The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Few questions from newish player

Beranir
Beranir
Hello I played ESO few years back but I kinda couldnt get into it, my highest char only got to 17lvl before I stopped playing, now I wanna try it again and I have a few questions. First I noticed that there is some housing feature is there any reason other than the pure joy of caring for a house to get one? Second last time I played I was able to made my low level character into vampire, I would like to do it again, is it still possible? and mainly is it still possible with dragon knight, because If I remember corectly I only did it with sorc. Lastly as you could tell my new main character I would like to focus on is dragon knight and my first instincts were go for the tank as in other mmos tanks are my thing, but im not too much into high end game stuff, im much more into lore questing just enjoying in the open world, I wont be powering through levels just so I could go doing raids and I saw some posts talking about how slow it is to kill stuff in open world as a tank. Is it really true? should I rather switch to dmg dragon knight now when im still low level (10lvl), or its not that big of a deal?
  • Banana
    Banana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    House - Money/time sink and some storage if you invest
    Vampire - Any class can get a bite from another player or get robbed from the crown store as long they are not already a werewolf
    Dragonknight can be setup for soloing stuff easily with a tanky setup that also does good damage. Although a stamina sorcerer would be easier.
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Housing as two practical uses, one is storage in the storage chests.
    Second is an target dummy, however the later you car use in others houses to.
    Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • Beranir
    Beranir
    About that vampire I was not talking about being able to get bitten but being able to solo the quest, I know you had to kill some high level mobs and sorc with pet and range combat could do it, dont know about mele dragon knight. Thanks about the housing tho I will wait a bit before going into it if only good stuff is chest there. And finally about that tanky good dmg setup would this be ok https://dottzgaming.com/build/eso-dragon-knight-leveling-build/ im using tank leveling build from here or should I modify it a bit?
  • Bored_Owl
    Bored_Owl
    ✭✭
    Also you can recall to houses for free. I made sure to get all the little apartments (for free from the housing quest) so I can easily port to somewhere at least close to a wayshrine when I'm broke and stuck in the middle of nowhere.
  • DocFrost72
    DocFrost72
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    To answer your question about the vamp quest, the game scales you to the world now. It won't be you vs ten lv38 mobs, you'll be facing down "cp160" enemies while your stats are scaled to cp160 as well. If you did it at low level before, you'll find it a cakewalk now.

Also welcome back!
  • Beranir
    Beranir
    DocFrost72 wrote: »
    To answer your question about the vamp quest, the game scales you to the world now. It won't be you vs ten lv38 mobs, you'll be facing down "cp160" enemies while your stats are scaled to cp160 as well. If you did it at low level before, you'll find it a cakewalk now.

Also welcome back!

Really? thats awesome I will finish my quests in Bal Foyen to get to capitol and I will start looking for some vamp bites, that is a nice change truly.
  • luccerton
    luccerton
    ✭✭
    Beranir wrote: »
    Hello I played ESO few years back but I kinda couldnt get into it, my highest char only got to 17lvl before I stopped playing, now I wanna try it again and I have a few questions. First I noticed that there is some housing feature is there any reason other than the pure joy of caring for a house to get one? Second last time I played I was able to made my low level character into vampire, I would like to do it again, is it still possible? and mainly is it still possible with dragon knight, because If I remember corectly I only did it with sorc. Lastly as you could tell my new main character I would like to focus on is dragon knight and my first instincts were go for the tank as in other mmos tanks are my thing, but im not too much into high end game stuff, im much more into lore questing just enjoying in the open world, I wont be powering through levels just so I could go doing raids and I saw some posts talking about how slow it is to kill stuff in open world as a tank. Is it really true? should I rather switch to dmg dragon knight now when im still low level (10lvl), or its not that big of a deal?

Hi, first of all welcome back to eso. It is a very good time to return to the game now!

To answer your questions:
    Housing is mostly for fun but also can provide a good base for theorycrafting and dps checks or be used as a good crafting hub. You can put down a banker and a merchant in your house. Crafting stations, test dummies and even mundus stones. But all these things are findable in the open world so its more for convenience than anything else really.

