The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
The issue is resolved, and the North American PC/Mac megaserver is now available. Thank you for your patience!
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8100050/#Comment_8100050

Stamplar in BGs

Vermethys
Vermethys
✭✭✭✭
Hiya,

The past couple of days I've been looking all over for information regarding Stamplar's performance specifically in BGs and I've come across plenty of threads and videos, though most addressed the class from a broader perspective (open world PvP/Cyrodiil). I have a Dark Elf Templar ready for leveling as either Stamplar or Magplar (preferably Stamplar), but I'm not sure if it's worth it at all. I only play BGs, and I main StamDK (with Stamsorc and Stamden on the side) -- all use the same sets and playstyle for simplicity (5 heavy 2 medium, 2h and S&B), and they all perform very well (Stamsorc lags a bit behind). I like how StamDK can face-tank and pressure with DoTs, and how Stamsorc has a hit and run sort of feeling but can still brawl. And Stamden is simply the best of both worlds. NB is not my style and Templar is a mystery to me.

Anyway, in all my time playing BGs, I've seen very few Stamplars (let alone ones that were impressive). So I'm absolutely unsure of what to make of the class and would love to get some insight on its performance in BGs. How does it perform in heavy with S&B? Can it make a good brawler? And is Jabs as bad a spammable as people say it is? (I'm used to juggling Reverb + Heroic Slash, with no experience using cast time abilities).

Thanks ;)
PC EU CP1400+
In-game Username: Vermilion98

Characters & Builds
Edith Geonette [DC Imperial Sorcerer] (AR28)
Gorgo Aendovius [AD Imperial Dragonknight] (AR28)

My Builds:
  • wheem_ESO
    wheem_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Keeping in mind that there are some potentially major upcoming changes...

Simply being Stamina makes it a strong choice, and superior to every offensive Magicka setup except maybe some Mag Sorc builds (and even then they'll generally have a lower margin of error). Really, all non-Nightblade Stam builds are capable of incredibly high damage, mobility, and overall survivability in one package, with no big sacrifices. The ability to self cleanse + dodge roll + sprint + powerful self healing also means that a Stamina Templar is second only to a Sorcerer (and even then only in some situations) in their ability to escape and reset fights. You can even punish pursuers with a properly timed Dawnbreaker + Power of the Light pop combo.

Really, the only Stamina build that might be considered "bad" would be a Stamina Nightblade, and even that's somewhat arguable (depending on enemy teams, level of MMR, and your specific build).

'Course, as I said above it's possible that things will change drastically with Elsweyr's release. If that happens, you could always reset your attributes and skill points, and play your Dunmer as a Magicka Templar. Just wear a little light armor while leveling up and you'll be fine; Staff skills won't be as important, and you can always grind them a bit if you want.
  • MaxJrFTW
    MaxJrFTW
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Don't play a stamplar in battlegrounds, you're a free kill. The class depends on CP to be competitive.

Also, sit back and laugh at the guy suggesting stamplar is better in bgs than magdens, magplars, and maybe magsorcs. There's a solid chance he's trolling.
    Edited by MaxJrFTW on April 8, 2019 12:23AM
    "I don't know you, and I don't care to know you."
    ―Ulrich Leland, 3E 433
  • wheem_ESO
    wheem_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    MaxJrFTW wrote: »
    Don't play a stamplar in battlegrounds, you're a free kill. The class depends on CP to be competitive.

Also, sit back and laugh at the guy suggesting stamplar is better in bgs than magdens, magplars, and maybe magsorcs. There's a solid chance he's trolling.
    Nope, not trolling.

Perhaps I could have been a little more clear: I'm referring to offensive roles in the above post. While a Stamina Templar isn't going to fit well into the role of a healer, they're definitely superior to Magicka builds when it comes to landing kills and surviving heavy pressure (without sacrificing all of their offense). And the more organized things get, the bigger the gap between Stamina and Magicka becomes.
  • Vapirko
    Vapirko
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    wheem_ESO wrote: »

Simply being Stamina makes it a strong choice, and superior to every offensive Magicka setup except maybe some Mag Sorc builds (and even then they'll generally have a lower margin of error). Really, all non-Nightblade Stam builds are capable of incredibly high damage, mobility, and overall survivability in one package, with no big sacrifices. The ability to self cleanse + dodge roll + sprint + powerful self healing also means that a Stamina Templar is second only to a Sorcerer (and even then only in some situations) in their ability to escape and reset fights. You can even punish pursuers with a properly timed Dawnbreaker + Power of the Light pop combo.

