wasn't what i was implying at all. I was simply trying to tell you that when you group with someone using the in-game grouping function and then you select "travel to player" to ensure you're in the same phase, there is nothing holding you back to play cooperative, fight cooperative and receive rewards cooperative.

But alas, i see you already moved on, so good luck ...

Thank you, Sir Andy....Good name. We have utilized the "travel to player" on many occasions, but this also will not work for these phased quests. Basically, since players work, etc, none of them are on exactly the same steps...but they just need a little help here or there. If it is open-world and you need to kill some skellies, fine. If, however, it has to pull you into some sort of instance...that is where the platter with the aforementioned butt carving comes into play ;) No one can enter with you, unless they catch up on all the steps...really, really fast.

Kitty