Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Computer Question

gimarwb17_ESO
gimarwb17_ESO
✭✭✭
I have a computer question (ok I am not a computer person) I found that the reason ESO apparently does not play any longer since last update is because the update goes now onto the C Drive. My C drive only has 111GB in total and all my games etc are on F Drive. All other games have no problem with that, even large ones. But ok, I am trying to do whatever necessary to carry
on with my game .I checked C drive but don't know what I can take out.

It says at the bottom to tick to "compress this drive to save disc space" . What does this do - i.e. can I risk to do that?
I need at least 60 GB for ESO and currently I only have 37 GB of empty space......
  • ManwithBeard9
    ManwithBeard9
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I don't know if there's an easier way, but i just uninstalled ESO from the C drive(a hdd) and did a full reinstall onto my D drive (an ssd) and I've had no issues updating the game or using add ons.
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is no reason why ESO can't be installed and run from another drive. I have mine on G: (Where all my games live).

The only thing it stores on C: regardless of where the base game is installed is any AddOns you have plus their saved data, some precooked shaders, your user settings and your screenshots.

If ESO used to run from your F: drive and now wants to reinstall itself on C: something got messed up, in which case you may try this:

Close everything ESO, including the launcher and double check and see if ESO has installed itself on your C: drive under:
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Zenimax Online\The Elder Scrolls Online
    or
    C:\Program Files\Zenimax Online\The Elder Scrolls Online

If either of those exists, make sure the game is still on your F: drive as well, then delete the folder on C:
    Next step is to go to the game on F: and start the Launcher manually from "Zenimax Online\Launcher\Bethesda.net_Launcher.exe".

Once the launcher starts, click "repair" ...
    type.gif

• gimarwb17_ESO
    gimarwb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the replies. Actually I am with Steam. The game will not update and I cannot log into the game. Everything the customer help told me did not work. The game played very well up to the last long update. Since then I cannot log in. However the update cuts out and tells me that I do not have enough place on my C drive.(it says I need 60 G and I only have 37G) It does not give you the option to place it on another drive (usually other games give you the choice and you can change where you want it). I have most of the ESO stuff under Steam on F drive. A few lesser things of ESO on C drive.
    The update keeps giving me the error message that I do not have enough place on my C drive.

A person would expect it to go to the correct drive via Steam because that is how the whole game works with Steam. But Steam has no solution. When I told ESO customer service that the error told me that it needs more place on my C drive they said great, so that shows what is the problem. They were happy it was solved.
    I am so disappointed, I was burning to get to play a Necromancer...........all gone now....
  • upquark
    upquark
    ✭✭
    @gimarwb17_ESO the link below might help. I use Steam too, and it eats space like... something that eats a LOT of space.

***Deleted link*** This was a known-good link to a howtogeek article, but the OP had issues with it, so it's deleted. If you want to find the article just google it and howtogeek will come up. Good instructions.
    Edited by upquark on May 7, 2019 8:36PM
  • gimarwb17_ESO
    gimarwb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Hi upquark just to let you know; you meant well and I checked the site, sounded good, it came up with a direct call online and they asked to explain, also details of my computer and then they said it will only cost $5.00 and they will send me answer of how to solve my problem. they took me to my Paypal site, I logged in and just before I pressed pay I noticed that it was not $5.00 but $67.00. Of course I did not go ahead and also changed PW on my site. Sad how some people are but good to know for next time
  • gimarwb17_ESO
    gimarwb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Anyway my problem is not that I do not have enough place on my computer. My F Drive has still more than 700 g on it. The problem is that they do not give a choice on where to send the update, they automatically send it to C drive and my C drive has only total 111 g and only 37g left on the drive
    So they say I do not have enough g and do not go ahead and I can no longer play the game.
    This only happened since last update up to then game went well (on Steam)
    My game has only got very little on C drive like the Launcher and games all go to F. I tried to send Launcher to F drive but it does not work.

