Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Bookshelves

mlecho74
mlecho74
Do skill books respawn? Even randomly? In other words, if I looked at a particular bookshelf earlier in the game and there was a skill book in it, is it possible for there to be another one later on?
  • Shimond
    Shimond
    ✭✭✭✭
    I seem to have had this happen but I'm not sure if it's an actual case of the phase I was in respawning or just entering a new phase altogether.
  • dolmen
    dolmen
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, I make it a habit to go back every so often and hit the bookshelves in the Mages Guild. It also seems after you have reached a certain level in a zone that you will not receive any more points towards a skill line from the bookshelves.
    The Sidekick Order
  • Gedalya
    Gedalya
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My observation has been that bookshelves are randomized; but only after logging out and logging in again.
    Baskin Robbins always finds out.

Check out my ESO name generator: eso.tamriel.org
  • Xezzu
    Xezzu
    ✭✭✭
    Through the different experiences I've had, as well as the different experiences those I have played with have mentioned (granted, I don't make it a habit to ask everyone what their experiences are about book shelves, it just comes up), it seems to me that it's all completely random.

I seem to find myself getting ranks in skilllines I haven't even touched before, like Provisioning may hit level 2 or the like. Not that I'm arguing, but seems to hint more at it being purely random.

I have so many characters and try to play different ones with so many of my real life friends that I don't know which I have visited already and which I haven't - I just click on most any ones I see. I can't say by doing that, I have ever really seen a drought in gaining points.
    We must all aspire to better ourselves, to better our person and to better our quality; but no matter how much better we become, no single one of us will ever be better than all of us combined.
  • Thete
    Thete
    ✭✭✭
    I have had success twice searching the bookcase in the Harborage, so I'm guessing so. Maybe bookshelves go on cooldown when you search them.
  • Mortuum
    Mortuum
    ✭✭✭✭
    They are random 100% i got 3 different skills from exactly same bookshelf in Daggerfall mages guild hall. But not after relogs, just few days later while visiting/doing quests. It happen several times since then. Can be related to server/daily quest restart, as 25 relogs(just to test it) gave me always same book.