As for being a tank or dps, when leveling I would not worry to much. The game is basicly designed to be completed in the open world so you should not have a very hard time. Tanking gives you the benefit of being able to take on many mobs at once but you will be slower in killing the mobs. Having a lot of damage allows you to kill mobs very quickly. But can also set you back a little bit if you are fighting more mobs or a mob hits very hard basicly making it harder to survive with a damage oriented build. For open world I always say the easiest to do is going hybrid. I would not worry to much about a build untill you decide you want to do veteran dungeons or higher.
    Also known as pyroxius, fanatic twitch fan and youtube content creator!
    https://youtube.com/channel/UC5o2wbJtblWL3v5FRaoiNkA?view_as=subscriber
  • agegarton
    agegarton
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Housing
    It's a bit of fun, and there's a growing housing community. In term of use though, you can place set crafting stations, standard crafting stations, various combat dummies, Mundus stones, and functioning chests (for extra storage) in your home. These things, in my view, make having some sort of house essential.

Vampire
    Yeah you can low-level through the Vampire quest. You can buy insta-Vamp via the Crown Store too, at any level. There are lots and lots of characters out there who will bite you, and the vast majority will do it for free. Ask in-zone or join a guild.

Tank vs Other
    In standard questing mode, overland or in public dungeons and delves, you will have no trouble whether you're a tank, healer, or damage dealer. Some of your DK and weapon skills will inevitably be damage-dealing anyway. You might not be able to one or two-shot mobs, but you won't be there for twenty minutes hacking away either! There has been quite a lot of power creep especially in the past 18 months, so you might find yourself more powerful than you remember against anything but the hardest end-stage world bosses, trial bosses, and DLC group dungeon bosses. You'll do just fine.

Good luck - and welcome back. :)
  • ghastley
    ghastley
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tank vs Other

Play up to Level 50 as a hybrid, and re-spec when you get there. You get a level-up reward of a skill respec scroll and a stats respec scroll when you're close to that stage, just hold them a few levels.

You will want to have a target build in mind, so you gather the relevant XP to place the skill points where you want them, although levelling up a new weapon line doesn't take long, and that's not a bad way to use the CP10 to CP160 grind. With a skyshard in each new delve, the skill points themselves shouldn't be an issue.

You'll also want to decide what skills you want from the guild lines and start acquiring those. Most have daily quests to do, and some skills will suit some roles, and not others. Tank would probably want the Undaunted ranged taunt to complement the S&B one.

CP160 is where you re-equip, as you grow out of levelled gear too quickly. Once you hit the cap, your gear is stable enough to improve and it's worth gathering sets. Which sets you need depend on your chosen role, so this is where you assemble the Tank set(s), if you're going to do Tank.

And as a final thought: having decent tanking skills as a DPS will let you take over the role when the GF gives you a fake tank. You may have to change out a few slots, but you'll have more skills than slots on any build.
  • Grianasteri
    Grianasteri
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Houses are mainly for pure enjoyment. There are a number of small free ones, but the more aesthetic and larger homes must generally be purchased from the Crown store. Practically speaking, there are various uses. Target dummies for testing and practicing dps and skill rotations. Storage chests to drastically increase the gear you can retain. Personal crafting stations atunable to any craftable set, meaning you can instantly port somewhere to craft, deconstruct etc.

Vampirism is available to all races and classes. Just ask in area chat or in a guild if you join one (which I strongly suggest you do). Most folk will bite you for free, but some charge. Dont pay, wait for it for free.

Creating a pure tank build, with focus on health and armour/resistance, will make normal progress through overland/quest content frustrating, because your damage will be low. Id look into what is called an "off tank", which blends survivability and damage. There are some good armour sets that lend themselves to this duel role.

Happy gaming :)
  • Beranir
    Beranir
    As I said im using this guide https://dottzgaming.com/build/eso-dragon-knight-leveling-build/ namely the tank one, this guide is awesome in that it shows you all the good picks and their morphs from what I saw. So I was thinking about having one bar with all offensive skills of that guide to have some dps, while having some of the purely defensive on the other. Using sword and shield with destructive staff for some range. Is it useable? Im not very good in making my own builds, looking for stats etc so this guide has been great help in its simplicity.
  • Kaymorolis
    Kaymorolis
    ✭✭✭
    Bor wrote: »
    Also you can recall to houses for free. I made sure to get all the little apartments (for free from the housing quest) so I can easily port to somewhere at least close to a wayshrine when I'm broke and stuck in the middle of nowhere.

This is what I primarily use housing for. it's nice to be able to port right into a major city.

Another reason to buy houses is to access a "home base" nearby. I bought the Sleek Creek house in Reaper's March primarily because it is just outside the crafting mecha of Rawl'kha. I can port in, do any selling or crafting, and be on my way via the local Wayshrine in no time.
    PC | NA
    CP: 240+
    Tai'Zar - 50 Bosmer Stamblade
    Annatar the Fair - 50 Altmer MagSorc
    Rules Through Fear - 50 Argonian Templar