Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Which class to Pick? Build to play? Do Race matter a lot?

Sweetdeal
Sweetdeal
✭✭✭
Hey guys!

So my Question is, what class to Pick as a "beginer"? I liked the Hunter in WoW, a Mobile on the Move Casting Class. I like try to Solo Content, like big Elite Monsters and stuff, so I through a Range Class might be good for Kiting/Soloing Content.

I know there are some Elites in ESO, you normaly need a Group for, but it would be great to Solo them, so I don't have to spam the chat :)

My Plan is, once I ever hit CP160 or higher, to do the Trials/Raids and Vet. Dungeons, also love to try Cyrodil (hope it spelled correctly). Does the Race has a big Impact on your capability of Raiding/PvPing?

So a allrounder Class would be cool.

Hope you guys have some tips and maybe some tips how to "stay" on ESO. Since it look very beautiful and the Story telling is great.

PS: Any Addons you recommend for playing?

Thanks a lot guys!
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    When it comes to end game PVE raiding and PVP, yeah, race and class matters. The problem with recommending a race/class is that the best ones change every update. Fortunately, most races are pretty close to each other as long as you match their racial passives somewhat to their role.

Your best best is to choose whether you want to play stamina or magicka, and then pick your race accordingly.
    In no particular order:
    Stamina- Orc, Dunmer, Redguard, Khajiit
    Magicka- Breton, Altmer, Dunmer,
    Tank- Nord, Imperial
    Jack of all trades: Argonian

For class, all classes can do all roles, but in general for PVE:
    Tank- Dragonknight, Warden
    Healer- templar, Warden
    DD - nightblade, sorc
    Necromancer is coming out shortly with Elsweyr, so if you are interested in that, it might be worth giving that a go.

All classes are good for PVP, but play very differently depending on how you like to PVP.
  • Armann
    Armann
    ✭✭✭
    Sorcerer, mobile and has access to pets that can hold aggro when solo unlike the Warden bear. You can solo WBs and group dungeons with any class though. If you go the stamSorc route you can still make use of pets and roots like the Clannfear and Encase, combine that with a bow when you run around soloing. If you switch to melee you have Critical Surge and Hurricane to keep you alive.

As for race I'd recommend Dunmer, can switch between magicka and stamina and do well on both.

Combine one defensive set with one offensive set for solo play. For stamSorc I like to use Mark of the Pariah jewelry and weapons for defense and Briarheart for offense.
    EU megaserver | XboxNord Nightblade | Ebonheart PactImperial Dragonknight | Ebonheart PactDunmer Sorcerer | Ebonheart PactDunmer Warden | Ebonheart PactOrc Necromancer | Daggerfall CovenantAltmer Templar | Aldmeri Dominion
  • Anotherone773
    Anotherone773
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    High elf, Breton, or Dark Elf Sorcerer is probably one of the easier classes to play You can use the pet( clanfear) to tank while you learn the game if you feel squishy. You can do both of your bars( you get two ability bars at 15 i think is the level) as lightening/lightening or lightening/flame staff

ESO has many similar elements to Wow. though classes and skill lines are a mess here compared to wow. And you can be a jack of all trades and solo a lot of content made for groups if you are good enough. People have even soloed some of the older trial bosses

Add ons really depend on what you want to do. Combatmetrics for dps/hps, ability up times, etc. A minimap add on because the compass system in TES is annoying. Advanced UI if you want more options with your UI. I would also get skyshards. Every third one you collect gives you a skill point.

The best thing you can do is download minion if you dont already have it for WoW and sort by most downloaded and then just go down the list and look at the popular downloads and see which ones may be helpful to you and what you want to do.
  • El_Borracho
    El_Borracho
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Class is the one thing in this game you can not change later. Sorcs are historically the easiest class to play. They are purportedly the top of the DPS food chain at this moment in time. Nightblades put out tons of damage (used to be top, but now second after the last patch) but are harder to play due to their rotation.

Plenty of guides like alcast and Tamriel Foundry to explain the pros and cons of races, and to give you an idea of what races work with each class.

Most importantly, none of this matters for overland stuff. Class + Race + Gear only come into play with veteran trials, VMA, VDSA, and veteran DLC dungeons. You can do almost everything else with the jankiest build imaginable.

Have fun. Its a great game.
  • Farduumkharis

You've got eight to fifteen characters!

Don't take their word for it - i recommend you experiment & find your own style here.

• AcadianPaladin
    AcadianPaladin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Based on what you say you are looking for, you might consider a magicka sorc. Here are some of the reasons I offer it for you to consider:

- Very mobile. The buffs you use are not tied to a spot on the ground so you can move all you want (unlike a magic templar). Mine moves alot to keep melee trash harmlessly chasing her while leading them into the ground AoEs she keeps on top of casters.

- Easy to buff. Surge and Boundless storm and/or a shield are simple to keep up (unlike templars and wardens).

- Class has major sorcery, major ward and major resolve built into the class buffs with good duration and no other action required except keeping the buff skills active (unlike nightblades).

- Pets can provide some backup for healing (matriarch) and either tanking (clannfear) or dps (volatile familiar) - helpful when soloing.

That all said, I find the magsorc to be a pretty flexible class. For solo work, I build for suvivability, sustain and damage in that order. Surge & Boundless Storm with or without shields and the matriarch can ensure survivability. Pets work well with heavy attacks which ensure sustain. If you have the survivability and sustain, then you can afford to kill a bit slower with moderate dps. Again, I like all that for a solo build.

PC NA(no Steam), PvE, mostly solo
  • yRaven
    yRaven
    ✭✭✭✭
    To put it real simply terms, the Best Begginer class are the Magicka ones, easy sustain, easy equip, don't think, oohh, i like assassins so i will go Stamina Nightblade, don't, you will learn pretty quick that the only roles in this game are DPS, Healer and Tank, there's no TRUE stealth, (I always find funny the Newbies on Battleground try to stealth with Cloak and my Hurricane turning it useless LOL) so as a begginer, i would say for a good start go: High Elf Magicka Sorcerer, there's no error, good in PVE, good in PVP, nice survivabilty

As for Endgame Content, no way to you go Solo, be prepared to spam the the chat

Last thing, believe create a new character and up it to LVL50 again is pretty easy if you know how, the highier your CP the easiest it is, so create a new character, play with it, have fun and when you get on CP160 and have a good equip, start creating new characters to test then and etc...

And remember, be sure to up Crafting Skills in atleast one character, really good idea, far from that and what the guys already said to you... Good Luck
    Edited by yRaven on May 9, 2019 4:35AM
    Jack of all trades. Master of at least one.
    -
    Àrës - Magicka Dragonknight (EP)
    Persephónē - Magicka Warden (EP)
    Athēna - Magicka Templar (EP)
    Hādēs - Magicka Necromancer (EP)
    Hërmës - Runner Troll (EP)
  • ghastley
    ghastley
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can make more than one character, and class is the thing you can't change. I'd create one of each class, and experiment to find out what you like to play.