The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

The Mane

Living_Ded
Living_Ded
✭✭✭
The Mane

Full disclosure I haven't finished all the Aldmeri Dominion questlines. Anyone else thing it's likely we'll meet the current Mane in Elsweyr? I'm not sure why but I'm ridiculously excited about the prospect.

LO-people-Nhad-hatta.png
@LivingDed
necro healer, warden healer, templar healer, stam/magblade
  • Claudman
    Claudman
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Er...

Play the Aldmeri Dominion main quest.

I won't spoil anything, just play it...Especially the Reaper's March main quest.
    Welcome, Moon-and-Star, to this place where destiny is made.

I play healers or DPS often for vet dungeons and trials (NA, CP810+). I play mostly elves or Argonians.
    I primarily play Damage-Based stuff in PvP, but occasionally I'll play something tanky or got the heals.
    I also love gaining more knowledge both metaphysical and mundane regarding TES lore.

I also occasionally role-play, but I prefer playing the game.
  • Nimrhys
    Nimrhys
    ✭✭✭
    No but I think you will HEAR of them because I already have in the lead up quest.
  • Living_Ded
    Living_Ded
    ✭✭✭
    Claudman wrote: »
    Er...

Play the Aldmeri Dominion main quest.

I won't spoil anything, just play it...Especially the Reaper's March main quest.

I'd better get on that then :D
    @LivingDed
    necro healer, warden healer, templar healer, stam/magblade
  • ghastley
    ghastley
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just don't get too hung up on that ceremonial outfit.
  • Aristocles22
    Aristocles22
    ✭✭✭
    It would be funny to see the new mane in all that fur. Especially if it kicked in and grew all at once. Something like *THUMP*... "mew?"
  • Number_51
    Number_51
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It doesn't really grow, or not all of anyway. Since The Mane, according to lore, is a separate breed/furstock, I guess we don't really know for sure. From the UESP Lore link the OP provided.
    The Mane is a unique breed of Khajiit. Khajiit tradition holds that only one Mane can be alive at one time and, more specifically, believe that there is actually only one Mane who is reborn again and again in different bodies. There has been no recorded incident of more than one Mane contending for power, although whether due to the truth in the Khajiit belief or whether the ruling Mane takes care of any potential rivals is unknown. Manes can only be born under a rare alignment of the moons Masser and Secunda when, according to legend, a third moon actually appears. In older days the Khajiit would shave off their manes in deference to the Mane, braiding them into locks which the Mane would incorporate into its own mane. As the population grew, however, this became impractical, although the Khajiit still remove their manes and the current Mane still wears the hair of its tribe and Warrior Guard which includes several hundred in number. The Mane is so weighted down by the hair that movement is difficult without aid and they often travel the countryside by means of a palanquin.
    Edited by Number_51 on May 21, 2019 7:38PM
  • ArchMikem
    ArchMikem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Number_51 wrote: »
    It doesn't really grow, or not all of anyway. Since The Mane, according to lore, is a separate breed/furstock, I guess we don't really know for sure. From the UESP Lore link the OP provided.
    The Mane is a unique breed of Khajiit. Khajiit tradition holds that only one Mane can be alive at one time and, more specifically, believe that there is actually only one Mane who is reborn again and again in different bodies. There has been no recorded incident of more than one Mane contending for power, although whether due to the truth in the Khajiit belief or whether the ruling Mane takes care of any potential rivals is unknown. Manes can only be born under a rare alignment of the moons Masser and Secunda when, according to legend, a third moon actually appears. In older days the Khajiit would shave off their manes in deference to the Mane, braiding them into locks which the Mane would incorporate into its own mane. As the population grew, however, this became impractical, although the Khajiit still remove their manes and the current Mane still wears the hair of its tribe and Warrior Guard which includes several hundred in number. The Mane is so weighted down by the hair that movement is difficult without aid and they often travel the countryside by means of a palanquin.

All that is contradicted by ESO though. We're introduced to two possible Manes, Twins. And theyre both portrayed as Cathay, even though they claimed they were born under the special moon phase. Also they and the previous Mane have been alive together for years.

It points to the Mane just being a Title and position given to whoever is born under that moon phase. Theres nothing mystical about it.
    CP1,900+ Master Explorer - AvA One Star General - Console Peasant - The Clan
    Quest Objective: OMG Go Talk To That Kitty!
  • PrinceShroob
    PrinceShroob
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't know how the wiki gets away with saying the Mane is a "unique breed" of Khajiit when the Pocket Guide that's the source of most of the information in that paragraph says "The Mane is no more a 'breed' of khajiit than the other, more common forms of the catmen; he is simply unique..."

The Pocket Guide says that, traditionally, the Mane wears the manes of all Khajiit, and that the current Mane (as of 2E 864) wears the manes of his guard and tribe. This leaves a gap -- such as during the Alliance War, where an immobile Mane would be useless on the battlefield -- during which the Mane could forego this tradition. The Mane in ESO wears a helmet with several braids dangling from it, a more practical wartime version of the tradition of the Mane wearing the manes of other Khajiit.