The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Number of beginner's questions

Bjoern
Bjoern
Soul Shriven
Hi everyone,

I've been playing for just few hours but loving it so far. Coming from cartoonish WoW I'm hooked on how realistic, grim and true fantasy ESO graphics look like.However I have few questions. Thanks in advance.

1. I have purchased ESO plus but DLC's are still visible as buyable in crown store (however with a price cut by half). Where I can download them for free?
2. I have around 2500 crowns atm, haven't bought anything yet. What would be the best choice to spend crowns on in a store for a new player? Mount?
3. Regarding leveling. In various guide I watched it is recommended to follow main quest path. After tutorial I will be welcomed by shadowy figure which will give me 1st quest. From what I undersrand after tutorial I can choose and teleport to one of the cities and in everyone quest will be delivered at beginning in the same way. So do you agree that the main quest will be the best at the beginning?
- Every expansion gives separate main quest for itself so I can also choose to follow one of those at the beginning?
- As I love Skyrim and viking's theme (one of the reasons I play ESO - the only MMO which gives me chance to play character closely inspired by viking's visuals and culture) is there a way I could start my main questing in Skyrim or other snowy areas? For instance I could teleport to Skyrim and start main quest there or I the main quest path with lead me to Skyrim at some moment or maybe another option?
4. I already have Morrowind which was included in basic version. Should I buy at the beginning Summerset and/or Elsweyr?
5. I want to make DK 2h or dual wield stamina build. Is there viable build which will focus on weapon skills instead of fiery abilities? I mean I would like to have my nord based on traditional, weapon skills as possible without fiery animations etc. In the same time would like to stay competitive so here's the question are those builds viable.
  • albesca
    albesca
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    1. As long as you have ESO+ active, you can access the DLC content (zone, quests, dungeons), you don't need to download anything (for example, both the Thieves Guild and the Dark Brotherhood DLC quest lines kick off talking to specific NPCs inside any Outlaws refuge). You can still buy the DLCs, to unlock them forever (or to buy the deluxe version, if it's currently available, to get the bonus contents
    2. I'd say keep them for the time being, and wait until you have a clear idea of the look you want for your character, and then you can buy a mount, pet, costume or other cosmetic to achieve that look
    3. The main quest proper is the one started by the hooded figure, and it gives quite a bit of exp and a skill point with each step, so it's definitely a good place to start. It's instanced to be played solo, though, so it can be hard at first. There's a quest line for each story DLC and chapter and also each alliance has its own quest line; all of this give good exp and skill points, so you can try those. Some of them are connected (Morrowind, Clockwork City and Summerset should be played in this order) but you can mix and match if you don't mind some inconsistencies in the plot. As for Skyrim, a part of the Ebonheart Pact quest line should be there (I haven't played the alliance quest line with my EP characters yet). The main quest for EP chars is based on Stonefalls, though
    4. You already have a ton of quests and general content to play with what you have, I'd wait for a discount at least for Summerset (unless you want to play a crafter, as that chapter gives you access to jewellery crafting)
    5. I'm no expert in builds, so I can't really help you there
    PC EU

Khajiit has no time for you
  • Barnicle
    Barnicle
    ✭✭✭
    Hi and welcome to ESO

in answer to your questions

1 Allthough they are called Down Loadable Content, in ESO they are all part of the original install and, if new, are added duing patch updates. Buying ESO+ just unlocks them.

2 I would say do not buy a crown mount just yet as you get one free when you reach level 10.

3 You and treat the ESO story like a book series, you can play the Main quest and follow the story through from the begining or play the expansions as they come and catch up on the backstory later.

4 The play order starts with the tutorial in Coldharbour which is started by going to one of the main zones where you will be accosted by a Hooded figure. Once you are immersed in the story and improved your charactors you can then decide to invest in the Chapters.

5 As for builds the best advice i can give you is "Google is your Friend". Though i started with a Nord DK which at the momnet is playing as a tank.

It must be stated that answers to 3,4 & 5 are my opinion. I hope you will enjoy playing ESO and HAVE FUN
  • Bjoern
    Bjoern
    Soul Shriven
    Thanks!

So one more thing - from what I've read it would be good to start Molag Bal's Planemeld path as the main quest. However I like the most Daggerfall Convenant starting areas and their faction locations. So I need to buy One Tamriel - where? And star my Nord from scratch choosing DC as a faction (luckily haven't invested much time in him yet).
  • SydneyGrey
    SydneyGrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The "benefactor" quest is the beginning of the main quest-line. It's a great dungeon to let you practice some fighting and get some low-level gear. After that quest, it will automatically dump you into one of three areas depending on the alliance you chose. It will either be Khenarthi's Roost, Bleakrock or Stros M'Kai. Those are the three easiest areas in the game, and I highly recommend you do those for the sake of leveling and getting some training armor.