Really, the only Stamina build that might be considered "bad" would be a Stamina Nightblade, and even that's somewhat arguable (depending on enemy teams, level of MMR, and your specific build).

'Course, as I said above it's possible that things will change drastically with Elsweyr's release. If that happens, you could always reset your attributes and skill points, and play your Dunmer as a Magicka Templar. Just wear a little light armor while leveling up and you'll be fine; Staff skills won't be as important, and you can always grind them a bit if you want.

Wut? Stamblades are incredibly good in BGs. There are those who say they disappear at very high MMR, but maybe that’s to do with their lack of group utility more than anything. It’s also not going to be stronger just because “stamina,” I find this narrative misleading and somewhat incorrect. I find my Magicka sorc and Magicka DK to be as effective in BGs as my stamplar. And I definitely wouldn’t say that stamina Templar is more effective than Magicka warden in BGs. The whole stamina outplays Magicka hands down argument isn’t accurate and usually pedaled by people who don’t have a lot of experience with both specs over a range of classes. Stamina in general has a an edge, and that’s as far as I would go because it’s really depends on the player and situation as to what can be accomplished (aside from magblades which are trash rn).

But back to the OP, I love stamplar, currently playing a medium SB build which is proving pretty good but normally 2h/DW. The thing with stamplars is that they do have high damage but they’re going to feel squishy and hard to sustain at first. It’s common to hear people say that stamplar is one of the harder classes to play really well. A noob stamplar is going to get squashed without a hope of survival while a veteran player is going to feel really hard to take down and dish out some crazy burst damage.
    Edited by Vapirko on April 8, 2019 1:12AM
  • Morgul667
    Morgul667
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vapirko wrote: »

Wut? Stamblades are incredibly good in BGs. There are those who say they disappear at very high MMR, but maybe that’s to do with their lack of group utility more than anything. It’s also not going to be stronger just because “stamina,” I find this narrative misleading and somewhat incorrect. I find my Magicka sorc and Magicka DK to be as effective in BGs as my stamplar. And I definitely wouldn’t say that stamina Templar is more effective than Magicka warden in BGs. The whole stamina outplays Magicka hands down argument isn’t accurate and usually pedaled by people who don’t have a lot of experience with both specs over a range of classes. Stamina in general has a an edge, and that’s as far as I would go because it’s really depends on the player and situation as to what can be accomplished (aside from magblades which are trash rn).

But back to the OP, I love stamplar, currently playing a medium SB build which is proving pretty good but normally 2h/DW. The thing with stamplars is that they do have high damage but they’re going to feel squishy and hard to sustain at first. It’s common to hear people say that stamplar is one of the harder classes to play really well. A noob stamplar is going to get squashed without a hope of survival while a veteran player is going to feel really hard to take down and dish out some crazy burst damage.

Im starting one foe a guild event and so far it feels much better than my stamsorc

Wouldnt compare it to stamden though but still lots of fun
  • casparian
    casparian
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    It’s a very fun class and has huge burst potential. Unfortunately its entire defensive kit is limited to the ability to cleanse some of the debuffs/DOTs on you a couple of times per engagement. That ability is good in conjunction with the significant healing buffs stamplar used to have (minor vitality, major and minor mending, not to mention 10% bigger crit heals), but those buffs were removed from the class a while back with the exception of minor mending. In other words, you’re going to be very squishy and won’t have any tools to get away.

Stamplar in no-CP these days more or less requires pocket support or very low MMR opponents to excel. It has no proactive defenses, no mobility, worse healing than any other stam class, and doesn’t work well in heavy armor. It still manages to be fun, though.
    7-day PVP campaign regular 2016-2019, Flawless Conqueror. MagDK/stamplar/stamwarden/mageblade. Requiem, Legend, Knights of Daggerfall. Currently retired from the wars; waiting on performance improvements.
  • MaxJrFTW
    MaxJrFTW
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    casparian wrote: »
    It’s a very fun class and has huge burst potential. Unfortunately its entire defensive kit is limited to the ability to cleanse some of the debuffs/DOTs on you a couple of times per engagement. That ability is good in conjunction with the significant healing buffs stamplar used to have (minor vitality, major and minor mending, not to mention 10% bigger crit heals), but those buffs were removed from the class a while back with the exception of minor mending. In other words, you’re going to be very squishy and won’t have any tools to get away.

