The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

Improvements for melee magicka builds

Victor_Blade
Victor_Blade
✭✭✭✭
ZOS will help melee magicka characters a lot if they add a passive in soul magic skill line which sclaes to your highest resources.

Soul imbue : imbue your weapons with soul power to make them scale with your highest resources. Damage done will scale with either spell damage or weapon damage depending on what is higher.

Heavy attacks will now return resources based on your highest resources pool instead of either magicka or stamina.

This would help magicka melee builds a lot and add flavour and merits to playing at melee range instead of being forced into playing melee cos most of your attacks can be dodged.
  • Deathlord92
    Deathlord92
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love this idea as i play melee magblade always wanted swords to scale of magic and stamina but perhaps if it was all melee weapons axes could instead of bleed do oblivion damage dot or just magic damage dot daggers give spell crit maces spell pen 😊
    Edited by Deathlord92 on April 23, 2019 2:26PM
  • BNOC
    BNOC
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Using swords and having them return stamina is a unique advantage that melee magicka players have over staff users.

Wouldn't want that removed.
    vMSA - Magplar - Xbox EU - 15/11/16
    578,000 - 36 Minutes 58 Seconds (Top 2 World?)

vMSA - Magplar - Xbox NA
    569,000 - 40 minutes (350CP, Non optimised runs)
  • Victor_Blade
    Victor_Blade
    ✭✭✭✭
    BNOC wrote: »
    Using swords and having them return stamina is a unique advantage that melee magicka players have over staff users.

It would be a passive that'll need skill points to activate. If someone still wants stamina return on a magicka melee build then all they have to do is not invest skill points in the passive.

Like a 2 rank passive. 1st rank will make you weapon skill damage scale to max resource and 2nd rank will make resource returns related to max resource pool.

It does make sense unless you're okay with having 3k spell damage but your light attacks only hitting for 400 damage. Which is cool ig.

Edit: added an explanation and theory of how the passive should work.
    Edited by Victor_Blade on April 23, 2019 2:58PM
  • VeritasWaits
    I absolutely love this. My favorite Skyrim characters have always been battlemage and spell thiefs using a combo of magic and weapons. Because of Zos' (in my opinion) weird class and stat approach to an Elder Scrolls game I can't make those types of characters. Some way to either build an effective hybrid or your idea here would totally change the game for me in an awesome way.
  • ShadowKyuubi
    ShadowKyuubi
    ✭✭✭✭
    Now you're gonna make me listen to the prophet for this ability...yeah...that may be worth it.
  • Deathlord92
    Deathlord92
    ✭✭✭✭✭

It would be in a passive so it would be optional 🙂
  • Joker99
    Joker99
    ✭✭✭
    That would only make things worse if stamblades can run staves.
    PC-EU
    DPS Slave:
    StamNB, MagNB, MagPlar, MagDK, StamDK, StamWarden
    Mostly just a scrub. Not even max CP.Actually max CP.
  • Tommy_The_Gun
    Tommy_The_Gun
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interesting. But it would also work the other way as you could be able to use resto staff on a stamina build.
  • LordTareq
    LordTareq
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Perhaps only make this passive apply to melee weapons, to prevent magicka sorcerers with snipe & stamblades with restostaff etc.
    Otherwise a great idea!
  • Fermian
    Fermian
    ✭✭✭
    Well it should not apply to the weapon skills.
  • Bradyfjord
    Bradyfjord
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ZOS will help melee magicka characters a lot if they add a passive in soul magic skill line which sclaes to your highest resources.

Soul imbue : imbue your weapons with soul power to make them scale with your highest resources. Damage done will scale with either spell damage or weapon damage depending on what is higher.

Heavy attacks will now return resources based on your highest resources pool instead of either magicka or stamina.

This would help magicka melee builds a lot and add flavour and merits to playing at melee range instead of being forced into playing melee cos most of your attacks can be dodged.

The passive ability you're proposing is anti risk vs. reward. Players have to make a choice in what to make their builds. As a magicka dk, I swap out different sets based on need. If I need more resource sustain, I look to bloodthorn (weapon/shield/jewelry). But the tradeoff for sustain is not having more resources or throughput from other sets.

I'm not saying there shouldn't be an ability like you say, but it should be tied to something that requires choice. Like an active ability slotted, weapon or armor type, or item set bonus. That said, the rumor is they are revamping the champion point system, so maybe they can address this concern through this revamp.
  • Runefang
    Runefang
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Hate the idea, end result would be the death of stamina vs Magicka.
  • technohic
    technohic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It would be one way of giving us a melee magicka weapon.
  • Bradyfjord
    Bradyfjord
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    technohic wrote: »
    It would be one way of giving us a melee magicka weapon.

They also could revisit the idea of rune weapons in the offhand as a new weapon skill. It was supposed to be in the game, but never made it even into the beta.
  • mague
    mague
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Like !
  • Deathlord92
    Deathlord92
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    LordTareq wrote: »
    Perhaps only make this passive apply to melee weapons, to prevent magicka sorcerers with snipe & stamblades with restostaff etc.
    Otherwise a great idea!
    Yup completely agree with you here the whole point to this passive is so magblade and mag dks can be strong with melee weapons
  • Victor_Blade
    Victor_Blade
    ✭✭✭✭
    LordTareq wrote: »
    Otherwise a great idea!
    Yup completely agree with you here the whole point to this passive is so magblade and mag dks can be strong with melee weapons

Exactly. Considering how magblades are being pigeonholed into being melee dps, this would make sense. Also, it should be only for melee weapons like daggers, 2h. Destro/resto/bow will not benefit from it.
  • Victor_Blade
    Victor_Blade
    ✭✭✭✭
    Runefang wrote: »
    Hate the idea, end result would be the death of stamina vs Magicka.

Well, you can tell a player is really bad if he has to equip a resto on a stam character while having heals like rally/vigor. Besides, my idea was to use it only on melee weapon skills, not ranged.
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

and can be paired with things like archmage if mag sustain on heavies is important.
    Minno - DC - Forum-plar Extraordinaire
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual