Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Increase base cost of Shadow Cloak then reduce cost for each piece of light armor worn?

SippingPotions
SippingPotions
✭✭✭
Any input? Would that help solve the problem of stamblades gaining unlimited damage mitigation through stealth and dodge roll without further destroying magblades?
Edited by SippingPotions on April 18, 2019 7:26AM
  • Knootewoot
    Knootewoot
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I think it sounds great.

But, if we go down this path of locking class defining skills behind a armor type... where does it end.

I hate stamsorcs who dish out damage while in a hurricane. Shall that also cost more to cast when not in LA? Or anything Templar related skills or DK?

Everybody hates something. But cloak can be countered by drinking one potion. I use it to flesh out other NB's. I even feel naked without those potions because i know they work.

NB first needs to see what it can do next update. I do look forward to all the changes and a wondering how my magblade will perform in PVP. So before we call more nerfs... can we first addapt to these?
    ٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
    "I am a nightblade. Blending the disciplines of the stealthy agent and subtle wizard, I move unseen and undetected, foil locks and traps, and teleport to safety when threatened, or strike like a viper from ambush. The College of Illusion hides me and fuddles or pacifies my opponents. The College of Mysticism detects my object, reflects and dispels enemy spells, and makes good my escape. The key to a nightblade's success is avoidance, by spell or by stealth; with these skills, all things are possible."
  • SippingPotions
    SippingPotions
    ✭✭✭
    @Knootewoot That's a very reasonable argument and I can totally see where you're coming from with it. I probably should have said this in the original post but I don't really want any nerfs to cloak either.

I just see the constant cries for a "rework" or nerf to cloak on these forums and I can't help but worry that the devs will further gut magblades in an effort to bring stamblades in line with the other classes.

It's hard to argue that stamblades aren't at least a bit overtuned on the live servers, and while I don't really care if they get nerfed or not, I really don't want to see magblades take another hit as collateral damage.
  • Knootewoot
    Knootewoot
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    @Knootewoot That's a very reasonable argument and I can totally see where you're coming from with it. I probably should have said this in the original post but I don't really want any nerfs to cloak either.

I just see the constant cries for a "rework" or nerf to cloak on these forums and I can't help but worry that the devs will further gut magblades in an effort to bring stamblades in line with the other classes.

It's hard to argue that stamblades aren't at least a bit overtuned on the live servers, and while I don't really care if they get nerfed or not, I really don't want to see magblades take another hit as collateral damage.

Agree.

But people can cry nerf for cloak whatever they can. It's still up to the devs.

I have seen so many claims of people saying: "I also play a nightblade and i don't need the cloak. I can survive with the healing morph easily if i wear heavt armor in armor master and impreg and troll king. Cloak is for cowards"

But you know, those people have not played NB. They only played one build which was made because NB has such sheit survivability without cloak. Especially magblade who can dodge roll only twice max.

The problem lies with so many things in this game. Just to name a few (people can argue if it's true or not but it's my point of few)

- damage scaling of max resource (i think it should only be spell/weapon damage and not resource taken into account for more diverse stat migration)
    - proc sets
    - poisons
    - so many skills/armor sets. I know people love freedom and diversity, but it's impossible to balance around it

Sadly this only affects PvP negative. If it was PvE only, i would think all these options were great and awesome. But i don't like ESO PvE It's boring and bland imho. But i do love PvP in this game. If that don't work right i have no reason to continue. For me this year is the make or break it for this game. Lots of great titles come out this or next year which i must play (cyberpunk 2077, hopefully bannerlord, serious sam 4, doom eternal, back 4 blood, Pantheon, GTFO and many more) so i won't be bored at all.

But i want this game to succeed. I put time, money and love into it. So i really hope the next update is a giant leap forward and maybe i go test it on PTS myself. Normally i wait for LIVE. It doesn't need to be perfect. But at least a giant step into the right direction. But i can't take to many nerfs. I only play with one character, which is magblade. And since morrowind i suck in PvP most of the times.

And yes, i am not the best PvP'ers. So is it me, or the class? Well just look how many people play (melee) magblade these days and the amount of topics which claim magblade is the worst. It may be me, but i am not the only one that sucks in that case B)
    Edited by Knootewoot on April 18, 2019 11:21AM
    ٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
    "I am a nightblade. Blending the disciplines of the stealthy agent and subtle wizard, I move unseen and undetected, foil locks and traps, and teleport to safety when threatened, or strike like a viper from ambush. The College of Illusion hides me and fuddles or pacifies my opponents. The College of Mysticism detects my object, reflects and dispels enemy spells, and makes good my escape. The key to a nightblade's success is avoidance, by spell or by stealth; with these skills, all things are possible."
  • darkblue5
    darkblue5
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here's the problem with the suggestion. Cloak as is is a bad skill if you're not essentially pretty ok without it. They could make cloak last for ten minutes and most of the problems with magblade would stand. Shadowy disguise is what turns medium armor stamblade from a marginally bursty spec with no good pressure into a 1vX champ

At the same time magblade is by far the worst class out of cloak and doesn't have the pressure or the defense to not crutch on cloak. The reason magblade sucks it that generally mag classes suck in PvP and need a lot of in class support. Magblade in part doesn't get that in class support because stamblade uses most of the same skills. Stamblade uses Shadow Disguise well in part because it doesn't have to crutch on class skills because stam characters have traditionally been slightly classes. Elder Staves Online and all that turned out to mean that all stam specs rise and fall somewhat together. Also, because you can crutch on cloak if you only focus weak targets and such magblades will still be ok for AP farming. Therefore open-world leaderboards won't fully show their weakness in PvP.

Essentially Cloak is part of why magblade sucks, which is that magblade is being balanced based on cloak not being countered. If ZOS doesn't actually remove Shadowy Disguise chances are they'll essentially remove the non-gank playstyles that use it by gutting them because the class works well when shadowy disguise isn't countered. Shadowy disguise is at the same time mind numbingly easy to counter.

So yeah I don't have a lot of hope for nightblades long term. I'll either be ganking with them or making my stamblade into a heavy bleedblade. Medium stamblade is already on the edge of swinging from somewhat overpowered to totally underpowered in part because heavy armor is a better crutch than roll dodging is with the current AOE tank ball meta. Even newbies under level 50 are quickly going 30-35k and staying balled up.

TL:DR Cloak is an actually bad skill that is only OP against newbs but eventually NBs will be nerfed into the ground because there will at always be newbies that they'll be best at ganking.

(Honestly magsorc, mag dk, and stamden already mash potatoes faster than stamblades which is why the griefers/farmers killing PVEers are mostly playing those classes and not stamblades XD. It just seems fairer because the newbies don't know that they were dead from the start while NB kills seem to come out of nowhere.)
  • Ragnaroek93
    Ragnaroek93
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah why not, I love getting nerfed. Getting three core abilities nerfed isn't enough already.
    I used to think that PvP was a tragedy, but now I realize, it's a comedy.
  • Royalthought
    Royalthought
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Any input? Would that help solve the problem of stamblades gaining unlimited damage mitigation through stealth and dodge roll without further destroying magblades?

If theyre getting unlimited damage mitigation against you, its because youre the problem.

Perhaps a list of aoe, beam abilities, mage light, hunter, potion, etc. that all break cloak might help you?