Stamplar in no-CP these days more or less requires pocket support or very low MMR opponents to excel. It has no proactive defenses, no mobility, worse healing than any other stam class, and doesn’t work well in heavy armor. It still manages to be fun, though.

Thank you. Finding someone that actually knows what they're talking about is rare around here.
    ―Ulrich Leland, 3E 433
  • wheem_ESO
    wheem_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭

What do you mean, "no mobility"? With the ability to do a not-insignificant amount of Dodge Rolling and Sprinting, coupled with a self cleanse/large area snare, Stamina Templar mobility only really falls behind when compared to Sorcs (and if you're just trying to hug LOS in a confined space, it's arguably not behind at all).
  • casparian
    casparian
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

What do you mean, "no mobility"? With the ability to do a not-insignificant amount of Dodge Rolling and Sprinting, coupled with a self cleanse/large area snare, Stamina Templar mobility only really falls behind when compared to Sorcs (and if you're just trying to hug LOS in a confined space, it's arguably not behind at all).

I mean that we have the mobility tools any stam class has (ability to snare opponents, dodge/sprint). No shade, streak, expedition, and our healing isn’t good enough to run FM.
    7-day PVP campaign regular 2016-2019, Flawless Conqueror. MagDK/stamplar/stamwarden/mageblade. Requiem, Legend, Knights of Daggerfall. Currently retired from the wars; waiting on performance improvements.
  • hesobad
    hesobad
    ✭✭✭✭

It's true, in CP stamplars are gods in the right hands. In BGs you'll get demolished. Play stam DK, stamden or stam Sorc in bgs
    Ad Victoriam!
  • Noobslayer3255
    Noobslayer3255
    ✭✭✭

Thank you. Finding someone that actually knows what they're talking about is rare around here.

Dumpstered this guy earlier today in BGs, where stamplars are apparently a free kill, while I was on my stamplar and he was on a magden.

Screenshot-20190410-191638.png

But yeah, keep perpetuating the ridiculous claim that stamplar is bad, and that anyone who disagrees doesn't know what they are talking about.
    Edited by Noobslayer3255 on April 11, 2019 4:01AM
  • MaxJrFTW
    MaxJrFTW
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Dumpstered this guy earlier today in BGs, where stamplars are apparently a free kill, while I was on my stamplar and he was on a stamden.

But yeah, keep perpetuating the ridiculous claim that stamplar is bad, and that anyone who disagrees doesn't know what they are talking about.

Take it easy, player! That's a magden alt that doesn't have all the passives and less than 2 days played. 2 of my team mates also mentioned they were just in it for the motifs and weren't even running impen. You were try harding(now i know why) and chasing my 4v1 half the game because my team was always dead.

You can give me all the *** you want if you ever make it to the high mmr bgs on a stamplar, and dumpster me on my main.
    ―Ulrich Leland, 3E 433
  • Noobslayer3255
    Noobslayer3255
    ✭✭✭

Dumpstered this guy earlier today in BGs, where stamplars are apparently a free kill, while I was on my stamplar and he was on a stamden.

Take it easy, player! That's a magden alt that doesn't have all the passives and less than 2 days played. 2 of my team mates also mentioned they were just in it for the motifs and weren't even running impen. You were try harding(now i know why) and chasing my 4v1 half the game because my team was always dead.

You can give me all the *** you want if you ever make it to the high mmr bgs on a stamplar, and dumpster me on my main.

I was solo queued on a stamplar. You got dumpstered by a class you classified as a free kill. Your team was dead because I kept killing them. I don't even know what you mean by try harding, yeah I was trying to kill people and not die. Like I do every game.

Better luck next time.

edit: a word
    Edited by Noobslayer3255 on April 11, 2019 4:44AM
  • MaxJrFTW
    MaxJrFTW
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

I was solo queued on a stamplar. You got dumpstered by a class you classified as a free kill. Your team was dead because I kept killing them. I don't even know what you mean by try harding, yeah I was trying to kill people and not die. Like I do every game.

Better luck next time.

Once again if you ever make it to a relevant mmr you will find out yourself. In the mean time, keep boasting about killing people on an alt they made 2 weeks ago while they had team mates with 0 impen.
    ―Ulrich Leland, 3E 433
  • Noobslayer3255
    Noobslayer3255
    ✭✭✭

Better luck next time.