You'll get a brown horse mount automatically at some early level (I forget which level it is). I'd save your crowns for a few more days while you get acquainted with the game. I remember when I was new to the game I spent crowns on something that was completely useless ... mimic stones, which are useless and a waste of money. It's also a waste of money to spend crowns on things like bag space, because stuff like that you can easily get in the game with the free in-game currency (gold).
  • Barnicle
    Barnicle
    ✭✭✭
    Bjoern wrote: »
    Thanks!

So one more thing - from what I've read it would be good to start Molag Bal's Planemeld path as the main quest. However I like the most Daggerfall Convenant starting areas and their faction locations. So I need to buy One Tamriel - where? And star my Nord from scratch choosing DC as a faction (luckily haven't invested much time in him yet).

Again One Tamriel is the base game .. It was part of an earlier update.

To roll a Nord in DC you will need to buy with crowns (or get someone to gift it to you) the update "Any race, Any alliance" Its in the Crownstore as part of the Adventure Pack under upgrades/Account
    Edited by Barnicle on April 18, 2019 11:47AM
  • Bjoern
    Bjoern
    Soul Shriven
    So to make it clear when I have base game with Morrowind and finish tutorial as Nord:

1. I'll get "benefactor" quest
    2. After completing I will be drop to Bleackrock where I will be able to conitnue main quest
    3. However as it is One Tamriel I can continue leveling on any area I want
    4. To finish DC alliance quest lines I would have to start a game as Nord in DC for which I need 'Any race..'

Correct?
  • Barnicle
    Barnicle
    ✭✭✭
    So to make it clear when I have base game with Morrowind and finish tutorial as Nord:

2. After completing I will be drop to Bleackrock where I will be able to conitnue main quest
    4. To finish DC alliance quest lines I would have to start a game as Nord in DC for which I need 'Any race..'

Correct?

Correct.
  • ghastley
    ghastley
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Since most replies are avoiding question 5, I'll chime in with some opinions.

Using a weapon without "fiery abilities" isn't really going to happen. You'll need to build up a set of skills from both the class and weapon lines, and avoiding the class ones will gimp your build considerably. The full light attack weaving rotation will tend to hide the basic weapon attacks, and the ability effects will be most of what you see.

With either 2-handed or dual-wield you'll want a bow on the back bar to provide damage over time, and area effects (or preferably both at once). Those at least are visually physical attacks.

---

My first character was a Nord using two-hander, and I took too long adding on the bow skills. Grab one as soon as you reach level 15 and can use a second weapon. That still applies if you dual-wield.

Don't worry too much about seeing the sights in the other zones. If you join the cross-alliance guilds, like fighters, mages, undaunted, you'll get sent to the other zones on quests. And if you progress well, you'll soon be doing Cadwell's Silver and Gold in the other regions.

And you have slots for other characters. Why not make a mage in another alliance, and another character in the third? Try completely different builds, like a sword and board tank, or a healer, and see if they offer anything.
  • Davor
    Davor
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Correct?

BUT... after finishing the "benefactor" quest you have Caldwell's Silver quest to do. That means you start doing the next alliance quests. Thing is, you can actually start doing all alliance quest lines at the same time. You may not even know you are doing them.

For example, I started doing Caldwell's Silver while in the Aldmeri Domnion. I haven't even finished that quest line and when Caldwell's Silver started me doing the Ebonheart Pact, I noticed I done some of them.

So don't worry about only doing your own faction quest. You can do anything at any time no matter where.

As for number 1, the reason we can buy DLC even when we have ESO+ is for what ever reason you need to cancel your ESO+ you will still have access to those DLC. What ever you gain from it during it, you don't loose, BUT you can't go back say like Gold Coast for Dark Brotherhood if you don't have ESO+. It will be locked but you will still have your ablities you gained from it like Blade of Woe.

Don't know if you know this but first thing I do is I start the Dark Brotherhood quest just to get the Blade of Woe. This way when I sneak up to someone and assassinate them in one hit, in my mind I am not killing them but "knocking" them out for role play purposes since they come back to life anyway so they never die.
    Not my quote but I love this saying

"I would pay It for support. But since they choosed we are just numbers and not customers, i dont mind if game and zos goes to oblivion"
  • Bjoern
    Bjoern
    Soul Shriven
    Thanks for the help!

