The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

True summoner ?!

DemonicSpirit
Being a fan of the ultimate summoner ( necromancer ) in all online games where I can command hordes to do my bidding is the best feeling ever !
When I started playing ESO years ago, I was shocked that there is not such a class , but sorcerer was the closest class to it where you could summon a Storm Atronach, a familiar & a Winged Twilight while buffing them with Daedric Curse & Conjured Ward. Monster set ( maw of the infernal ) allows us to summon an additional minion ( fire breathing Daedroth ). When I heard about the new class ( Warden ), I hoped to get a better summoner where you can actually summon hordes instead of 2 permanent and 1 temporal minions, but I found out that you can only summon one minion that is the bear ( other skills are not considered minions as they are either dots or 1 time cast/animated such as swarm and dive ). After several months, I felt a lot hyped when I heard that they are finally creating necromancer class that I have been waiting for ages to get it. But then again, I was devastated when I checked his skills in the wiki which states that necromancers can only summon Colossus ( for only 3 seconds ), and Skeletal Mage is our only minion ( only for 16 secs ). Blastbones is not considered a minion as it is just a bomb you throw at your enemy.
What part of being necromancer did you apply to this class ?! you can't raise corpses to do your bidding, you don't have actual minions ( except for skeletal ) and you certainly don't have " hordes " as stated mistakenly in the Grave Lord tree description " Raise relentless hordes of the undead ". Please change the necromancer skills and allow it to summon what you promised us and what he is meant to be.
Edited by DemonicSpirit on April 29, 2019 7:49AM
  • GeorgeBlack
    GeorgeBlack
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I find that since ESO is heavily based on animation cancelling, no ability CD, a 5s window frame till the next CC and very quick dmg and HP restoration, a real summoner would a total victim in this environment.
    All the abilities are very simply designed and so a summoner wouldnt have the time to use pets and use the 3 resources

Seeing how unimportant HP is in PvP I dont know how would you manage to get the enemies to deal with your pets instead of putting their rotation on you.
    Edited by GeorgeBlack on April 29, 2019 10:10AM
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The ESO necromancer is closer to Morrowind and Oblivion conjurers of the undead, rather than Skyrim's long term reanimation. In any case, I think the non persistent summons are the best compromise with ZOS' plans for how necromancer interacts with the justice system, not to mention many player complaints about pet AI or pets out in the crafting stations/banks.

As for PVP, the BG sorc pet builds rely on LOS to hide the sorc in the midst of a multitude of targets. I've yet to see it be effective in Cyrodiil.
  • GrumpyDuckling
    GrumpyDuckling
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    OP is right. There's some misleading language that could be viewed as false advertising by ZOS about how the class works.

This is from the website: "Imbue the dead with frost, fire, and lightning to bring ruin upon your enemies. Raise relentless hordes of the undead and allow your fallen enemies to intensify your unyielding assault."
    https://www.elderscrollsonline.com/en-us/updates/chapter/elsweyr

ZOS should look here:
    https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/horde
    "a large unorganized group of individuals : a teeming crowd or throng"
  • Darkstorne
    Darkstorne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Permanent summons would be a big problem if you ever forgot to unsummon them before entering a town. As for a horde of summons, imagine how that would affect Cyrodiil castle sieges. If 10 Necros each had a small army of 10 summons, that's 100 characters on screen right there. Now imagine 30+ Necros in one battle... the servers would implode :#

I agree that their wording is misleading, but there's no way the Diablo 3 style Necro could work on ESO's engine. D3's Army of the Dead skill could have made for an awesome ult though.
  • Madrax573
    Madrax573
    ✭✭✭
    Best Necro was the necro from Guild Wars 1 IMO.
    I'm a bomb technician. If you see me running, try to keep up!
  • DemonicSpirit
    Madrax573 wrote: »

Indeed, it was a true definition of " Master of the hordes " not as stated in ESO wiki "raise 1 minion".
  • Madrax573
    Madrax573
    ✭✭✭
    Madrax573 wrote: »

Indeed, it was a true definition of " Master of the hordes " not as stated in ESO wiki "raise 1 minion".

But at least they were temporary... Raise a horde from the dead around you... made great battle of attrition type characters...

Not really a fan of permanent pets tbh.
    I'm a bomb technician. If you see me running, try to keep up!
  • Aelorin
    Aelorin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hello OP,

I have to disagree, you can summon a bomb mage every 2 sec. You can have a mage/archer and healer out at the same time all day (just resummon in time), and you can transform yourself, so that makes a horde of 4 undead in total.

So far, I really like this class.
    And so the Elder Scrolls foretold.You will be shy, and I will be bold.