Once again if you ever make it to a relevant mmr you will find out yourself. In the mean time, keep boasting about killing people on an alt they made 2 weeks ago while they had team mates with 0 impen.

You're just completely moving the goal posts and discussing "high MMR" matches like it has anything to do with what we are discussing. According to you, stamplar is a free kill in BGs and a magden is a much stronger character. Yet, we are both in the same game, me on a weak stamplar and you on a strong magden, and a stamplar dominated the match.

I'm not boasting, I couldn't care less about going 14-1. It's just funny to see you, so adamantly, saying how stamplar is garbage. Then doubling down on it, going as far as to say people who think otherwise don't know what they are talking about. Yet, I pretty easily won my team the whole match on my stamplar. A game you were in on your vastly superior magden. I died once. Free kill btw.

• MaxJrFTW
    MaxJrFTW
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Better luck next time.

You're just completely moving the goal posts and discussing "high MMR" matches like it has anything to do with what we are discussing. According to you, stamplar is a free kill in BGs and a magden is a much stronger character. Yet, we are both in the same game, me on a weak stamplar and you on a strong magden, and a stamplar dominated the match.

I'm not boasting, I couldn't care less about going 14-1. It's just funny to see you, so adamantly, saying how stamplar is garbage. Then doubling down on it, going as far as to say people who think otherwise don't know what they are talking about. Yet, I pretty easily won my team the whole match on my stamplar. A game you were in on your vastly superior magden. I died once. Free kill btw.

Magden is stronger than stamplar, only an idiot would argue that. Apparently you are. For whatever reason you're also taking this personal so if you want to 1v1, i'm happy to oblige.

You zerged me down 4v1 every time on a class i barely know how to play and you were 1 shotting the 2 that weren't using impen. Then you come out of left field calling me out on the forums as if it was a big achievement. Sounds like boasting to me.
    Edited by MaxJrFTW on April 11, 2019 5:14AM
    ―Ulrich Leland, 3E 433
  • Noobslayer3255
    Noobslayer3255
    ✭✭✭

Better luck next time.

Magden is stronger than stamplar, only an idiot would argue that. Apparently you are. For whatever reason you're also taking this personal so if you want to 1v1, i'm happy to oblige.

You zerged me down 4v1 every time on a class i barely know how to play and you were 1 shotting the 2 that weren't using impen. Then you come out of left field calling me out on the forums as if it was a big achievement. Sounds like boasting to me.

ZeRgEd Me DoWn

HiGh MmR

1v1 mE KiD

You're a meme, maybe next time you can get half as many kills as I do, on a trash class, in a match apparently filled with shitters.

• MaxJrFTW
    MaxJrFTW
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Better luck next time.

ZeRgEd Me DoWn

HiGh MmR

1v1 mE KiD

You're a meme, maybe next time you can get half as many kills as I do, on a trash class, in a match apparently filled with shitters.

You're the one that came to the forums taking things personal, saying you "dumpstered" me because i went 3-4 on a new toon with awful team mates. At least be honest to yourself, every time i was killed in that game it was 4v1. On top of it you're boasting about going 14-1 in a low mmr game against people without impen.

Edited by MaxJrFTW on April 11, 2019 7:32AM
    ―Ulrich Leland, 3E 433
  • Alucardo
    Alucardo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There's a lot of shuffle and quick cloak in BGs, so you'll be hitting 25% weaker than everyone else right off the bat. Are you enticed to play stamplar yet? :)
    Don't forget you'll be missing most of your jabs because of how awful the skill is, so that 25% is looking pretty daunting right now, isn't it? :)
    I know I'm smiling a lot, but I'm crying on the inside. Besides, sustain and damage just feels better on my DK, not to mention I find it more entertaining to play instead of PoTL-jab-jab-jab-DAWNBREAKER-jab-jab
  • Vapirko
    Vapirko
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Alucardo wrote: »
    There's a lot of shuffle and quick cloak in BGs, so you'll be hitting 25% weaker than everyone else right off the bat. Are you enticed to play stamplar yet? :)
    Don't forget you'll be missing most of your jabs because of how awful the skill is, so that 25% is looking pretty daunting right now, isn't it? :)
    I know I'm smiling a lot, but I'm crying on the inside. Besides, sustain and damage just feels better on my DK, not to mention I find it more entertaining to play instead of PoTL-jab-jab-jab-DAWNBREAKER-jab-jab

That shuffle/jabs interaction change was definitely unneeded. We know they’re aware of it, I wonder if they’ll address it in the patch notes. Anxiously awaiting the 15th.
  • Alucardo
    Alucardo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

That shuffle/jabs interaction change was definitely unneeded. We know they’re aware of it, I wonder if they’ll address it in the patch notes. Anxiously awaiting the 15th.