One more thing - I can start my EP Alliance main quest on Blackrock isle right after tutorial or I will be dropped there after Wailing Prison quest (which I receive at Devon's Watch) anyway?

Then I continue main faction quest and main game quests simultanously? Or those are the same chains?
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Correct?

Not really.

With One Tamriel, you can do any Alliance's quest line. It's just to be native to the Alliance, you either need to pick one of the 3 races, or an imperial, or have the any race, any alliance upgrade.

Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the help!

One more thing - I can start my EP Alliance main quest on Blackrock isle right after tutorial or I will be dropped there after Wailing Prison quest (which I receive at Devon's Watch) anyway?

Then I continue main faction quest and main game quests simultanously? Or those are the same chains?

You can start EP on Bleakrock at any time, but the Wailing Prison quest will drop you there anyway even if you did Bleakrock first.

The Main Quest and your faction zone quests are designed to be completed at the same time. MQ used to unlock every 5 levels, with Coldharbor happening after you finished your final faction zone. Nevertheless, you can now complete the MQ in one go without needing to do your faction zones. Similarly, you can do your faction zones while ignoring the MQ.

Additionally, you can do all the zones on any character. So if you have an EP Nord, you can do the DC and AD faction questline at any time. Personally, I find it makes more sense to wait until after you've finished the MQ to do so, but that's just my opinion.
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the help!

There is some overlap, in that you need to finish the last quest in your last zone in your alliance to get the quest that let's you continue on the final stages of the main quest. Now, if you have a way to port to Coldharbor, you might be able to skip the last zone quest.

But you can do the zone quests and ignore the main quest, or the main quest and ignore the zone quest, other than the caveat.

However, since your intentions are to do the content, and good for you as it's fun, you will be able to get it all done rather easilly.

• Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As for where your dropped, this has changed several times since release. I think the wailing prison drops you on the starter island, if not it will drop you in a city that has a boat that can get you to that island note, there is also a boat that will take you to the other alliance starter island, just pay attention to the name of where your going.

• BejaProphet
    BejaProphet
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I play a nord tank with 64 attribute points in health, when I want to DPS I swap out gear and can still parse 32k on a dummy. So yes, it is very viable. Don’t listen to any that try to say a nord can’t dps. If I can do that with all attributes into health, imagine what you can do if you actually build for dps. Other races are indeed better suited, but we are talking small differences for those min maxing.

Unfortunately, even as you select weapon abilities they will seem fantastical in appearance. Every class in the game is inherently magical.
    Edited by BejaProphet on April 21, 2019 6:17PM
  • Davor
    Davor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I play a nord tank with 64 attribute points in health, when I want to DPS I swap out gear and can still parse 32k on a dummy. So yes, it is very viable. Don’t listen to any that try to say a nord can’t dps. If I can do that with all attributes into health, imagine what you can do if you actually build for dps. Other races are indeed better suited, but we are talking small differences for those min maxing.

Unfortunately, even as you select weapon abilities they will seem fantastical in appearance. Every class in the game is inherently magical.

So true. Play how you want, the way you want. While you may not be as powerful, if you are having fun with your build then it doesn't matter what the meta is, or how anyone telling you, you are doing it wrong, as long as you are having fun.

Another thing, once you hit CP1, that is past level 50 since level 50 is max, the game at least for me, becomes really hard until you get more CP points. So be careful of that. It's sort of opposite what Oblivion, Skyrim does. Instead of the land/enemies scaling to us, we scale to the game. So playing under level 50 game is easier till you hit level 50. Then gear will really matter what you ware to become stronger, as how I found out.

Also eat food to boost up your stats and or health.
    Not my quote but I love this saying

"I would pay It for support. But since they choosed we are just numbers and not customers, i dont mind if game and zos goes to oblivion"
  • Kaymorolis
    Kaymorolis
    ✭✭✭
    My suggestions:

Find a new-player friendly guild, which should be pretty easy. These types of guilds are gold-mines of information and help.

While leveling, keep your armor up to date. My first character is a dedicated crafter, so I personally replace gear every 10 levels while leveling. If you are in a nice guild then other players might be able to craft you armor sets for free (or at least for a reduced amount).
    PC | NA
    CP: 240+
    Tai'Zar - 50 Bosmer Stamblade
    Annatar the Fair - 50 Altmer MagSorc
    Rules Through Fear - 50 Argonian Templar
  • Pheefs
    Pheefs
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Having a Nord in the Daggerfall Covenant really only matters if you want to PVP AS A BLUE

Blood for the Pact!
    ;)
    { Forums are Weird........................ Nerfy nerfing nerf nerfers, buff you b'netches!....................... Popcorn popcorn! }