The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Dilemma on the stats

Rhaegar75
Rhaegar75
✭✭✭✭✭
Hello all, I really think I could do with some help from BGs experts.
I’ve played a lot in open pvp and managed fairly well also due to the fact that I can play around with a lot of CPs (I’m over the cap).

Joining BGs has led me to a bitter realisation...my stats are crap!!! Either the Crit rate is low or if I raise the damage and Crit rate then I find myself with either stupidly low regent or virtually no defense!!!!

So....can someone tell me what the acceptable numbers are for BGs?
How many much Crit rate? How much penetration or spell/weapon damage? How much resistance?

I was thinking about my magdk: maybe I will need to alter my Heavy Armor build to add more damage through the Light Armor passives.

Very confused!!😳
  • ChunkyCat
    ChunkyCat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Health Regen is the best Regen.
  • WoppaBoem
    WoppaBoem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Special:EsoBuildData?id=114145

Here you go have fun, plus double dot poisons on both weapons. You will do great I love the build
    Xbox EU & NA - PVP Only
  • Karm1cOne
    Karm1cOne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bgs are no cp.
  • jcm2606
    jcm2606
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Non-CP PVP, including BGs, is very different to CP PVP. Due to the fact that you don't have CP there to boost your stats and make up for where your build lacks, you will have to explicitly build for things if you want them. You also have to make choices over what stats you build for, and what you neglect, because trying to build for one stat leaves you short on other stats.

This is likely why you have low sustain (assuming by regen you mean magicka and stamina), as non-CP builds typically have to manually incorporate sustain into their build. Most players choose to run a sustain set as one of their 5-piece sets, but some might choose to run a recovery mundus, a few recovery or cost reduction glyphs, or just change up their playstyle to heavy attack more often.

The way I look at non-CP is like a triangle, where damage, survival and sustain are on each corner. Trying to build for one leaves you lacking in the other two, but building for all three leaves you with all three being relatively weak. Most builds are balanced around two of them, with playstyle picking up the slack for the third.

A magDK build I had focused more on survival and sustain, which meant I could stand toe-to-toe with somebody a bit easier than normal, but I mostly relied on lucky Skoria procs to close kills, since my damage was lacking.
  • brandonv516
    brandonv516
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    jcm2606 wrote: »
    Non-CP PVP, including BGs, is very different to CP PVP. Due to the fact that you don't have CP there to boost your stats and make up for where your build lacks, you will have to explicitly build for things if you want them. You also have to make choices over what stats you build for, and what you neglect, because trying to build for one stat leaves you short on other stats.

This is likely why you have low sustain (assuming by regen you mean magicka and stamina), as non-CP builds typically have to manually incorporate sustain into their build. Most players choose to run a sustain set as one of their 5-piece sets, but some might choose to run a recovery mundus, a few recovery or cost reduction glyphs, or just change up their playstyle to heavy attack more often.

The way I look at non-CP is like a triangle, where damage, survival and sustain are on each corner. Trying to build for one leaves you lacking in the other two, but building for all three leaves you with all three being relatively weak. Most builds are balanced around two of them, with playstyle picking up the slack for the third.

A magDK build I had focused more on survival and sustain, which meant I could stand toe-to-toe with somebody a bit easier than normal, but I mostly relied on lucky Skoria procs to close kills, since my damage was lacking.

I love your take on it here. Very good explanation of how a successful build works in no-CP.
  • Rhaegar75
    Rhaegar75
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    hi guys, thank you so much for all your aswners...very very thought provoking!

JCM06...I simply love your explanation.

what do you make of the 2 builds I linked below? I was very surprised that I can run Fortified brass and actually have more resistance than in heavy armour!

https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Special:EsoBuildData?id=138272 (Light)

https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Special:EsoBuildData?id=138266 (Heavy)
  • jcm2606
    jcm2606
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yep, a solid piece of advice I heard a while ago that stuck with me, is that it's easier to make a light armour build tankier than it is to make a heavy armour build hit harder. Light can run sets like Fortified Brass, Pariah, Riposte, Bloodspawn, or use a couple protective traits on jewelry to make up for the lack of resistance, while still keeping the extra sustain and penetration light offers.

As for your builds, there's a couple problems and alternatives I can see,
    • Ele Drain is on the wrong bar, you can't use it with sword and board, so it'll have to move up to your front bar. I'd maybe swap around Ele Drain and Engulfing, and simply switch to back when you debuff with Engulfing.
    • I'd maybe try Entropy instead of Molten Armaments. It does require a target, so you won't be able to pre-buff with it, but it's much cheaper, applies a minor dot, a minor hot, can heal when you light/heavy attack, and it gives a little extra mag and mag recovery on your back bar.
    • I'd give the sword and board ultimate a try over Meteor. When I tried destro/snb, the sword and board ultimate was fantastic for survival, taking a ton of pressure off when you really need it.
    • I wouldn't use the Thief as your mundus, as crit really isn't that strong in PVP. Can help a little with healing, but doesn't do much for damage, since everybody and their mum runs impen for crit resist. Apprentice would be best for straight damage and healing, Mage would be a little worse off for both but would be better on sustain, and Atronach for straight sustain.
    • Your tri-stat enchants are on the wrong pieces, unfortunately. Big pieces, ie helmet, chest, legs, give the most resources for enchants, so you want your tri-stat enchants on your big pieces.