When I first heard about the major evasion change I thought for sure they'd make it so it wouldn't affect Templars primary spammable.
    What was I thinking.
  • WillhelmBlack
    WillhelmBlack
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Stam DK is better. I do alright on my Stamplar but that's because of bleeds/potl and Purifies. I'd say go for it as you'll have another character to play with but go for heavy and cost reduction. You won't have a good time otherwise.
    PC EU
  • Thogard
    Thogard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

When I first heard about the major evasion change I thought for sure they'd make it so it wouldn't affect Templars primary spammable.
    What was I thinking.

To be fair, it works just as well on the wardens too.
    PC NA - @dazkt - Dazk Ardoonkt / Sir Thogalot / Dask Dragoh’t / Dazk Dragoh’t / El Thogardo

Stream: twitch.tv/THOGARDvsThePeasants
    YouTube: http://youtube.com/c/thogardpvp

• Alucardo
    Alucardo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thogard wrote: »

What was I thinking.

Wardens are the reason we needed 25% less aoe damage. Was tired of seeing these bomb squads full of wardens spamming permafrosts, dawnbreakers, steel tornados and sub assaults all over the place. I don't think they had a single target damage ability on their bar at all.
    So yeah, I have no sympathy for them at all.
  • Thogard
    Thogard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    To the people debating stamplar effectiveness:

IMO stamplar is a very strong class. It’s just also a very difficult class to play as it has no passive defense against burst damage (IE wings, shim shield, cloak, streak)

A great player can be very effective on it, but it’s not an easy class for a newer player to learn.
    PC NA - @dazkt - Dazk Ardoonkt / Sir Thogalot / Dask Dragoh’t / Dazk Dragoh’t / El Thogardo

Stream: twitch.tv/THOGARDvsThePeasants
    YouTube: http://youtube.com/c/thogardpvp

• Grimlok_S
    Grimlok_S
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Dumpstered this guy earlier today in BGs, where stamplars are apparently a free kill, while I was on my stamplar and he was on a magden.

That's a suspiciously low damage per kill there. Smells like seal clubbing or kill stealing, perhaps both.

As a stamplar main I can confirm the class is pretty unforgiving at the higher levels. It's defense through cleanse may relieve some pressure, but doesn't help in recovering from pressure. Other classes in a similar role have better tools.

Give it 100 games and see if you still feel the same way.
    Light Attack Hero

Class context
    Stamplar
    StamDK
    Stamsorc
    MagDK
    StamMAGStamden
    Magplar
    Stam NB
    Bomb NB
  • Vapirko
    Vapirko
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thogard wrote: »

What was I thinking.

It’s amazing vs Stamdens. I also suspect it will feel much more effective against spin to win next patch with the execute loss.
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I did some BGs with some stamplars recently. They made it work really well and I feel they contributed most to the team. I was healing so I can’t say what they’re like when I’m not there.

Either way, the class to me looks like it has a lot of potential if you build it right and put in the effort.

Looking for any guildies I used to play with:
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
    LoC EQ2 - Mayi and Iskiab
    Condemned and Tabula Rasa - Rift - Iskiab
    Or anyone else I used to play games with in guilds I’ve forgotten
  • MurderMostFoul
    MurderMostFoul
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I main a stamplar in high mmr bgs on Xbox NA. I do feel like it is "easier" to be successful with some other builds, and acknowledge that life can really suck for a stamplar in bgs without a healer, but it can still do well.

Edited by MurderMostFoul on April 17, 2019 7:33PM
    “There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so.”
  • mursie
    mursie
    ✭✭✭✭✭

ZeRgEd Me DoWn

HiGh MmR

1v1 mE KiD

You're the one that came to the forums taking things personal, saying you "dumpstered" me because i went 3-4 on a new toon with awful team mates. At least be honest to yourself, every time i was killed in that game it was 4v1. On top of it you're boasting about going 14-1 in a low mmr game against people without impen.

Stamplar is good. Magden is also good. Magden is usually even better for bg groups due to the utility it brings with icy fortress and permafrost. major boons to teammates, great damage against opponents.

that is all.

twitch.tv/mursieftw
    twitter: @mursieftw