Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

SCUF VANTAGE PS4 CONTROLLER

BxBourne
BxBourne
Hey looking for feedback on using this controller or any other aftermarket controller and how they perform in ESO especially in PVP. Any and all feedback appreciated.

Thanks.
  • Aurielle
    Aurielle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Vantage (along with most SCUF products) is absolutely terrible and overpriced. Don’t buy it. I had stick drift after one week. Couldn’t aim at all in FPS games. Bluetooth connectivity is terrible, and you can’t turn your PS4 on when it’s connected via USB. The build quality is extremely cheap — looks like a kid’s toy when you see it in person (the promo shots look fine). If you have small hands, it’s also bulky and uncomfortable AF. My Vantage “forgot” my button assignments and I had to reassign them every time I turned on my PS4. The only good thing about it was the “sax” buttons.

A much better, way less expensive alternative: https://collectiveminds.ca/shop/playstation/ps4/strikepack-fps-dominator/

There are shorter replacement paddles you can buy that feel a little more comfortable as well. I can’t recommend this thing enough. I only use one paddle for ESO, which is mapped to the button I’m using for potions, so I can use pots on the run. Very helpful in PVP, as I don’t have to stop moving. Only downside is that you need to have it plugged in to work (it’s better for latency though, so there’s that).

I’ve heard good things about the new Astro controller, but with rumblings of the PS5 coming out next year, you’d honestly be better off going with the Strike Pack if you simply want more buttons.
    Edited by Aurielle on April 29, 2019 11:54AM
  • Aurielle
    Aurielle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Also, I wish I’d seen this before I purchased my Vantage.

https://youtu.be/4h6mLaWs6qU
  • gsthegamer
    gsthegamer
    Soul Shriven
    I purchased the SCUF Vantage late last year. It worked fine until the paddle broke which I had assigned for weapon swap after only two months of use. SCUF sent me new paddles free of charge, but they're made of plastic, and I'm sure they will break again in a similar time frame. I've gone back to a stock PS4 controller. Using R3 for weapon swap works well for me.
  • InvictusApollo
    InvictusApollo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have Razer Raiju that I use for casual gameplay on PC. I can recommend it.
  • kylewwefan
    kylewwefan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Got one for Christmas. It had to be sent back in February. Right thumb stick drift. I really like the longer triggers and taller thumbstick on right shorter one on left.

The left thumb stick and Dpad are reversed. I like that a lot. Also the D-pad has a disc you can use instead of the cross. It’s cool.

You can adjust how far the trigger pull is....I have had issues with that when tanking. It just acts weird.

Biggest thing is probably the paddles. I really don’t have much use for them in this game, but they’re cool :neutral: and assignable.

The thumbstick material feels grippy for about a week. Then it wears off and it’s smooth. They need to look into that.

If you use the plug into controller type headset, you have to use the usb cable with the controller. No idea why? Kind of defeats the purpose of wireless.

Even after all that, I still prefer to use it. It feels much better in my hands than the regular ps4 controller. It was a gift for me. But I know they are pricey. Not a lot of options out there really.
  • BxBourne
    BxBourne
    gsthegamer wrote: »
    I purchased the SCUF Vantage late last year. It worked fine until the paddle broke which I had assigned for weapon swap after only two months of use. SCUF sent me new paddles free of charge, but they're made of plastic, and I'm sure they will break again in a similar time frame. I've gone back to a stock PS4 controller. Using R3 for weapon swap works well for me.

Did you notice any pvp improvements using SCUF? Like bar swapping or more accurate responsiveness to your inputs? I always run into these issues in pvp and its one of the main reasons I die in pvp.
  • Onefrkncrzypope
    Onefrkncrzypope
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    BxBourne wrote: »

Did you notice any pvp improvements using SCUF? Like bar swapping or more accurate responsiveness to your inputs? I always run into these issues in pvp and its one of the main reasons I die in pvp.

If it's latency, you can always change your settings to USB connect.
    -Immortal Redeemer-
    -Extinguisher of Flames-
    -Gryphon Heart-
    -Potato-

If I edited a post, it was for spelling. It is always because of spelling....
  • Eatmyface
    Eatmyface
    ✭✭✭
    I use the Razer and it's been amazing for both quality-of-life and DPS parsing.

Once I got used to it (probably only 20mins on the dummy) everything just got easier.

L2 / R2 adjustment <3 Triggers on the underside <3 mouse-click like buttons <3

Seriously, everything is just so crisp and fast compared to a standard PS4 controller.... Just my experience.