Hence I want to know if it is possible to compress the stuff on C in order to make more place on C as there is nothing I can really totally delete and I would not know what.
  • Kaymorolis
    Kaymorolis
    ✭✭✭
    I don't really know what that compress option does, but I'm pretty sure it won't free up any extra room on your hard drive.

I found this on how to change your Steam default install directory.

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=7418-YUBN-8129

Perhaps you can uninstall the game, change your default install directory, and re-download / install it again? I've never needed to do something like this or I would be better able to help.
    PC | NA
    CP: 240+
    Tai'Zar - 50 Bosmer Stamblade
    Annatar the Fair - 50 Altmer MagSorc
    Rules Through Fear - 50 Argonian Templar
  • upquark
    upquark
    ✭✭
    Hi upquark just to let you know; you meant well and I checked the site, sounded good, it came up with a direct call online and they asked to explain, also details of my computer and then they said it will only cost $5.00 and they will send me answer of how to solve my problem. they took me to my Paypal site, I logged in and just before I pressed pay I noticed that it was not $5.00 but $67.00. Of course I did not go ahead and also changed PW on my site. Sad how some people are but good to know for next time

Noooooo! I just double checked the link, definitely did NOT experience the same thing you did. Matt wrote that article, and howtogeek is a site well-known to me and I definitely didn't experience the same issue, so I don't know if your click got hijacked or what. You might want to run a quick malware check just in case. Dangit. That made me cringe.
    Edited by upquark on May 7, 2019 8:30PM
  • upquark
    upquark
    ✭✭
    @gimarwb17_ESO I've pasted and copied what you should have seen on the link I provided and double checked. Obviously, the screenshots didn't copy over as BBCode doesn't allow for it, but it's really quite straightforward (and howtogeek is always good at laying it out, especially Matt):

NOTE: howtogeek absolutely never asks for money, same as any other reputable tech site. I'm a tech professional, so I'm intimately familiar with a lot of resources available online, and if your link took you to another site, I urge you to check your system for malware/ransomware/adware and other redirects that your antivirus should be picking up (but many do not).

(The following is an excerpt from howtogeek walkthrough on this topic):

Moving your Steam library is really quite simple and can be accomplished in a few short steps on either Windows or OS X.

To begin, on Windows first go to where your Steam library is located. If you aren’t sure, you can find it by checking where the Steam client’s shortcut is pointed by right-clicking on the Steam shortcut and selecting Properties.

In this case, our Steam library is on our D: drive, but let’s say we want to move it to our G: drive, which is an SSD we’ve installed especially for games. Before you do anything, make sure to shut down Steam. Then, all you do is drag the entire Steam folder to the new location.

Once that is done (it might take awhile if you have a lot of games), it’s time to rerun Steam. You could just re-run the Steam.exe from its new location, but we recommend reinstalling it, which will update all your shortcuts.

Head to steampowered.com and download the installer (unless you have it lying about on your hard drive somewhere).

Once you start the installer, simply point it to your new destination and all your shortcuts will be updated in the process.

That’s it! The next time you run Steam, all your games will be there and you can start playing anything you want right away, no need to redownload or restore anything from a backup.
    Edited by upquark on May 7, 2019 8:42PM
  • Trinity_Is_My_Name
    Trinity_Is_My_Name
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As others have posted, just install it on a different drive. I have ESO on my I (eye) drive. Works fine.
  • ghastley
    ghastley
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's an annoyance that Windows insists that the \Users folder is on the C: drive that you boot from. Although you can't change that, it is possible to re-direct the folder to another drive using the equivalent of a unix symbolic link. There are several guides on how to do that - e.g.https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1964-move-users-folder-location-windows-10-a.html

This lets you have all your screenshots etc. that take up a lot of space, but don't need to be loaded quickly, on a separate drive from Program Files, which does benefit from being on the SSD.

This may also include the temporary files used during updates, and cure your Steam issue.
    Edited by ghastley on May 10, 2019 7:27PM