Aside from that, they look good. Maybe a bit of enchant tweaking, to get your sustain at a comfortable level (with practice, magDK can easily sustain with 1200-1300 recovery, though I prefer higher myself). When I was playing (taking a bit of a break at the moment), I was trying out a light armour build using Bright Throat and Silks of the Sun with Bloodspawn and 3 protective jewelry. High recovery, like 1700 in no-CP, or just under 2k in CP, respectable damage, decent max mag, sat just under the resistance cap with Bloodspawn up (spell resist was just over, phys was about 3k under), and could leap often due to the ultigen from Bloodspawn. Would definitely recommend giving it a go.
  • Rhaegar75
    Rhaegar75
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    jcm2606 wrote: »
    Yep, a solid piece of advice I heard a while ago that stuck with me, is that it's easier to make a light armour build tankier than it is to make a heavy armour build hit harder. Light can run sets like Fortified Brass, Pariah, Riposte, Bloodspawn, or use a couple protective traits on jewelry to make up for the lack of resistance, while still keeping the extra sustain and penetration light offers.

As for your builds, there's a couple problems and alternatives I can see,
    • Ele Drain is on the wrong bar, you can't use it with sword and board, so it'll have to move up to your front bar. I'd maybe swap around Ele Drain and Engulfing, and simply switch to back when you debuff with Engulfing.
    • I'd maybe try Entropy instead of Molten Armaments. It does require a target, so you won't be able to pre-buff with it, but it's much cheaper, applies a minor dot, a minor hot, can heal when you light/heavy attack, and it gives a little extra mag and mag recovery on your back bar.
    • I'd give the sword and board ultimate a try over Meteor. When I tried destro/snb, the sword and board ultimate was fantastic for survival, taking a ton of pressure off when you really need it.
    • I wouldn't use the Thief as your mundus, as crit really isn't that strong in PVP. Can help a little with healing, but doesn't do much for damage, since everybody and their mum runs impen for crit resist. Apprentice would be best for straight damage and healing, Mage would be a little worse off for both but would be better on sustain, and Atronach for straight sustain.
    • Your tri-stat enchants are on the wrong pieces, unfortunately. Big pieces, ie helmet, chest, legs, give the most resources for enchants, so you want your tri-stat enchants on your big pieces.

Aside from that, they look good. Maybe a bit of enchant tweaking, to get your sustain at a comfortable level (with practice, magDK can easily sustain with 1200-1300 recovery, though I prefer higher myself). When I was playing (taking a bit of a break at the moment), I was trying out a light armour build using Bright Throat and Silks of the Sun with Bloodspawn and 3 protective jewelry. High recovery, like 1700 in no-CP, or just under 2k in CP, respectable damage, decent max mag, sat just under the resistance cap with Bloodspawn up (spell resist was just over, phys was about 3k under), and could leap often due to the ultigen from Bloodspawn. Would definitely recommend giving it a go.

Thank you so much!! A true eye opener!!

What do you make of the following build?

https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Special:EsoBuildData?id=138272
  • jcm2606
    jcm2606
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    That looks good. Still missing a tristat on your legs, and I'd maybe swap the traits on your backbar since enchants were nerfed, maybe give defensive or decisive a go on the sword, and sturdy on the shield to reduce the cost of blocking. Aside from that, not much else I can pick out, really. Just a matter of perfecting magDK's playstyle.
    Edited by jcm2606 on April 26, 2019 12:17AM
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I’m no DK expert, but I’d think blood spawn monster would be better than Skoria. I’d think a proc aoe wouldn’t be as good as more mitigation plus more leaps.

Maybe as a DK you can get away without blood spawn, IDK. Thing is expect maybe 10k pen from opponents, 15k with ele drain. From another class’ perspective without wings you’re still a little squishy.

Leap is one of the best ultimates in BGs, blood spawn is good for offense and defense. Without enough mitigation you’ll also always be playing on your back foot and can’t be aggressive.

As a rule of thumb, the more aggressive you are the tankier you need to be, and vice versa. A typical new pvper mistake is to try and spec too much into damage thinking it’ll help them get kills. In reality they just die a lot and always have to play defensively so end up doing less damage.
    Edited by Iskiab on April 26, 2019 5:40PM
    Looking for any guildies I used to play with:
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
    LoC EQ2 - Mayi and Iskiab
    Condemned and Tabula Rasa - Rift - Iskiab
    Or anyone else I used to play games with in guilds I’ve forgotten
  • jcm2606
    jcm2606
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    That looks good. Still missing a tristat on your legs, but that's about it. Now it's just a matter of learning magDK, you're in for a good time, lol.
    Iskiab wrote: »
    I’m no DK expert, but I’d think blood spawn monster would be better than Skoria. I’d think a proc aoe wouldn’t be as good as more mitigation plus more leaps.

Maybe as a DK you can get away without blood spawn, IDK. Thing is expect maybe 10k pen from opponents, 15k with ele drain. From another class’ perspective without wings you’re still a little squishy.

Leap is one of the best ultimates in BGs, blood spawn is good for offense and defense. Without enough mitigation you’ll also always be playing on your back foot and can’t be aggressive.

As a rule of thumb, the more aggressive you are the tankier you need to be, and vice versa. A typical new pvper mistake is to try and spec too much into damage thinking it’ll help them get kills. In reality they just die a lot and always have to play defensively so end up doing less damage.

The main reason why you'd run Skoria on DK is burst. DK lacks burst without their ultimate, so if you can reliably combo with Skoria, you can make up for that. If you have your ultimate, though, leap+Skoria is nasty, bringing most people down to a few percent, where anything can finish them off.
  • Rhaegar75
    Rhaegar75
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    just out of interest...any alternative to Bright Throat?

The second set is Axiom and I like it so I won't change it
  • Urvoth
    Urvoth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ignore your crit rate, it’s basically irrelevant in BGs for most classes. Focus on recovery first since that leads into better survivability and increased damage throughout the game. Once you get more comfortable with your sustain, build in some more damage or survivability.