I had some stick drift on my first one but took it back to the retailer and they swapped it on the spot for me, and the second one has been going without issue for about 14 months now.

I guess they have had a few issues with drift, and are happy to straight up replace any that are faulty.
  • BxBourne
    BxBourne
    Eatmyface wrote: »

Once I got used to it (probably only 20mins on the dummy) everything just got easier.

Seriously, everything is just so crisp and fast compared to a standard PS4 controller.... Just my experience.

I had some stick drift on my first one but took it back to the retailer and they swapped it on the spot for me, and the second one has been going without issue for about 14 months now.

I guess they have had a few issues with drift, and are happy to straight up replace any that are faulty.

I had a hunch that these pro controllers would improve gameplay especially for pvp. The fact you're able to fine tune the responsiveness of the controller and replace parts is huge and I notice that the ps4 controllers loose responsiveness over time and you have to press the buttons harder to get a response. This is great feedback thanks.
  • BxBourne
    BxBourne

USB Connect settings?
  • Liww
    Liww
    ✭✭✭
    you cant bind combo buttons like break free or ultimate so what is the exact advantages of these custom controllers?
  • Onefrkncrzypope
    Onefrkncrzypope
    ✭✭✭✭✭

USB Connect settings?

Ok first if you don't have Bluetooth interference there is much of a difference but got to settings devices controllers and if you have a newer controller you can change the communication method to USB. This will only reduce your input latency again only if you have other Bluetooth devices. Phones computers other PlayStations. I do it because he'll why not.

About the scruf. I went and read some reviews and against the regular PS4 ds4 I wouldn't buy. One large reviewer said not only is the controller cheap feeling, buttons are too easy to accidentally pressed(the extra shoulders) but it has stick drift. Like for 200 dollars I'm risking stick drift, yeah right.

I bought the article force on a whim for 40 dollars and it changed the game for me. It has all kinds of settings on the comp it's so much better than the scuff.
    -Immortal Redeemer-
    -Extinguisher of Flames-
    -Gryphon Heart-
    -Potato-

If I edited a post, it was for spelling. It is always because of spelling....
  • Aurielle
    Aurielle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I had a hunch that these pro controllers would improve gameplay especially for pvp. The fact you're able to fine tune the responsiveness of the controller and replace parts is huge and I notice that the ps4 controllers loose responsiveness over time and you have to press the buttons harder to get a response. This is great feedback thanks.

The reason why there’s greater responsiveness with these controllers has nothing to do with the fact that they’re “pro” controllers. Most of them force you to plug them in via USB — that’s where the extra responsiveness comes from. If you’re using the stock controller via Bluetooth, you will have input lag. You can run any stock DS4 controller wired and with USB connectivity mode turned on and see improved responsiveness.

The main bonus provided by pro controllers or accessories is the additional buttons. Right now, if I want to consume a potion, I just press the right paddle on my Strike Pack. Without it, I’d be forced to take my thumb off the left stick (making myself stop, essentially) to hit the up directional button. Being able to consume potions while moving will obviously give you an advantage in PVP.
  • Aurielle
    Aurielle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If I were to blow money on an expensive controller right now (which I won’t, as my $40 Strike Pack will tide me over until the PS5 release — which will likely be next year sometime), it would be this one:

https://youtu.be/tnKnLN8d87o

I like the fact that they’ve anticipated thumbstick drift and have made it possible to fix it on the fly. I also don’t care that there are only two programmable paddles, because I only use one anyway.
  • BxBourne
    BxBourne
    Aurielle wrote: »

The reason why there’s greater responsiveness with these controllers has nothing to do with the fact that they’re “pro” controllers. Most of them force you to plug them in via USB — that’s where the extra responsiveness comes from. If you’re using the stock controller via Bluetooth, you will have input lag. You can run any stock DS4 controller wired and with USB connectivity mode turned on and see improved responsiveness.

The main bonus provided by pro controllers or accessories is the additional buttons. Right now, if I want to consume a potion, I just press the right paddle on my Strike Pack. Without it, I’d be forced to take my thumb off the left stick (making myself stop, essentially) to hit the up directional button. Being able to consume potions while moving will obviously give you an advantage in PVP.

These controllers also gain better responsiveness because they allow you to fine tune how fast the the controllers respond to your input, some have better latency times than ps4 controllers plugged or unplugged most of these controllers also allow you to customize where the controls are placed which also allow for better competitive play and respond time like you said which helps also. Another perk I found is that you can replace parts if they go bad unlike the ps4. With that said I still think $200 is overpriced but they do have several advantages if you want those advantages, if you don't care for those advantages than ps4 controller will do.